3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradbow Redemption Hunt  (Read 370 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradbow Redemption Hunt
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
This story really gets its starts in June, 2007 in the Tsumeb region of Northern Namibia. While it is a story of Africa it is much more about a young man, traditional archery and a long awaited chance at redemption. It is also a story of the satisfaction that comes from hard work and patience while bow hunting.
My son Luke had accompanied me on a 2007 bow hunt to Namibia. It was a great hunt and at nine years old he managed to take a few nice animals with his bow including a red hartebeest, kudu cow and warthog. Towards the end of the hunt the PH had asked if we would consider selling my sons youth compound bow as it was difficult for him to get archery gear for his young son. I said that would be fine and we decided to let my son shoot another small animal with the funds. On the last hour of the last day as we were packing up to head back to camp, a monster Kudu bull strolled into the water hole at 15 yards. My son asked if I was going to take the bull and I told him that it was just out of my hunt budget having been shooting for ten days. I got an instant lump in my throat when he turned to me and said “dad, you can have my money from my bow”. That little guy always seemed to do things like that.  Well, I decided that kudu bull was going home with us but it would be Luke that would get the chance. His eyes lit up when I told him to get ready for the shot.  He took his time and made what I consider to be a perfect shot but I knew something had gone wrong as the penetration was not great.  The bull ran out to 50 yards and gave every indication that he was going to go down. He then just walked away.  The trackers showed up quickly and the sign indicated that the bull would be close by. Over one mile later, we lost the blood trail and he was crushed.
Even at nine years old that incident impacted my son very hard.  At a very early age he seemed to understand the importance and value of every animal we pursue. He talked about that bull for years and vowed that he would return to Africa one day for a second chance. In the winter of 2012 we decided to return to Namibia and set a date for late June of 2013. The excitement began to build from the moment we committed to go and we would be joined on the trip by my friend John Abbott. We would be hunting in the North of the country with Toby Englebrecht.  I really enjoy this place because of the diversity of terrain and the great people of Namibia. This location allows for a variety of hunt styles from stalking to blinds to tree stands and is extremely tradbow friendly. It is a converted cattle ranch from 30-40 years ago and is family based and very comfortable. This would be my third trip to hunt here and I am a man that rarely returns to the same hunting location.  

The grounds are lush but just feet outside the fence the Kalahari sun bakes the dry bush veldt landscape. It is difficult to believe that anything could survive in the environment but there are nearly 20 species of big game roaming this game rich land. Since I was here last, they have constructed a waterhole just 60 yards from the dining room table and this unhunted site attracts a wide variety of game both day and night for viewing. The vast plain next to camp always has many species of antelope in view.

The discussions prior to the trip always came back around to a second chance at a big kudu bull. Luke, now fifteen years old, had moved to traditional archery gear a year before and had practiced a great deal in preparation for the hunt. His stated goal was to wait for absolutely perfect shots on all animals and to bring a big kudu bull back to Georgia.
He spent the first three days of his hunt primarily stalking but the extreme dry conditions and total lack of cover made getting close to the wary plains game species nearly impossible. He did have a few close encounters and passed on marginal shot opportunities at a few animals including impala, gemsbok, zebra, duiker and more.  Around day four he moved to a pit blind named Fig Tree and managed to take a beautiful and very wide impala in the morning.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradbow Redemption Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Later that afternoon he took an old warthog.  He had also passed on several kudu bulls in the 46”-48” range. He had also seen some shooter bulls that did not provide him with quality shot angles.

I had taken an animal earlier on day five and decided to spend the afternoon with Luke in “gemsbok” blind.  We saw a few animals early on but in the last bit of daylight a very good bull strolled into the water at fifteen yards. I reached up to turn the camera on and looked back to see if Luke was ready for the shot. I was surprised to see him still sitting with his Black Widow recurve still hanging up. This was a solid 50” bull but he told me that he had waited six long years for this second chance and he wanted a bull that was as big as the one that had escaped him in “07”.  I gave him a fatherly “bird in the hand” speech but he wanted to do it the way he had envisioned it for the past six years. I couldn’t help but see a little of me in his stubbornness. I also found a way to understand him.
This hunt always turns into a great adventure. There are so many things that we do outside of bow hunting big game.  We also do night drives and chase down a number of critters on foot such as porcupine, genet cat, bush babies, aardvark and spring hare which looks like a cross between a kangaroo and a jack rabbit. An afternoon stalk also provides for a stunning variety and numbers of fowl for a young man to chase with a bow. I just happened to have a video camera running when Luke made a 50 plus yard shot on a fowl.  Luke also fished in a stock tank and caught some African catfish.

