3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Methods for lowering your level of scent output and other such stuff  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Methods for lowering your level of scent output and other such stuff
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »
clean contractor sized trash bag,,,put all clothes, sweaters and jackets inside and layer handfuls of fresh fallen leaves (even long grasses)  inside along with fresh pine needles that are rough rolled in the hand to release the scent.  you'll smell like the woods in your area..

clothes look a bit weird coming out but it works and then every week refresh with new handfuls of leaves.

spin the bag so the top seals shut, put in truck or car laying on that top so it stays shut whenever done using.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:00 AM »
Nomad, you should walk in like your pa in law. He enters his stands in boots and skivies and dresses at his stand.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
All these soaps, sprays, tablets, scent block clothing, silver infused this and that are unnecessary and do not work.   :bigsmyl:   Don't get busted now even downwind.

It is not controversial because it just works PERIOD.
 www.scentsmoker.com

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
By the way, I saw a guy have plastic gaiters to reduce scent. Big stiff deals that looked like what vets put over dogs to keep them from scratching. Hilarious.
 It was rut and I told him he had the whole concept wrong. Better to dig into the laundry- pull out 2 pair of his wife's dirty undies and slip one over each boot.  :scared:  

Not amused was he  :saywhat:
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Legolas:
All these soaps,sprays, tablets, scent block clothing, silver infused this and that is unnecessary and does not work.   :bigsmyl:   Don't get busted now even downwind.

It is not controversial because it just works PERIOD.
 www.scentsmoker.com

Paul
so what do you need to light that thing on fire and then have someone wave it all around you before you go afield?  doesn't it burn your eyes?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
JD,
Yep and you suddently want to take a nap and quit making honey.

I take a small ladder and drape all my clothes,pack,& harness over it and smoke the whole mess. Why do I always think of smoked fish and saltines when I hunt?

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Legolas, I use smoke too, and it does work, but I have been patterned by deer when used repeatedly hunting the same group of deer. My scent control system works for me and I don't get patterned. Your entitled to your own opinion, but don't state things as fact just because you haven't been successful using them. Methods have their place. Scent elimination products work very well if YOU KNOW HOW to use them............ Most hunters don't. I kill Deer using them every year!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Legolas, No one on the 10 pages of this thread has purported using any type of marketed scent control clothing.You may want to re-read the thread.   :readit:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Knawbone,

Sorry but the tread title is "Methods for lowering your level of scent output and other such stuff".
Did not understand I had to restrict my discussion to what has previously been posted.

I apologize for my defiant manner and just wanted to acquaint guys to this method that works very well. I agree other methods may work if done properly.As I said I have used many of them and if downwind they still may not work.
That is all I was implying.
Sorry to offend.
Paul

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Legolas, I apologize as well as I may have slightly over reacted to your posts. I had and have no problem with the method or product and am interested in it's possibilities.I guess it's just "the final word"...... "this is it and that's that" type of talk that sets me off. It was kind of like saying my methods are mute, irreverent,and the whole thread and it's contents are sub par.That all any one has to do, is what you do, and the rest of this thread is rubbish, out of date and worthless.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Knawbone
Its been a great read and thanks for posting and the discussions.
We are blessed here sharing so much and learning more than we ever could before the advent of this form of communication and meeting so many trad brothers.
I look forward to more topics with you!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Hey fellas! Good to see you both making things right. My two cents here; smoke is very effective when used infrequently, and judiciously. I view it as my wildcard. I only pull it out when I know I can win with a little push. As Knawbone said, the association of a human with smoke will get you busted. But that association is not automatic, and only abusing the trick will create it.

***as an aside, It sure is cool to be 20 yards upwind of an unspooked elk!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Legolas, Thank you for your kind words. I must remember that the written word alone lacks the finer details of communication, such as facial expression and cadence of voice.I thank you for your contribution to the thread and I'm sure we would have a good time together with a cup of coffee in our hands or a trad bow. Sorry once again for any miss understanding on my part.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
bttt for a stinky guy haha

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Using scent control so far this year.....

Hunting from the ground in a makeshift goldenrod blind: I was hunting 20 yrds from an actively visited apple tree. A young Doe walked up to within 10 yrds of me. I watched her smelling the air. She didn't spook but simply veered and walked away. Wind was calm.

While hunting a deer trail in thick vegetation near a creek: Two coyotes crossed my trail in, 7 yrds from me. They made no indication that they smelled me. To thick for a shot.

Last Wed. while stand hunting my property: Spike horn circled completely around my stand. He never smelled me. I shot him at 18yrds.

This evening Oct. 27th while still hunting on state land: Saw 4 deer, two of them directly down wind of me. One of the two came within 25 yrds of me. The deer never smelled me. It was getting a little dark and the deer was unidentifiable. I let it walk.

Been out hunting 8 times for two to four hours at a time: Iv' seen deer during 5 of those hunts.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Just read through this post lots of good info.   What the hunting the wind crowd don't seen to get is that scent control has more to it than just staying down wind.   Everytime you walk to your stand you are leaving scent that stays and accumulates long after you leave.   That is the primary reason I use a lot of scent reduction strategies.  For instance I never climb a tree without wearing deoderized gloves now.... why? ??? Because trail cameras prove deer would check out my tree when I didn't.   Like I said on the other posts every little bit helps.   Now if you are not targeting a particular mature deer and are happy with whatever walks in range then it may not be important.  But if you are targeting an animal that has survived several hunting season every little bit helps

btw.... most of us still hunt the wind as well
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
If you don't think SC products Work I got one for you to try.  Google lavolin.  Get the foot cream in the small green container.  Paul Brunner turned me on to this year's so he called it pit stop.  It will Completely clear up foot odor in a week.  I use it on my feet, back of knees, groin and pits.  Stuffs works.  My socks use to reek after a day of sweating in rubber boots........ not no more.  Try it abd see for yourself

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Just read through this post lots of good info.   What the hunting the wind crowd don't seen to get is that scent control has more to it than just staying upwind.   Everytime you walk to your stand you are leaving scent that stays and accumulates long after you leave.   That is the primary reason I use a lot of scent reduction strategies.  For instance I never climb a tree without wearing deoderized gloves now.... why? ??? Because trail cameras prove deer would check out my tree when I didn't.   Like I said on the other posts every little bit helps.   Now if you are not targeting a particular mature deer and are happy with whatever walks in range then it may not be important.  But if you are targeting an animal that has survived several hunting season every little bit helps

btw.... most of us still hunt the wind as well

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I would have to say after reading all of this thread that the deer in my woods must be really stupid because I manage to fill my tags every year and donot get all woundup about sent control. I do take a shower and watch the wind but that's about all I do. They come from up wind, cross wind, and down wind. Sometimes I get busted but not often so either I'm doing it right or these deer are just dumb.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
degabe, Just depends on what you want, young easy to kill deer or mature deer with a few seasons under their hooves. Apples and oranges.......apples and oranges!
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©