3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Methods for lowering your level of scent output and other such stuff  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
I could have entitled this thread " Methods for scent control", but I don't want anyone turned off from this thread by those words. I get the feeling that to some of us those two words conger up feelings of un- traditional or gimmicks from the market place. But let's have a respectful inquiry on the subject and maybe we can all benefit from it.

First off, let me ask you this question: If every animal you hunted could not smell you, how much more successful a bow hunter do you think you would be?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Methods for lowering your level of scent output and other such stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I take a chlorophyll supplement starting a month before season.  My wife says she can tell a difference in my body odor when I sweat.  Texas and October equals some sweat.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I'd be very deadly if nothing smelled me. As I've mentioned before on here, building a smudge fire with green pine branches has worked for me (but it only works for a couple hours). I know you have some tactics and I look forward to hearing them.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:

First off, let me ask you this question: If every animal you hunted could not smell you, how much more successful a bow hunter do you think you would be?
A LOT MORE! scent is my worst enemy where I hunt. Our deer are very spooky due to lots of hunting pressure. If they get the slightest wiff of human scent they are gone.

Almost all of my hunting clothes have some form of scent control built into them. I wear under armor long johns if it is cold enough with scent control in them. I usually wear a pair of some off brand fleece pants and a long denim shirt. Over my shirt goes my russell jacket which has scent shield in it and is rain proof. During the early season in early October it can be pretty warm down here though so sometimes I just wear some denim camo pants and a thin camo long sleeve. I also use some type of the scent shield or other brand spray.  The most important thing though is when I am at my camp which thankfully has hot running water I take a shower every morning before going to my stand.  I believe the shower with non scented soap helps the absolute most.

Now do I really believe all the claims the scent products make about being 99% effective and everything Heck No, but if it helps even a little and reduces my scent by 5% I'll take it. Playing the wind is still and most likely always will be the most effective way to control one's scent though. That's why I still watch the wind and let it be the number one factor when deciding which area and what stand I want to hunt.
James Kerr

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Now the question arises, " can we totally eliminate our scent? " The answer is of course not. Can we minimize it, mask it, or block it? Yes we can. So before I start explaining the methods I have developed, I think it needs to be stated that my hunting woods, and your hunting woods may be, and depending on where you live, are different and may call for differing methods. Also if you live where deer or ungulates are relatively unpressured  some or all of these methods, or precautions may be deemed unneccesary. It's your call!
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
To be continued, have to go for now.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
I can't afford all the high tec stuff that is reported to control scent.

I shower daily. Wash and line-air dry all my clothing, put in rubber tubs and dress in the dark at the truck in the field at my hunting site.

My boots never are worn anywhere but in the field- on and off at the truck, sprayed with the scent killer products and rolled down to air out. I even change felt insoles and dry them daily and use 2 sets of boots.

Most of our hunt areas are pretty devoid of humans 10 months of the year.  First whiff of man is when hunting starts and the game is ON!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
I just hunt with the wind...... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Some of my best areas are the swirlingest places on earth, I swear!  The only thing constant is about a couple of them is that the wind will shift back and forth all morning. Not near as bad in the evenings. Unfortunately that's when the people start riding their quads around also. Mornings are pretty quiet. Shot some real nice bucks their, but have a 50% chance of being busted too.
Glenn

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Not arguing, but the moment you touch anything, exhale air, step out of the shower - you and anything you touch smells like a human (even your shower towel smells- why do you need to wash it?). Further, while certain animals may be exposed to human scent from farmers or suburbia- every human being smells different and the location of that scent gives warning.  Go into an area where a farmer has been working or some suburban family lives; deer are hanging around as they know the routine and local odors.  Now you show up!  They know.  

So. . . Work the wind/thermals. Never wear shoes/boots in your vehicle.  Walk where deer will not cross your path if possible, if not- at least don't let foliage brush you as you approach your stand (I use pruners as I approach).  Hunt different stand sites every sit if possible (why I hunt portable- setting a new stand off my back at every sit.)

Scent does not blow straight line through the woods.  Watch a river/creek. . .  there are many ebbs and flows, swirls and eddies.  I am suspicious of any claim that a deer came in from directly down wind- it may "feel" that way, but I suspect the scent stream just did not reach their nose.  

My 2c
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I swet more than a lawn sprinkler. I hunt with the wind.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I just hunt, time in the woods comes at a premium for me so when I get time I just hunt, ksDan is right on with the river comment!, if a deer smells me oh well but by not really caring anymore I don't see any more or any less deer than I used to when I was a lunatic about it in fact i had more mature bucks in on me last year than i ever have! and I hunt in Michigan and Ohio THE most pressured areas in the country, just go hunting and don't stress yourself out, but that's just my philosophy to each their own!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
When you don't have enough roughage your body will trap toxins and you will stink. High fiber, acidophilus, yogurt, cut out the processed foods and lower your red meat intake. But most importantly, hunt the wind.
Leon Stewart lil slammer 56" 45@28
Martin Howatt Hunter 64" 50@28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
I wash my clothes in scent free soap and use scent killing personal hygiene products. I'm also thinking about trying a chlorophyll supplement this season to see if I notice a difference. I also spray my boots and everything down with scent killing spray before I enter the woods. Even after all that I still hunt the wind because you can't beat their noses.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Deer around here will walk up into my yard-they know our scents.  They know I walk the woods-but I've never been 100% skunked on seeing them in my walks.  That said, I chew spruce gum or drink juniper tea for my breath, but I have a lot of issues with sweating (most of my meds make me sweat profusely now.)  Anyone got a good answer for that?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
I've heard the skunk scent, two part stuff you mix together is about as bullet proof as it gets according to my buddy, I'd rather miss an opportunity to get a shot than smell like that though. My dad told me they used to deodorize skunk pelts with a smudge fire made with a wet slice of alfalfa hay on top an existing fire, that might work like was said above with the pine boughs, don't know how long it would last though.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
mix a little elk droppings or deer pellets in with your pipe tobacco... works wonders.   :readit:  

i wouldn't recommend it in your chew can. That will ruin your appetite, and give you heart burn too.

hunt the wind.... walk slow, and drink a plenty of water....

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
mix a little elk droppings or deer pellets in with your pipe tobacco... works wonders.    :readit:    

i wouldn't recommend it in your chew can. That will ruin your appetite, and give you heart burn too.

hunt the wind.... walk slow, and drink a plenty of water....
Wow, glad you put the chew disclaimer in there, I thought I had an epiphany for a second! I do step in every pile of fresh elk or moo cow poo I come across while hunting, don't know if it works or not, but seems like a good idea, lol!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
I've been taking chlorophyl supplement for years, even continuing it in the off season. Since using it, I've noticed deer hitting my scent stream notice it but just sniff, turn and calmly walk away instead of blowing and bounding away like they did before.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
I have a long haired dog that sheds year round and lives inside and out. I'm soaked with sweat by the time I get up the first hill from the house. I hunt drainage's and ridges where the air currents go in all directions.

So, I just hunt with a good fair feeling, like I gave em a head start...no remorse when I get lucky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©