3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk in not so far places.  (Read 164 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk in not so far places.
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Is there a location with good numbers of elk that you can reach without packing in?  Some place where if you had a guide, you could fly in and be hunting the next morning?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk in not so far places.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I think there are lots of locations where you can fly into town and be hunting the next day, especially if you use a guide. The real question is what do you expect from an elk hunt? If you want to fly into town, sleep in a motel, then call in and kill a huge bull the next morning, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Does it happen? Every year! How consistently? Maybe 1 in 50 elk hunters has that happen once in his lifetime. Tell us more about what you are looking for and it will be easier to guide you in the right direction.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
It really does not matter concerning big bulls.  Not really looking for that.  Cows or spikes would work.  Just looking for an opportunity.  Looking for good numbers.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:00 AM »
Lots of places meet your requirements, but that means plenty of other hunters as well.  You might consider hunting either the Washington or Oregon coast range for Roosevelt elk.  Drive over, camp out or stay in a motel and you're hunting every day.  Put some ground under your boots and you'll find elk.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
I seen plenty of elk last night riding around the mountain with the wife that were right off roads. That can mean lots of hunters too but if your smart you can still have plenty of action. Elk hunting does not have to be an extreme hunt like everyone thinks. The further you get away from people the better but sometimes that means thinking outside the box. Around here we have 16 roads a square mile in places where elk live and ATVs everywhere and still have a chance at elk. If you ever want to chase elk in Utah P.M me and I can give you my 2 cents on areas to start looking. Some of my elk blinds are under 100 yards off main roads.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Colorado is another place that comes to mind for high elk numbers.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Not exactly what you asked...just be patient...when I was a young fellow living in the same house I live in now there was not an elk anywhere near here...this fall we have a general archery season for elk in my back yard...just gotta figure out how to call one in..btw I am now 61 years old so you might have to be ready to wait 50 years

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©