3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacks  (Read 437 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacks
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Has anyone checked out the tenzing line of packs.

My buddy has the 1200 I believe and its a great and rugged day pack.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
I just ordered a mystery ranch after doing alot of research. Should be here in a week or so...
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
I use and like the Day One backpack. Check them out online. I preferred the ASAT pattern in Bucksuede. You can carry a ton of stuff inside and out, rides great on your back. I really like the little inside pouches for those smaller items. Well worth the money.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
I know Badlands, Mystery, and others have become big names- however, you all really owe it to yourself to check out reviews on Bruzer Gear.  I have their midsize pack and am VERY impressed.  I have nothing vested- check it out.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I have never been on a backpack hunt but I bought a couple weeks ago from Bass a huge Redneck backpack,7000 c.i,which is very comfy.I paid 90$!
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
sorry ,meant Readhead!

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Tell me if you wanna see pics

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
El greco is that redhead pack the one with the plastic frame or the super sweet metal frame pack they just came out with?

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Joe,
I tried to find Day One on the Internet, but found nothing.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
I love my Eberlestock Warhammer. Great suspension system. Utilizes the Alice frame we used in the military. It's about 2k cuin as is but if you open up the load bay, you can zip in a duffel and double it's size. Or zip a duffel to the outside and use the load bay to haul gear or meat.  

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
kuiu 1850 expands an extra  with load sling.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

The frame is plastic.Which is a goog thing because  
it makes the backpack so much lighter.I have no clue if it will hold up in rough conditions,hauling 80-100 pounds but for 90 $ it was too sweet of a deal to pass.this thing is huge.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
El Greco I bought that pack for my first elk hunt in '09. I returned it as soon as I got back. There is no support from the bottom so once loaded it all sags and puts a ton of pressure on your shoulders. The pack its self is great just poor design. They just released a new one you can only get on line so far but the new one is a far better pack and is only 200 bucks.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Kelly cache hauler. Bomb proof
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Kuiu, lightest pack out there. Used it on an 8extra day bivy hunt with South Cox last year. Very comfortable and carried well. Hauled 50 lbs through some rugged stuff it performed well. Had a bad experience with badlands and although its a comfortable pack, won't ever buy one again. YMMV.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
steadman,

Which Kuiu pack and frame did you have ?, even with the smallest pack, and carbon frame, it still weighs more that a Kifaru UL 3700, unfortunately the UL line is no longer available, but was last year. According to what I read on kuiu I can carry over a pound and have almost 1850 ci more room, no argument here just looking at the specs.

P.S. The UL 3700 will be going on a elk hunt this Sept. I also have various pockets, an E+E and a pod, which could expand it's carrying ability to over 5000 ci.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
My 2200 is full on a day hunt, I haul more than I need, but I'm ready for just about everything.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Njloco it was the older carbon framed. It had the 5000 bag. I guess I should have said it's one if the lightest packs. Ive never seen or used a Kifaru so can't compare to that. I've used badlands and eberlestock and now have a KUIU. The KUIU fits me best. Packs are like everything else we use, everyone has their personal preference and what works best for them and what they've had the best luck with. Just throwing out an opinion of a guy who spends a lot of time on the mountain every year with a pack on.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
The first and foremost consideration when buying a pack is the fit.  Otherwise you will be very, very sore!  Second is capacity.  Consider what you carry daily, for the trip duration and what you may need to take out as well.  This means expandability.  Tied for second is probably durability.  What good is any pack if it doesn't hold up to the rigorous demands day in and day out? Some brands have proven their worth in this regard year after year, Badland, Eberlestock and others.  If at all possible, try before you buy with the average anticipated weight in it.  This test will help to separate the boys from the men right away.  But the real test will be when you hike up AND down the mountains with a full load!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I  do  like the idea of the separate carbon frame, then use what  pack  fits  the  trip, i'm no expert and only wish I  could  spend  more  time  out  camping  and  hiking.  Being  older,  when  it  came  time  to  buy, I tried to start  with  the  lightest  and  best I  could  find, I knew  about Kifaru  but  didn't  think to  spend  that  much,  but  the  more I  researched it the more the Kifaru gear made  sense to me.

There is a lot of  good  gear  out  there,  good  luck  with  whatever  you  get.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©