3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny strings & bow warranty  (Read 647 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny strings & bow warranty
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I have a new Timberhawk Monarch.   I love the bow and was thinking of putting a SBD string on it.   I was looking at my warranty and it says it I use a FF string it must be Flemish like the one it came with,  and a minimum of 18 strands.  Will a skinny string void my warranty.  Like I said I love the bow but  wonder if I could even better performance with an SBD string. The warranty is for 5 years so I know the string will need replaced in that time.

Thanks

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny strings & bow warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Call them and see if they will allow a padded loop string without voiding the warranty.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Ok what exactly is a padded loop?

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
You basically add layers of string to the loops. Say you want a 8 or 10 strand string just add strands in the loops to get to 18 strands. SBD will do this for you. But do call the bow maker to see if that is acceptable.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Got it. I sent him an email.   Thanks.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
18 strands of Fast-Flite??-Holy Cow!  I guess it could double as a tow rope if you get stuck in the ditch.
What weight is your bow?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
52# bow.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
let everybody know what you find out
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I am also wondering why it must be flemish and can't be an endless loop string? I use all flemish strings but have never seen or heard of a bow failing because of the difference between a flemish or endless string.   :dunno:
James Kerr

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Standard string diameter is just fine. More importantly is the string brand/type. Some are just better than others. If you are fairly new to the sport you'll benefit from not having to hassle with serving diameters...etc.that come with skinny strings. You'll find plenty of other fun stuff to tinker with. Folks on here like to get carried away with their skinny string claims and jump down your throat if you don't have one. I use 22 stands of 452X. It's pretty much exactly the same diameter as the FF string that came with my black widow. Just a whole lot quieter. It's been brutally humid and hot here. I wouldn't trust a skinny string in these conditions. If you ever tear one you'll invent some new words.

TD

Online Thunyor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Tedd, have you torn a skinny string previously? I saw a post somewhere adding up the individual tension capabilities of skinny strings vs standard 15-18 strands. If I remember correctly, a 8 strand skinny had a total tension capability of 800-900 pounds which is more than enough for a 50# bow. Not trying be argumentative, just stating info I found previously. I can't imagine any string tearing from standard use. I could be wrong though, I don't have the experience that a lot of guys here do so i will default to them. Just my thoughts.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
18 strands seems like an arbitrary rule since differenct string materials have different diameters. for example 8125 is thinner per strand than d97 IIRC. and I think 452x is even thinner ...

I don't see why it would matter anyway if the loops are padded.

Actually at a given arrow speed a skinny string with padde loops should put less stress on a bow than a thick string because the skinny string will stretch more (not as much as dacrton but same concept).

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
18 strands seems like an arbitrary rule since differenct string materials have different diameters.
True.  18 strands of 450+ would be a rope, but 18 strands of 8190 is still fairly small.

I don't see why it would matter anyway if the loops are padded.  
If the string is built properly, it shouldn't--but not everyone knows how to do it right.

Actually at a given arrow speed a skinny string with padded loops should put less stress on a bow than a thick string because the skinny string will stretch more (not as much as dacron but same concept).
Not really.  Strings don't stretch instantly like a rubber band.  With a reduced strand count, you get more creep than stretch with most materials.  Stretch is like a rubber band--elongates and contracts quickly.  Creep is like a rope with a weight tied to it--slowly but surely gets longer, take the weight off it may contract some, but also slowly.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I have torn thin and heavy strings. A couple times. Maybe a 6-8 times over the years. I'm surprised folks don't tear them more often? I had some TS1 that was supposed to be the greatest string ever. I don't know if it had a shelf-life or what. That stuff started tearing regularly until I figured it out. I also had string with a high end custom bow tear. I don't know what type they were. Here is my bow with a 22 strand 452X. Looks norma sized to me.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
I am waiting on a response form the bowyer.  I will let you all know what I find out.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Since we are talking about the breaking strength of individual strands a few years ago I tested that myself and was unable to get anywhere near what the manufacturers claimed. In every case that I tested the string broke at about half of what was advertised.   :dunno:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
I agree. When Dynaflight BCY 10 came out, I made 6 strand strings for my bows up to 45#, which should be well within the strength range of that material.  Then I had one break on me, so now I use 8 strands for all my bows up to 55#, which is as heavy as I go these days.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Since we are talking about the breaking strength of individual strands a few years ago I tested that myself and was unable to get anywhere near what the manufacturers claimed.  
I think that's one reason BCY doesn't publish breaking strengths anymore...and one of the reasons I don't try to push my luck.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
OK I talked to my bowyer. He said there is no problem with a smaller skinny string on my bow. I just need to be sure that it has a minimum of 16 strands in the loops.   As far as it being Flemish or endless loop doesn't matter as long as the loops are thick enough on an endless loop. So I will be ordering a new SBD string soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©