3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Be careful buying and selling!  (Read 525 times)

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Be careful buying and selling!
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
Just a heads up regarding buying and selling bows and equipment on TradGang. I have bought and sold many, many bows and various items on here and all went very smoothly, with both parties happy, but...........I recently responded to a thread to an individual that was looking for a Tall Tines recurve.

He wasn't interested but another person (Culleng - TradGang name) responded that he would take the bow. On June 20th, he said the money was sent. I had the bow ready to go as soon as the MO was received.

To date, no money has arrived.    :confused:  

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (the post office can mess up, letters could get lost, any number of things), so I e-mailed Cullen at least twice to let him know the money had not arrived and have had ZERO response. That is the part that worries me and causes me to write this thread to warn others to be careful when dealing with this individual.

If my worries are unfounded and I hear from the person, I will retract my statements.

Other than that, THANK YOU TradGang for the great site and wonderful fellowship!!    :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Be careful buying and selling!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.  I agree, most are good people to deal with but there are a few bad ones here too.  It'sa shame ain't it.   :campfire:

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Always good to put out a heads up.... I usually trade with folks I know...  Its unfortunate..

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Yep, I had a similar thing happen with another tradganger.  said he was sending me a payment, after a few weeks, nothing.  No response to my PM.   Oh well, you live you learn. The Mods tried to help with this, but guys pee'd and moaned about them interfering, so its deal at your own risk.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I feel your frustration. The same thing happened to me on that other site. Sometimes, perhaps, the only way to resolve these issues is to go public as you have. Good luck and thanks for the 'heads up.'
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Shortly after joining tradgang I purchased a bow, arrows, broad heads, a quiver and a few other items from various members here. The level of respect and character I've seen here tops any other forum I belong to. Some very good people on this site but there will always be those few.
Leon Stewart lil slammer 56" 45@28
Martin Howatt Hunter 64" 50@28

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I am still waiting for my $700 from Allegheny Mountain Bows.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
I have always been alittle "skittish" about selling anything on the internet... However, That being said, This is the BEST (and pretty much ONLY) place I will do that type of business!!!

TradGang is a FAMILY" and most of our members treat it as such... I have met many people on here, that I consider dear friends, although I have never layed eyes on them!!!!! When we do actualy meet, It's AMAZING how you just sit & talk like you've been next door neighbors for years!!!!!

I also, give everyone the benefit of the doubt... A person registers here, Introduces themselves, Tells us about themselves & equipment, ASKS QUESTIONS!!! (besides "how much is this bow worth") These are the people who become good, valueble TradGang members!!! "They Git It".....

Just because a person only has a few posts on thier profile is no reason to shy away!!! I just had a dealing with a young man here... Adam Fitzgerald,(dixiearcher) and I worked out a deal for a Bear Grizzly. The deal went flawlessly, and I would not hesitate to deal with him again, and will also encourage others to!!!!!

If a person registers here, runs right to the classifieds, and starts doing business..... "Red Flag"!!! Especialy when thier ONLY posts are on the classifieds!!!!!

I still think that TradGang is the BEST place to sell Bows & Equipment!!!!! Just be careful!!!!!

Just one old woodchucker's thoughts.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
No money and no communication after agreeing to buy the bow is certainly inconsiderate and I guess should probably raise some red flags,  but if no bow has been shipped and no money exchanged then I guess  things came out better than what might have happened.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Sometimes the buyer is off on an adventure and doesn't know you are trying to reach him. One of my St Jude auction winners didn't respond for a while, the reason, he was in Canada hunting bears. Real nice guy, just out of pocket for a while.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Good point, Eric!!!!! Things happen.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I think sometimes the temptation to purchase that dream bow over rides financial realities, then the person is too embarrassed to admit that they are out of funds.  As long as they did not send a bad check, it is really nothing more than an inconvenience to the seller.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I really appreciate it when somebody posts up about scammer's or those who aren't on the up 'n up.  This is one of the reasons I prefer to do biz via Paypal (inspite of fees/politics, etc).  If someone says they'll take it, and you don't have the money almost immediately (or when they say they will send it), you can change the status of the item back to available without losing too much time.

