3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Bikes  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Bikes
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Pure awesomeness!!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Having had surgery on both knees, both feet and both ankles I can tell you that biking is MUCH easier on the joints. 3 days after my last knee surgery, the Dr. told me to start riding my stationary bike. I was on crutches for 8 weeks, but after week 2, I was strapping my crutches to my mt. bike and riding as much as I wanted. Of course if I would've crashed I am sure my rehab would have been set back quite a bit!   :saywhat:
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline collofthewild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
slick wheels, awesome idea

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Bolin:
Having had surgery on both knees, both feet and both ankles I can tell you that biking is MUCH easier on the joints. 3 days after my last knee surgery, the Dr. told me to start riding my stationary bike. I was on crutches for 8 weeks, but after week 2, I was strapping my crutches to my mt. bike and riding as much as I wanted. Of course if I would've crashed I am sure my rehab would have been set back quite a bit!    :saywhat:  
Yep, I've had 5 knee surgeries (including one to keep from losing my leg) and two weeks after surgery I was on a stationary bike.  On crutches for 6 months, but riding daily.  I still ride every day on the road to keep the joints lubed and working smoothly.

I also imagine that being on a bike makes your outline look more animal like than human if you happen to come up on some critter you can shoot.
-Xander

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I used them for a lot of years to get back in no vehicle areas on public lands. Also just for covering a lot of ground fast during prime gobbling time in the mornings, listening for gobbles on the back roads of public land.

Good game carts also.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
That is one cool bike!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
One thing you can do is field dress the deer, then place his cavity over the seat, tie his legs to bike and push him out. Thats if you dont have a cart .

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
The bikes are really more of a "pedal assist" variety.  You can turn the electric on or off, The battery is supposed to last for over 1,000 charges.

You control the electric via a thumb control like on atvs.  It won't make it up much of an incline without some pedaling, but the pedaling is real easy with a little boost every little bit.

So far it's been fun, and healthy, but I'll stick with it anyway.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 05:58:00 AM »
I have a bike I use on occasion....what are the pros and cons of those type of fat tires?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Terry,
Here in northern MI guys ride the fat tire bikes in a foot of snow.  They're a 'novelty' of sorts still and priced accordingly.  

Pro's-they'll go through sand and snow better than a regular 2+inch knobby tire. They're a little more stable because of the wider tire.

Con-pricier due to novelty compared to a similar 'conventional' bike. Also, bigger tires mean more rolling resistance, so you have to work harder to peddle the bike.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Been seeing alot of hybrid bikes around cambridge and boston,,  pedal it or run it off the motor and these things climb hills with no problem and no loud motor but I hear theres a few companys making them and the 1st thing I thought was light-weight trailer with a buck inside and would it work on the back of one of these bikes...
"Us vs Them"

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
The cons of the fat tires are just that, they're fat, more resistance.  
The pros are the ride mainly.  You can ride over all kinds of things and the ride isn't bad.  Riding in loose sand is what they were created for.  Snow works about the same.  A real wet piece of ground that would stop a regular bike is no problem, with a touch of E.  You don't leave a big rut either.
Yeah there's pros and cons.  The biggest con is the $$$, the biggest pro is that I can ride a bike again and it is healthy for ya.  Even though you don't have to always pedal you find yourself pedaling more and more, and that's a good thing.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Seems like a front-wheel drive bike would have traction problems due to the rider's weight being distributed more over the rear wheel.  Especially when going uphill.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Now I really want to rig up a hunting bike!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I have a bike I use on occasion....what are the pros and cons of those type of fat tires?
The tires were originally designed for sand, riding on the beach., then moved to mountain, snow etc.  Soft and would take most of the impact and shock away - don't know if they puncture easily. Lots of companies getting into this, here is one, retail pricing is there too.
  http://www.fatbeachbikes.com/  
allowed link or not, I think the girl on the bike shoots a Toelke Bow! Ha!

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
That is a really cool hunting bike!  How do you like the noseless saddle?  I've thought about putting one on my mountain bike.  I've heard they take some getting used to but more comfortable once you do.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
For a bike trailer, try the BOB

http://www.biketrailershop.com/bob-yak-bike-cargo-trailer-p-1359.html?gdftrk=gdfV22203_a_7c1234_a_7c8345_a_7c1359_d_TR0502&gclid=CPO2_fuwobgCFShp7Aod2woAyA

Also, Walmart is selling the Mongoose Fat Tire but it is a single speed. Retails for 199.00 online. May be OK on flat roads or paths. I'd have to test ride one before I'd buy it though.
Member NCBA

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Archie,  that's what I thought at first, but with rear wheel drive the front just plows it's way through soft terrain.

Rich,  that's the brand of bike.

Gary, I like the seat a bunch, give one a try.

Duncan, I plan on making a trailer like one of those.
I thought about getting a Wally bike but decided to get what I really wanted.

Hope to see some more pics of rides. Later....   :archer2:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
How bout a trike?

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
just how fast does the electric drive you? does it keep pulling when you stop peddeling?
 how quiet is it?  very interesting!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©