3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Catching Trespasser's  (Read 848 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Catching Trespasser's
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
My land is boardered on three sides by state land, and although most hunters respect my posted property, there are three guys who gun hunt that don't. I would like to be able to set up cameras in key locations to catch these guys. Using trail cameras has it's disadvantages due to the motion triggering. I would like to find some cameras that are triggered by a trip cord. I would be able to set the cameras anywhere in the woods and wouldn't have to worry about moving branches and such setting off the camera. Does anyone know were I could find such cameras at a reasonable price. These guys go wherever they feel like it and have gone as far as to rub it in my face. Iv' totally had enough and need to resolve this problem.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Catching Trespasser's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Trip cords would likely alert them to your camera location, allowing them to simply steal it.  I would go with the motion triggered trail camera. I would alson consider a second well concealed camera focused on the first camera. That way, if they do steal the original camera, you may be able to get them for theft as well as criminal trespass.

If you catch them, you may need to very insistent with the prosecutor to act on a misdemeanor case. Prosecute the case most vigorously.
Sam

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
You might want to build a relationship with the local game warden and ask for help/advise too. They may have just the equipment to assist with ease.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Robo-Buck!!!!! Kinda hard for an already skeevy tresspasser to resist!!!!! LMAO!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
You might want to build a relationship with the local game warden and ask for help/advise too. They may have just the equipment to assist with ease.
Talk with the local Warden, they may not be willing to prosecute, even with evidence.  Hate to make you go through all the trouble of catching them only to be humiliated when they walk.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
If you get a camera, get a "blackout" type, with no visible flash.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
When I have tried to go the Game Warden route I have have little success if I even got a response. I hope you can find a solution......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I would start with the warden route. They like to catch these guys too and usually welcome a heads up on violators...
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Trespassing is not a typical game law violation though wardens can and do enforce it.  You might try contacting your local sheriff's office and tell them what's going on.  If you have the names of the violators that's even better.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I would advise the Sheriffs or SPs. They cant opt out of prosecuting. Its not their land, if you have evidence of particular trespassers youll be the complainant. Best bet is persistence with respect and you'll get what you need.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
The problem is, game wardens are typically way too busy with other violations like shooting at night or shooting from a vehicle, come deer season.
Contact a local sheriff deputy and see if he can locate any vehicles parked during the trespassing times.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:

Originally posted by Bud B.:
Talk with the local Warden, they may not be willing to prosecute, even with evidence.  Hate to make you go through all the trouble of catching them only to be humiliated when they walk. [/b]
24 years in law enforcement here. On a simple charge like this, 2nd degree trespassing (the charge for NC), or hunting without permission (violation of NC game laws), is up to the landowner for willingness to prosecute, not law enforcement's. It's law enforcement's duty to assist the landowner/victim.

In NC you can register your land with the state for wildlife officers to patrol, when capable, 24/7 and they will prosecute on your behalf.

Good luck Dave.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Maybe there are some officers here that will contribute their thoughts David. For what its worth here are my thoughts... I understand you are frustrated but trail cams are rather easy to spot, not a cheap investment, and as we all know not hard to steal. I would learn the fine or consequences for the trespassers even if you were able to "catch" them? Talk to the ECO, talk to the Sheriff. See what there attitude and/or interest is in your problem first. Good luck! Jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
If you're going to put up trail cameras... Take a set of climbing sticks or a ladder & put the camera up in a tree, on a limb, facing down on an angle.

We had a guy tresspassing on our property, who also happened to put a trail camera up. we took out the memory card & got a few good pictures of him and his Dunkin Donuts cup adjusting the camera. Then we came back & put the memory card back in the camera. Then, we removed the camera, and my friend used his climber to put the camera about 15' up a tree, not 10' from the tree he had it mounted on... He came back & looked extremely "bewildered"... Like he couldn't remember where he had put the camera!!!!! We got alot of good pictures of him wandering around, looking for the camera... They say "deer never look up" well, niether did this guy!!!!! It was SO FUNNY!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Wow am I glad I don't live in a eastern state! Out here trespassing isn't taken lightly. I think any trespass in our state is a automatic loss of hunting privileges. I think Montana is stricter yet.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
First do you lease this property or just knock on door ground. If you lease it and they rub it in your face you have evru.leagal right to press charges for tresspassin and you local sheriff can do that for you. I wouldnt stop pressin charges every time you catch em call the law tthey will get tired of being writen and ot shows a pattern to the courts as well what sucks is you have to police your ground is your state a citizen arrest state if it is that just helps you more detain them and wait for the law

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Yeh it's no less than fustrating, and I have talked to two dif. CO's about the problem, and maybe I should talk to the sheriff's dept. But as the rule of law go's, without hard proof, it's their word against mine. I have their licence plate numbers and they always park in the same place. Last year they helped themselves to my Tee Pee I have up on the hill. I leave the Door unlocked so the bears can walk in and out instead of climbing on it. So some time after deer season, the three of them went in and built a fire and left the place a mess. This was after I tried to be nice to them and ask them not to hunt on my land because it messed up my hunting. Iv' followed their tracks in the snow right to were they park their trucks. I try to be a law abiding person, but I'm about to take matters into my own hands. Maybe if someone were to let the air out of their tires every time they hunted the hill, they might either change their tune or better yet, decide it wasn't worth hunting here. I won't do that because two wrongs don't make a right, but I sure think about it a lot. Maybe one of the neighbors will beat me to it.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Edited:

I was typing my post when you responded saying you have talked to them.  If they have been warned and asked to please stay out then hammer them. No respect shown, no respect given!
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
You don't want to get caught trespassing Wyoming...
or mistakenly wander on Ute Indian Reservation in Colorado...

I suggest you contact the DEC and work out a solution with a Warden. Looks good for them working a sting operation when they have time to set up prior to the season.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Iv done just about everything suggested on this thread at one time or another. This has been going on for about 10 years now. This last year with the Tee Pee thing has me furious. I do now how to stop it. I'm am going to have one last talk with the Sheriffs dept. If they can't help me, I'm going to suggest they look the other way when these guys complain about someone letting the air out of their tires and throwing the valve stem valves away. I'm willing to bet they will get sick of having four flat tires every time they come back from hunting.I can tell you I'm very slow to anger, but these guys are starting to tread on really thin water.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©