3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow hitting riser?  (Read 403 times)

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow hitting riser?
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I'll attach some pictures of my arrow.  You can see the marks left on it from it hitting my riser.  I can not figure out how to fix this.

I shoot lt handed, arrows are GT 5575 with 50g insert and 150gr tip. it seems to hit even with different weight tips.  and it its hard/ very loud in my opinion. if i shoot thru paper up close it is a perfect tear, bullet hole.  but at 6' it is a 3" nock high tear with the nock end a little to the left.  bear shafts shoot right with fletched shafts.

thanks for any help!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow hitting riser?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Any pics of your riser? Where you believe arrow is hitting it?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

the mark on the arrow is in a direct line with the yellow feather in the corner of the riser.

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
You shoot 3 under or split?

Where is your nocking point now? Do you have a nocking point above and below the nock?

Weight of your bow and your draw? How long the arrows?

Just a few things we may need to give some advice on how to remedy this problem.

But from what your saying your nock point is high. The arrow is saying its stiff since you are a left handed shooter. Have you tried to lower the nock height all the way down to get the arrow showing nock low?

edit: From the pictures your brace height looks low to me what is it at now?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
If you shoot cock feather out and looking at the marks on the riser it appears the bottom of the arrow is hitting the back of the shelf near the black leather grip. If I'm correct this indicates nock low (arrow striking the shelf) thereby kickng the arrow up giving a false high.

Move nock point up 1/8" and so on until good fight is achieved.

Once that is tackled, increase brace to see what happens. I go four turns at a time and check.

One adjustment at a time and check arrow flight for a 1/2 doz or so shots in between.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
thanks for the help.

I shoot three under.  nock is at 7/16ths brace height is at 7 1/4 the bow is a liberty edge. 47lbs at 28" I draw 30" the arrows are full lenth 32".

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Movements on nock height might be very minimal....1/16th" each move.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I also use double string nocks when shooting three under. One above and one below arrow nock.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
the area on the grip was caused by me cutting away rest material.  not the arrow.  I should have included that with my pictures. sorry for the confusion.
Mark

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I saw that, but, the marks on your arrow indicate it's hitting the black leather.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
OK now I have confused myself.... Bud I think you are correct.  I thought I had made a mistake and cut that away but I was wrong.  I just put some two sided tape on that spot and shot.  small pieces of feather were left on the tape after just one shot. I then repeated the process with the same results. indicating that I am hitting that spot!  so at least I now know where I am hitting and I must be getting a false high.

Also I do have two tied on nocks.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
I think you'll get it. Keep us posted  :)

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
One thought is on your form. Is your shooting elbow in line with the shaft at full draw?
I have had the experience where a,really high elbow caused enough pressure on the string to,actually put a bend in the shaft at full draw. All sorts of,contact on shelf results.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I have my nock just under a 1/2" and still hitting the riser on the back side.  Thru paper it shows just a bit nock high.  Arrow is still kicking a bit.  Do I keep going with the nock?

thanks

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Some bows, if tillered for split, will have a higher nock point if shooting three under. Some as high as 3/4" or more.

Keep going and see how it goes.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks again Bud, I'll keep moving on up!

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Here's one for ya.....your arrows are WAY too stiff, my man!!!  You should be shooting a 3555!  Just sayin'!   :saywhat:

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
well I wondered about that,  But the Stu calculator said they were dead on so that's what I went with.  not to mention the 3555 are only 30" long and I draw just a hair over 30"

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Hmmm.....I know I buy the .006's (which supposedly arent as straight)....but I want to say you can get the .003's in 32" length?!  Dont quote me,  I could be wrong on that....
You can always load the front up on what ya got and see if anything changes....maybe if you get closer to 275 - 300 on the point,  you might see your problem go away ......

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
I was just checking.....3555 max length is 30.5......bummer!  More weight up front I guess!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©