3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Actual FastFlight speed gains ???  (Read 405 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Actual FastFlight speed gains ???
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
How many f.p.s. Will a fast flight string give over a NON fast a flight string on a typical recurve? (As an average)?

Thanks in advance, Skychief.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Actual FastFlight speed gains ???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
It varies, but I've seen 3-5 fps difference.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Minimal speed difference. Noise and stretch are other factors to consider.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
On my Dryad limbs it was over ten fps, maybe more,and had I struck with it, I would of had to totally retune arrows. Don't know if that was a normal difference or caused by the arrows being out of tune etc.. It's the only time I've ever switched FF for B50. It was quiet as a mosquito fart though!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Depends on what you are comparing, but normally around 3-5 fps.  Stretch/creep, stability, and durability are why I prefer HMPE materials over polyester.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Normally 5 but Ive seen 10.  Think about what a preformance difference this is as to compared to a longer draw length  or shooting more poundage!
But for me its just having a quieter, more efficient bow that is dead in the hand upon release!
But the string HAS to be made specfically for your bow to expect these  results. Otherwise you just end up with a overbuilt string thats robs or destroys your advantages!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.   It's about what I expected to hear.  I believe I will stick with Dacron in search of the quietest shot possible.   I can live without such modest speed gains.

Thanks very much all.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.   It's about what I expected to hear.  I believe I will stick with Dacron in search of the quietest shot possible.   I can live without such modest speed gains.

Thanks very much all.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
hmpe fibers - it's not about a speed increase, which isn't all that much, it's about increased consistency as stretch and creep are greatly diminished.

hmpe fiber bowstrings can be as quiet as dacron strings, too.  

if yer bow can handle modern hmpe string fibers, it makes every bit of sense not to use dacron.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Hmpe,   What does that stand for?   What material are these strings made frm?

Thanks!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by skychief:
 in search of the quietest shot possible.  

Try a skinny padded loop FF string. I have b-50,b-55,and a few different FF material strings on my bows.Both flemish twist and endless loop. The quietest is 9 strand padded loop Ultra cam string with half size Hush puppies on it.Picked up some speed too,but the reduced sound alone was worth the switch.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I can't speak for fast flight but I know Dyna flight 10 (force 10) has very noticeable improvements.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I've found about 5 for me with a standard D97 string and about 5 more with SBD skinny string.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
For me I would be shooting a low stretch HMPE string even if there was no speed increase.I don't shoot a low stretch string it for any speed increase.The bow just feels more solid and not springy like with dacron.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
For me, a quiet shot is about tuning and silencer placement.  I can't tell a difference between skinny or not, all else being equal.

HMPE (already defined) is the base material for all "Fast Flight" type string materials.  Original FF was SK65.  Dynaflight '97 is SK75.  Dynaflight 10/Force 10 is SK78.  8190 is SK90--the strongest, most durable HMPE string on the market to date.

Materials like 450+ and 452X add Vectran to further reduce stretch and creep.  Trophy has Vectran and GORE fiber.

I only use BCY products because they only use the best of the best of HMPE fibers--brand name Dyneema.  8190 is the ONLY string material with SK90 in it to date--BCY has exclusive rights.  There are cheaper imitations in some other materials.

Polyester materials (B-55, B-500, B-50) will do the job, but they won't do anything the HMPE materials can't do--except stretch and creep more, and wear faster.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by JRY309:
For me I would be shooting a low stretch HMPE string even if there was no speed increase.I don't shoot a low stretch string it for any speed increase.The bow just feels more solid and not springy like with dacron.
X2
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
As mentioned before, 3 people I have made strings for with 8190 have had to go up in spine.  So you could shoot a heavier arrow the same speed.  So you would be quieter and get better momentum.  All in all a pretty good deal.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
With my longbows the speed increase was not enough to worry about with new strings. However, in every case the bow had a better feel and I could get by with a 5 pound increase in spine.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
For me, a quiet shot is about tuning and silencer placement. I can't tell a difference between skinny or not, all else being equal.

What does this have to do with "Actual fast flight speed gains"?    

If you can't tell the difference between a 6 strand 8125 from a 16 strand B-50 string there is something seriously wrong.... there's a world of difference in speed and noise. enough to effect your arrow tuning big time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©