3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Black Flash" Trail Cams  (Read 334 times)

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
"Black Flash" Trail Cams
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
For those who use these, what brand/model do you use and what are the pros and cons of them?

I need one that can pull double duty, as a trail cam for wildlife, and as a security cam for catching lowlifes!

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Black Flash" Trail Cams
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
???

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Covert black 60. Great camera.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
I have very close to zero experience with trail cams, but have heard that with the black flash you have a greatly reduced "range" at which the camera will be able to get a good picture.
Anyone else with experience care to chime in? I'm weighing the pros and cons of the different options available.
Thanks.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
I have a HC600 Reconyx. I use it at home for a security camera. It's great and never misses. Good on batteries as well.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Muzzy 75:
I have a HC600 Reconyx. I use it at home for a security camera. It's great and never misses. Good on batteries as well.
Muzzy,
Any idea how far away the subject can be from the camera and still get a good pic?
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
I have the Reconyx HC600 as well. I like my Reconyx but as far as 90 ft shooting capabilites I'm not so sure. Ive gotten some clear as day photos and some that seemed cloudy. I believed the cloudiness was due to moisture in the air. 90 ft is what Reconyx claims. But I dont think I have any night pictures that far away.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by SheltonCreeker:
I have the Reconyx HC600 as well. I like my Reconyx but as far as 90 ft shooting capabilites I'm not so sure. Ive gotten some clear as day photos and some that seemed cloudy. I believed the cloudiness was due to moisture in the air. 90 ft is what Reconyx claims. But I dont think I have any night pictures that far away.
What would you estimate the maximum effective "never-miss" range of your Reconyx to  be?
Thanks.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Moultrie 990i - it is pretty good out to 60-70 feet
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
The DLC Covert MP60 Black gets really good reviews from ChasingGame.com and other sites.

WingSupply.com has them at a really good price; $114.95. Enter the coupon code, "DHNET" to get 10% off of that plus free shipping.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks. Info appreciated! Anyone else???

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
have a couple of the prior DLC Coverts with IR flash but not the black versions...great little cameras and have gotten better with each revision from when I first heard of them from something Biggie Hoffman wrote.

I also like the Moultrie cameras....

Both of these have long battery life with me only needing one battery change over a 4.5 month season....and with the right SD Cards hold thousands of pictures.

The only thing I wish is they were a little faster on reaction time but learning how to place them for more activity to be sensed is the key.  I dont place where I think they will be walking across in front of camera t 90* angle...try an angling to or from setup.  This has worked far better for me over the years....

I am not sure you can do better for the price than these two brands of camera...especially the Moultrie as you can buy refurbished or factory blem models for half of what they normally cost with full warranty off their website.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I have a bushnell, stealth cam and u-way, I would give the bushnell a good, but not great rating, u-way I love except the two end battery brackets don't hold the batteries very well, and have popped out on several occasions shutting down the system.

I have made several as well, and use several other brands at work. I think they all have good and bad points / features, from battery use, ease of operation, setup ease-distances etc., card compatibility,  I think you need to research and find what will be best for their application, If you have specific questions, ask away.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Hansen:

Muzzy,
Any idea how far away the subject can be from the camera and still get a good pic?
Thanks,
Kevin [/b]
From my experience it has been a average of 75' day and night. Sometimes better.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

Muzzy,
Thanks,
Kevin [/b]
From my experience it has been a average of 75' day and night. Sometimes better. [/b]
I meant to say 50' average..

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Lots of good info, and it is all appreciated! Does anyone prefer the IR over the blackflash (or vice-versa), and if so, why?
Thanks.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:

I have made several as well, and use several other brands at work. I think they all have good and bad points / features, from battery use, ease of operation, setup ease-distances etc., card compatibility,  I think you need to research and find what will be best for their application, If you have specific questions, ask away.
Hummer, for general work in the field to get game pictures would you choose an IR model, or a blackflash model? Reasons why?
Thanks much!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Lots of good info, and it is all appreciated! Does anyone prefer the IR over the blackflash (or vice-versa), and if so, why?
Thanks.
never used the blackout version....but the deer sometimes do see my red glow when it goes off....or they hear the camera in the still of the night but none have ever appeared to be spooked with quite a few coming up to it and smelling it. LOL

If I had an area with a lot of unauthorized traffic in there...I would go for the blackout to keep them from seeing and trying to steal camera....if for no other reason than to be able to identify them to the DNR officers.

I had good luck with the white flashes as well but do think they did bother some animals if they were close or looking in that direction and it was down low....if mounted higher and shooting down I think they believe it is lightning or something.

Anyhow....I have wanted the blackout models but keep getting good deals on the regular IR so stick with best bang for buck.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
All these covert or blackout cameras are IR too.  They have a filtering system that reduces or eliminates the red sensor or flash.  The critters still know the camera is there but from my experience it doesn't seem to bother them.  I have a Reconyx 600 that I keep mostly year round in a tight funnel and the same critters pass by routinely.

I don't have any experience with other models other than a Cuddyback and that is why I now use a Reconyx.   :)

Incandescent flash can irritate critters such that they may change their routine to avoid it.  I don't know about visible IR.

Coyotes are my reviewers on cameras.  They travel by the Reconyx 600 within licking distance and investigate it on occasions but I've yet to see one bothered by it.  If it passes inspection by coyotes it gets A+.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Neat pictures!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©