3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob lee compared to widow  (Read 320 times)

Offline nevada cody

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob lee compared to widow
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
Hi guys  i have mostly shoot black widows since 2004 the one i shoot the best is the pma series , i have been looking at the new bob lee bows  with the new stabi lock , i really like the way they look !.  i have  only shoot a very old bob lee recurve that  i did not like,,   cause it  shoot very high for me , i think their might of been something wrong with the tiller on that bow .
cause i also needed higher nock point than what considered normal anyway my question is for you guys that have shoot widow recurves  compared to he new bob lee bows how do they shoot compared to black widow , i have tried many different  trad recurves but since i live in Australia not many bob lee bows
thx Cody
ps sorry for bad spelling i live in australia but originaly from sweden

Re: Bob lee compared to widow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I have shot numerous of both. They are pretty different animals, both excellent choices, good companies, but your style of shooting and expectations will determine which you prefer. I find the Widow shoots a bit harder and faster, Bob Lee more forgiving of imperfections in your release, a softer shot but great accuracy. The Lee will be less fussy about which arrows you shoot, and has a fantastic grip. The Widow is famously bulletproof, has numerous riser configurations and endless possibilities for customization. If you want a short bow, the PCH is the right choice, as it can use a longer working limb. If you want a longer bow, it would be hard to beat the smoothness of the Lee bow.
So, it depends on what you like in a bow. If a Bob Lee didn't shoot well for you, it wasn't tuned properly. Hope this begins to help sort out your selection.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
no need for anymore posts its all said above.
"Us vs Them"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I have had several BW's and several Bob Lee's. The Bob Lee standard grip is nearly perfect for me.  The BW Asbell grip is similar, but the BW standard grip is a bit narrow for my taste.  While individual bows may vary, the typical Bob Lee is a bit quieter than the typical BW.  Both are high end bows made by companies that produce a lot of bows and try a lot of new things. Some of the new things they try work well, some don't.  

One of your fellow Australians, Ozy Clint, hunts with a Bob Lee, and likes it very well, I believe. You will find strong advocates of both bows throughout the world.  Neither bow is a Massarati, but either one could claim to be a Corvette.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Bob Lee bows are top product!  I actually spoke to Bob Lee's son, and he mentioned Black Widow by name and said that they along with Bob Lee were top choices.

I really don't think you could go wrong either way.  its personal preference.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't think you could go wrong with either one.  I  shoot Widows, but had my brother's Bob Lee for several weeks and shot it quite a bit.  I have absolutely no complaints, and was very impressed with it.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I have several Bob Lee bows, great bows, great people. Simply Bomb proof bows

Never owned or shot a widow, but I am confident if I did, I could say the same for widows.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I've had both and love them both, I prefer the widow because I fell in love with one when I was a kid and I swore I would always have one. But comparing them both, the widow is a tad louder, but other than that they both are wonderful. I really like the bob lee grip and the looks of the bow. I've never had a problem with arrows out of either bow, wood to aluminum to carbon they all have flew great for me. I like the mass weight of the widows and I'm sure I would l would love the new bob lee ultimate or the heavyweight! Once again, they both are wonderful and each company is great to deal with. Can't go wrong with either one!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
I started out with a PSA, very nice bow and have had several other top bows since then, currently shooting Bob Lee Ultimate, and for me personally it is the smoothest,deadest bow I have ever shot and I believe will give the widow all it wants in the speed dept. I'm shooting 196 fps with 8.9 gpp arrow. drawing to 29" with 62" recurve. Not bad,but the really impressive part is the mannerism's of the bow. it basically shoots itself.
John 3:16

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I`ve had both and love both. The best I`ve shot with a recurve was with an old MA widow and with and old bob Lee hunter. Both 62" long. Killed a bunch of critters with them. If there were any difference I would say the Bob Lee was maybe quieter.RC

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I had 3 Black Widow brake 2 limbs 1 handle in 8 years,never had a Bob Lee brake in 20 years.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I have had both. And I like the grips on both. But. For performance the widow takes the cake. I feel if you shot a widow pch ESP with 60 or 58 length. You would not be asking this question. It's an amazing bow. Is shoot ability, smoothness, speed, quiet and looks awesome. Try and shoot one.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I have shot both many times. I can't say I would take one over the other.

They both have things I like and are made by excellent bowyers! All that being said, they are very different bows.

The edge I give to Bob Leee is the recurve grip with longbow limbs available.

The edge I give to Black Widow is their forward grip reducing bow torque.

It's a coin toss....

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Obviously, I am partial to Bob Lee's.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=124200#000000

However, my dad is diehard Black Widow. It makes for some fun razzing on the course, and it doesn't help that we are both extremely competitive. We have a large family and friend traditional hunting base. We shoot together at our club every Tuesday, and our group consists of 12 traditional archers.

At the beginning, there were 4 Black Widow Shooters and 4 Bob Lee Shooters. The other 4 were shooting other bow makes. As you can imagine, "Team Black Widow" and "Team Bob Lee" would spout out of our mouths quite regularly during our walks around the course.

Fast Forward 3 years, now the bow demographic is 2 Black Widows, 8 Bob Lees, 2 other makes. My dad being one of the last 2 members of "Team Black Widow" said to me the other day as we were discussing how our money would be spent at Denton Hill this year, "I'm going to be looking at buying a nice Bob Lee.."

I almost choked!!! haha

Either way, the above comments were just for fun. We are a finite group of guys, and don't represent the entire traditional archery population.

My dad has owned and I've shot every model of Black Widow over the years and I've personally owned or shot every model and configuration of Bob Lees over the years except for their new P3. (which i can't wait to try at Denton)

They are both fantastic specimens of traditional archery equipment, and I mean FANTASTIC. You have to decide for yourself which camp you are in and what works with your biology and shooting methods / preferences. My preference as well as the majority of our group of archers perfer Bob Lees and we have similiar biology and shooting methods.

I love searching for "the bow" I finally found mine in my new Ultimate!!!

Enjoy the journey!

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I like the Widow between 11 and 17 yards and beyond 28 but for distances 10 or less or between 17 and 28 the Bob Lee's are unsurpassed.
Seriously though, I have had both and they are great bows.   I have shot dozens of recurves over the years and quite honestly don't think that any of them have a great advantage.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
I would love to meet up with u cpnhgnlngct at denton hill i have three bob lees myself. A heavyweight and a envy and a bob lee recurve i had camo dipped last fall. I will be going to denton on wed and staying until sunday. That would be cool to meet a new tradganger and shoot the bob lees together. Im staying up at pine log motel only a few miles from the show. Let me know if u wouldlike to meet up.  Brad
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline nevada cody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Thx for replies i have a plx longbow on order but my next recurve will most likely be a bob lee a ultimate or heavy weight  i wish i could shoot one first thx again
ps sorry for bad spelling i live in australia but originaly from sweden

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by 3arrows:
I had 3 Black Widow brake 2 limbs 1 handle in 8 years,never had a Bob Lee brake in 20 years.
Dang    :eek:   3 broken black widows? Just wondering what happened, you dont hear of widows breaking too often.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I have had both and liked both. I now have two Widows. The Bob Lee that I had had both long bow and recurve limbs and that is a nice option to have. Personally, I liked the way the long bow limbs shot better than the recurve limbs. I remember it being a great shooting bow but don't remember the reason for selling it.    :dunno:
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©