3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake boot question  (Read 624 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake boot question
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
I've got a few trips down south planned for this year and snake protection will be important to me.
Last winter I asked about everyone's preference for snakeboots.  As a result, i'm going to order some Chippewa's to replace my aging Rocky snakeboots.
My problem is I am going to have to order online.  Can anyone tell me if the Chippewa's are true to size?
Thanks
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake boot question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Mine always have been.....
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
Always had good luck with Cabelas snake boots

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Ken,

I'm curious about this too.  A pair of Chippewa's and some Duluth Trading Co. firehose jeans are on my list for upcoming hog hunts!

Bob
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
I really like Turtleskin Snake Gaiters....camo, lightweight, easy on/off but a bit pricey.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
The pair that I have are true to size for me, they're also very comfortable.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I have a pair of zip up red head snake boots. they are light and feel just like tennis shoes. Im getting another pair for my bday in Sept
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
threeunder.... I realize that you mentioned that you've settled on Chippewas..
 That being said, I have to agree with BOHO. I've had several pairs of snake boots 'cause where i hunt it would be foolish not to wear them. The red head bayou zip up's are by far the best i've owned. i wear size 11. i ordered size 11, and they fit just right.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
I truly appreciate the other recommendations. This will be my 4th pair and I'm pretty well set on the Chippewas.
I've had Rocky, Redhead (pretty sure they were made by Rocky) and Danners.
I really liked the feel of both the Rocky and Redheads, but both leaked badly.
Wish the Danners had worked out, but they just wouldn't break-in right for me.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
They run true to size.  I had some before my current Danners and they were great.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, they are not needed past mid-November worse case.  Depending on when you will be in the south, may be better bringing knee AND hip boots
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I've lived and hunted and played in the woods all my life...the only guy I know that has been bitten by a poisonous snake was playing basket ball at his house a 1/4 mile from the courthouse.

So, what I'm saying is its VERY rare....but if you must...good luck on finding a comfortable pare that you can walk in all day....if you do, let me know.  I've owned a few but gave up...uncomfortable and poor quality
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
The Chippewa boots run true...I normally buy a half size bigger then wear them wet for a while and they conform perfectly...and you can walk in them all day. They do get hot though...but here in Texas everything is hot most of the time.

I have killed two rattlesnakes so far this year....in my front yard....

Even if you dont encounter a snake, the snake boots are great for all the thorns, cactus, etc that you will encounter down here....

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
On land managed for hogs, you'll rarely see a snake of any kind.  Hogs eat them.  Most guys bit by snakes are messing with it, or are clearing brush by hand.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Dis-regarding how long it would take me to lace em up at 3:30 or 4:00am..and how hard to get em off after lugging em around on my feet all day...(I even laid on my back and tried hook n' the heel on my truck trailer hitch..they hold a lot of water and I was in the swamps over my knees a lot.

I've tried everything from old snake leggins back in the early 60's to Chippewa's and the one's I disliked the least were some cheap lightweights from Bass Pro. I think I wore those almost 10 times before decided get n' bit by a snake might not be all that bad.

But I would recommend them for others.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Getting bit by a Cottonmouth or Rattlesnake will be life changing...if you don`t die. snake boots are cheap. I have been wearing the zip up red heads for maybe 7-8 years now and no they ain`t as comfortable as my Ga. work boots and they leak after a year or so but I feel confident they will help keep me out of the hospital and providing for my family if I step on ANOTHER cottonmouth or Rattlesnake.I have been very close to being bit more times than I can count and I don`t play with snakes. Its a whole different story once you get down south. Get the chips if thats what you want but be sure you wear them.RC

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Check out the snake chaps - cheaper and just as effective.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=64;t=004833

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
What's a little snake bite..just put a band aid on it.

I recommend them because this is what a snake bite can do and worse. I don't wear the boots, because of years of heavy meds, old age and many surgeries they wear my legs down and I can't get to the places I hunt if I do. Doubt if venom would get in my system anyway my blood is so thin it pours out with just a scratch.

Warning Graphic pictures

Rattle Snake Bite
 Another

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Well I've seen snakes bite people in the woods ...... and heard of even more instances.   A couple of years ago a guy had to be air lifted from a BIG rattler bite.  Not to mention how many times I have walked right past a cottonmouth or copperhead lying off the trail.  I'll wear them until Thanksgiving.    Better safe than sorry.  As docile as copperheads are supposed to be,I had a buddy get bit by a copperhead a few years ago.  He said the only way he could describe it was "somebody put his hand in a fire and he couldn't take it out."

Heck I had to persuade a cottonmouth to get off my trail yesterday.

Boots, chaps, doesn't matter, but in the south, I'd wear something.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Yeah...bites can be nasty.

Not wearing them just isn't something I'm willing to do.  I've worn snake boots every single time I've hunted in warmer weather for the past 15 years or so.  

Aside from a couple of warm weather trips down south this fall, our lease here in Virginia has a nasty reputation for both Rattlers and Copperheads.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Ken Adkins

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I would definitely vote for the Cordura snake gaiters.  I work outdoors alot and they are exponentially more comfortable down here in the South than the snake boots.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©