We also took some time to get to know some of the local orphaned wildlife that had been raised by the family and frequented the camp. “Princess” was a real looker of a warthog that would try and sneak into the yard several times per day to eat the lush grass. The Jack Russell tracking dogs took great pleasure in chasing her and her young from the lawn several times daily.  

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Over the next few days he hunted from both blinds and tree stands and would have some awesome encounters with many bulls that were just not what he was looking for or giant bulls that never seemed to present perfect shot angles.

During this time he did manage to take a great cow red hartebeest and a good springbok ram.

Around day seven I watched as Luke and his PH returned to camp at a high rate of speed. It was clear that something big had happened. As we all gathered around, Luke recounted the excitement of the day. He had as many as 7 big kudu bulls around him along with a host of cows and other species. He had decided to take a great bull but it simply would not give him the perfect shot angle. He watched in frustration as the bull drank head on and just simply turned to walk away. He thought the game was over but a cow kudu caught the attention of the big bull and she pulled him back. When the big bull was at 12 yards, Luke made the perfect shot.
The concern was arrow penetration. This had happened on his 2007 bull and Luke was seriously concerned. I did my best to assure him that a Kudu in not a wide animal and even marginal penetration would put him down. Secretly however, I was praying with all my might that this would turn out right for someone that had worked so hard to break the so called “kudu voodoo”. We gave the bull plenty of time and the whole gang piled into the trucks. Nobody wanted to miss out on the end of this story and we followed a line of bushman trackers, other trackers with dogs and two PH’s into the bush. His arrow was quickly found and I was sure from the looks of it along with the viewing of the shot on video that his bulls would be close. Still, I continued to pray.
The blood sign was very easy to follow and at around two hundred yards we came upon the great bull. The excitement for everyone was unreal but I was nearly overwhelmed with relief.  His shot had indeed been perfect. The big bull weighed in at between 700 and 800 pounds and would require that a road be hacked in to him for recovery. As Luke and I sat alone in the brush, he spoke little of the size of the horns. He was clearly proud that he had honored the great bull with a perfect shot and quick death. He was also relieved that after six long years, the Kudu voodoo had been lifted for good and redemption had finally come.  

For more information on this incredible bow hunting destination you can visit my website at  www.russelloutdoorguides.com  and click the "Africa" page  or contact me directly at [email protected]. Africa is much less expensive than most people think.
I am hopeful that the telling of these stories will inspire anyone that has a trip that they have dreamed of to do your best to make it come true.  Thanks for taking the time to go along on Luke’s adventure. It is a trip that we will never forget.  

Jerry Russell

Luke’s equipment on this hunt included:
Bow: Black Widow MA series recurve- 56#@28”
Grizzly Stick Arrows
Steel Force “Hellfire” 150 gr. Broadheads

Look for the second part of our story entitled “Tradbow in the Treetops- Africa”. All of these hunts were captured on video and will be produced as soon as possible.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Fantastic ! Thanks for sharing
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. All the animals look great...especially that Kudu. Africa is awesome.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Incredible story! Thanks for sharing.  :clapper:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I was along with Jerry and Luke on this adventure, and I can't say enough about how much fun the whole trip was. Luke is and exceptional boy/person, mature beyond his years. If you have ever dreamed of going on a trip like this, you need to go now, get in touch with Jerry and he can give you all of the details, you will not go to a better location than this one.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Yep, John (Bucksakemmer on here) had to pour water on his bow to cool it down over there. He was pounding some critters with that longbow.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the story Jerry, congrats to you and  Luke on a great hunt!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Way to go Luke!  Well written story of a well deserved triumph.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
That Impala is awesome!   :notworthy:  

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Outstanding stuff Guys. Congrats on a great trip.RC

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 05:13:00 AM »
Great story and photos Jerry. Congratulations Luke on an outstanding hunt.

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Great story, great photos, and a young man to be proud of.  Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Great story many congrats to you young man.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures.  Congratulations to your son!

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
The memories from this hunt will last forever. That boy has come a long way since picking up a stickbow 18 months ago. He is 10X the hunter that I was at that age.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Dream hunt!!  Thanx for sharing Jerry    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©