3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacks  (Read 435 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Backpacks
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Looking for a new backpack for elk hunting.  I saw a badlands 2200.  Anyone use one or have suggestions? I anticipate being out in Mtns for about 5 days.  Three people going together. Hoping my son will pack the heavy stuff,  :-)
Thanks, Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I have spent roughly $80 a year in search of the best "cheap" backpack.  Wish I had just bit the bullet and bought the Kifaru Late Season Legacy a LONG time ago.  Owning one now, I see no reason to ever buy a different pack.  It is my carry on when flying, bag for family weekends and pack for hunting.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Are you going on a backpack hunt? Or are you hunting from a spot and going in everyday. On a backpack hunt I don't the 2200 would be big enough. I do like the Badlands stuff....I have a Diablo, but it's just a day pack.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Take a look at the eberlestock j34. It has a lot of great features. Starts as a 2300 cubic inch pack and can expand all the way up to 7500 cubic inches. I used it on my last elk adventure and spent 10 days up on the mountain and it worked great.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
It is a backpack hunt for 5-7 days. The size of the 2200 was a concern when I looked at it, but I did like the way it fit. I do have one that can work, but it has seen better days so am thinking now might be the time to replace it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I think you should be closer to 5000 for a backpack hunt.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Buy an ilbe pack off of the big auction site.  It's the only sub-$400 pack I'd even consider on an elk hunt.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I would find a place where I could try a few on.....I'm thinking 5000 would big enough if you go light. I have a Kelty I use for 3-4 day hunts in the Adirondacks.....it expands to almost 7000. But there are lots of good ones out there. The guys on here will have more thoughts I'm sure. I wish my knees would let me do it more often....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jim River

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
I used a Badlands 2200 on a seven day backpack elk hunt last year.  With food, water and gear I was just under 56lbs.  This year I am going on a nine day backpack elk hunt.  I upgraded some gear and have everything weighed including the pack and I am just under 45lbs.  I have used other packs but for a pack that can haul in camp, then day hunt with and haul out a quarter if you are lucky to get one down this pack is hard to beat.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Wow....I must take to much stuff.....   :biglaugh:

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Wow....I must take to much stuff.....    :biglaugh:  
I guess we all take to much stuff Ron. I would not think a 2200ci would make a hunt that long.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  A tent, sleeping bag, and clean drawers would almost fill a 2200cu pack for me.  I must wear pretty big drawers.

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I second the ilbe pack. Just got mine and still adjusting it and figureing everything out. Looks to be a good pack with a lot of options.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I have an ILBE and a Eberlestock x1. If I was leaving tomorrow I would take the ILBE.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Jim River

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
My sleeping bag is not in my pack but tied to the bottom on the outside.  If you pack more than 50 lbs of gear for the 2200 you will need to strap some gear to the outside (I use a sleeping bag stuff sack). I will say that anything over 50 lbs is not real comfortable to haul in the 2200 but depending on the style of hunt I do I still find occasion to pack 50 plus pounds but never over 60 lbs.  I have found that the mid 40 lbs in the 2200 is comfortable to haul and everything but the sleeping bag fits in the pack.  When you go with a partner (or two like the original poster intends to do) you can split the shelter and other items which is what I will be doing this year.  What is great about the 2200 is you don't have to drop a ton of money and it is still useable as a day pack.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
There is an REI XT85 in the classifieds.
Measure yourself, and if the torso fit looks right do it.
You'll have a pack you can use for day pack but also carry out quarters comfortably.

The ILBE is a great pack, but a lot of weight. It's based on Arc'Teryx' Bora harness, and is bombproof and can be made into a hunter if you know what to cut off and where.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
camofire.com has badlands a lot. I got my 2800 there. Over 40% off.
 SOL bivy for a sleeping bag

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Used a 1st generation Kifaru Late Season for several years and it was a great pack. Picked up a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab last year and I'm done buying packs!

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by D.T.:
Used a 1st generation Kifaru Late Season for several years and it was a great pack. Picked up a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab last year and I'm done buying packs!
X2 on that one. I have a Dana Designs pack which was his company before Mystery Ranch and wow what a pack. If you want one that will last you a LONG time and carry your gear in for multiple days with as much comfort as possible....look at Mystery Ranch!  They know how to design a pack.  Make sure you look at all the options. Hunting, adventure and backpacking.   Pay a little more than some
Of the standard Bass Pro / Cabellas packs but they are worth it.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Oregon pack works!

Used to be a badlands guy but no more!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©