3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a survivor?  (Read 424 times)

Offline Firefighter154

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Are you a survivor?
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Sometimes I get off the beatin trail to hunt. The thought has crossed my mind, what if I get lost and wanted to build a fire. So today I went in the woods behind my house with nothing but the will to build a fire. I came out of the woods with 3 big blisters and the same will to build a fire. I came really close. It's alot Harder than survivor man makes it look. Has anyone tried this? If not you should. It's kinda fun minus the blisters.

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a survivor?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I always carry a suvial pack with me and have read and practiced suvial techniques, you just dont know when you will need these skills.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
I can start a fire with flint and steel
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
USMC JEST(jungle environmental survival training)been there done that. Now I carry matches in a waterproof container...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I have made friction fire.  That is why I now carry a lighter, firesteel, and matches.  Fire can be life saving and it can be very tough when you need it most.  Great topic.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I have tried and failed. I had to spend a night in a Colorado mountain in 2000 by myself and no fire. I took a medical survivor course with a guy named Peter Kumberfeldt (sp) after that and learned a lot. I learned that backcountry hunting and camping can be tough  :)  I also learned that 3 cotton balls soaked with vasolene and a piece of flint or steel is a helluva a lot easier than 2 sticks. I now carry a small cell phone case sans phone and the following:

1. Extra compass
2. Small signal mirror
3. Plastic whistle
4. 6-10 iodine tablets
5. Matches
6. Steel for fire in case matches don't work
7. cotton balls greased with vasolene in a sandwich bag.
8. 20 feet of cord
9. 4 zips ties for building shelter
10.  1000 mg Tylenol for pain.

Goes where I go in my pack or on my person if I am doing a day hike or any overnight hunt.
Mike Davenport

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I try to always have a lighter in my pocket and matches in a waterproof case in my pack.  As well as a compass and other safety supplies.  Tjhogh I am not as well prepared as Mike.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
I use a striker, magnesium and dryer lint. works great.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Firefighter154

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Well later I went back to the house and got a string and an old cedar arrow that was broke. I thought we'll maybe I would have this stuff with me if I were hunting. So first I made a friction bow to try to spin the arrow fast enough to get an ember. With this method I got a little smoke but the string kept slipping and not spinning the arrow. Next I cut a notch in the top of the arrow, then made two thump loops in the string. The put the middle of the string on the top of the arrow in the notch. This way I could pull downward with the string using my thumbs while I twisted the arrow between my hands. This method created the most smoke, but tore my hands up. It's not over, after my hands heal I will make fire.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
I have built fire with a bow-drill and good oldfashioned flint&steel, many times over the 52 years I've been on this good earth. Spent many nights in the woods (due to my own better judgement) while hunting in the Adirondacks & Maine. Mostly because I was "back in" and not really sure how far I was from the road when it got dark. Spending the night, is a whole lot easier than breaking a leg in the dark!!! (or worse!)

All that being said... I always have one of those magnezium block & firesteel gadjets in my pocket. They are suprizingly easy to use and very inexpensive!!!!! I probly have a dozen of them around the house. Pick one up next time you go to the store and take it on a few camping trips. Or, use it to start a few backyard campfires... You'll be amazed at how well they work, and you will soon probly have a few around the house as well!!!

Just one old woodchucker's thoughts.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Firefighter154

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Very nice Wapiti792. I need to put something like that together.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
My system may be a bit primitive for some, but I carry a tin with char cloth, flint and steel and tinder. Its old school, but it gets a fire made in short order.
In an emergency, rubbing sticks together may be to little to late.
Dont get me wrong, its a great skill to learn, but if hypothermia rears its ugly head, time plays a serious factor.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
If you carry a few matches and a few fritos in a 35mm film canister you can get a fire going. Fritos when hit with a match will burn nicely. Steel wool also will burn nice when hit with a match.

Make sure you test all your fire lighting tools ahead of time to be sure you can do it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Another  trick is a nine volt battery and steel wool, just make sure the battery is not dead.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I got a BG survival kit for a present one year and modified/upgraded it. Amazingly it all fits. carry it in my haversack, matches and knife in my quiver, and a fero rod on my belt knife.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Good topic and something to think about before hunting season.  I'd like to see more of what everyone puts in their emergency kits. I made one up using a Sucrets throat lozenges tin.  It seems a little small.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Ive done it once with nothing but a couple sticks.  It is an amazing.rush when you get it.  Probably as satisfying as that first trad kill.  The trick is not all sticks are created equal.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I carry a small kit with matches a lighter and some solid fuel sticks. had to build a fire once to get warm on a cold day when a wet snow storm blew through without warning. It came in handy for sure

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
My brother and I backpacked up the Ptarmigan Trail (AK) in 1975. When we got to our campsite by a lake, all wood, sticks etc were soaking wet. The only thing we got a small fire going with was pringles. They burnt really well.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Outstanding Rob!
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©