That being said, I have to admit that on many sales (with TG'ers who are actively involved in site participation) I have sold based on the mailing of a personal check, and have mailed the items before receiving the check.  Why?  Most folks here are people of their word.  You can check their profile, their history, check their recent posts, etc. if you haven't already had communications with them.  You just kinda know about most TG'ers.     :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Update!!

I just received an e-mail from culleng that he had been out of town and just got back. The original MO may have been lost in the mail. He is going to stop payment on the first and issue another.

It just seems funny that there is know communication until something like this is posted.

Thanks for all the posts and just a good heads-up from/for everybody.

I'm sure it will all be fine!    :)
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I've had a bunch of people on all the trad sites,including here,say "I WANT IT!!! The money is on the way" and never get anything. I give them a little while to respond to my emails. After a few days of no reply,deal is off for me. Even if the person is off on a trip,they can atleast give you the courtesy of letting you know before they go. I've only been burned twice and both were for small items,around $25. Once was on here and my own fault. I answered an ad for a guy looking for broadheads.He seemed like he needed them quick so I did him a favor and shipped them before I got the money. Check was in the mail,must have got lost,I was on vacation,wife forgot to send it,it will go out tomorrow,were some of the excuses I got. In the end the puke never paid.He's probably reading this thread right now to try and figure out how else he can cheat somebody.Hey,pal,hope you send one of those broadheads right over an elk's back!I kept all our pms and even Emailed Terry about it. I know you're not suposed to contact the admin about deals gone bad,but I wasn't asking for anything or any help,just wanted to let Terry know the scumbags' name in case he turns scamming into a habit here.The only reason I even did that is that I saw the guy had another ad up looking for more of the same broadheads.
All in all though this site is by far the best to deal on. I advertise anything I have on here first just on the hope of dealing with the guys I see posting alot here. Made more friends than money on deals here as well.You're bound to run into trash where ever you go,no sense worrying too much about it.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Elkchaser, you are right , nothing causes more mistrust than no communication. That is the best reason to mail money orders and equipment  priority so tracking can work. One check was lost for a 10 days, after it arrived the bow reached the guy in 2 days. One check went to West Virginia for 3 weeks , then arrived in Virginia out of the blue. A bow sent to Palmer Alaska went to see Sarah Palin {Wasillia}  and to the distrubition center { Ancorage} twice before going to the buyer in Palmer. With tracking you know it is on the way. And where else can your bow see so much the country for 25.00? Thanks Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
With me, nothing ships 'til payment is received unless I know you and we've done dealings before. I've had more dealings than I can count on TradGang and have had only one go bad. Sold a Bob Lee to a fellow who's member number was in the 000 range to raise money for Christmas for my kids after a job loss. Shipped the bow before money was received and got royally raked over the coals. Never seen money nor my bow again! Won't do that again.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
In spite of the fact we are a close knit group this is still the internet and all of usual cautions apply...I have only had one deal of many go bad and that was because I did not follow up quickly enough with ****...that seller got shut down eventually under the lure100 name but he is likely still out there trying to do business

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Like Rob I prefer to use paypal too. I usually add some extra even if the seller doesn't want it due to PP's added fees. $3 on the hundred is minimal for insurance of resolve if the seller doesn't ship. Having said that, no seller on TG has ever been less than stellar in my dealings.

Low post count of a seller lends concern, but, paypal removes alot of that concern. Dang near all of it.

One seller of a bow on here worked a deal with me. I asked for some time to get the funds. (waiting for the next pay day 'cause I hate taking money OUT of savings) He shipped the bow on here toot sweet before I mailed my payment. He did not use paypal and took a huge risk sending me the bow (generally speaking, of course) because we've never met face to face, but only here on TG. I'll never forget that act of faith and trust.

If trad bow related, it goes up for sale here first, and here is where I look first for items I want.

Goshawkin is right though....trash can be anywhere.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I got burned once on a St.Judes item, Terry wasn't able to help and I let it go, small amount and it was for the kids, after all.
No problems since and some unbelievable things have happened.
Free arrows, extras thrown in, Bheads shipped with an invoice, it's easy to think all is good. I'll probably keep cruising along with my head in the sand, but things can happen.
Communication is EVERYTHING!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©