3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunters soaps  (Read 297 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
hunters soaps
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:18:00 AM »
wondering if there are any of the natural scented hunters soaps around anymore, even private label homemade stuff? I had some oak scented soap I bought at Denton hill maybe 10yrs ago but it long ran out and if I remember right it was good stuff...

the scent control thread got me thinking.
"Us vs Them"

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunters soaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »
I use Ivory and it non scented. I tried some soap that was pine, but did  not work with my skin and caused a rash.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
pine tar soap
Or just unscented commercial

its simple to melt down unscented soap and add your own scent

Now brands scents (found at health food stores) has a pine needle oil
Its really strong and a little goes a long way
Best pine scent out there IMO
Slickhead

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Gene Wensel is making some pure unsented and various natural scented cedar, sage, etc.  He has it out to a number of guys for testing now.  The stuff is fantastic!  I imagine he will be selling it soon.

My daughter is testing out some vanilla bean Chapstick type stuff for him right now as well.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Unscented commercial (Dove) is all I use.  I've tried scented soaps and detergents before and guess I just prefer to smell like "nothing" than some synthetic woods smell.  I do however, sometimes make my own cover spray by boiling local foliage, or if I'm hunting a particular area I'll throw some leaves, pine branches, etc. into the bin I store my clothes in.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Check out Gabby's Handmade Soap in Albuquerque. They have a web site just google it. You could call and talk with him and he can tell you what he has special for hunting. I was there last weekend and the owner hunts. He has a line of hunter soaps and scents. Had a 17" antelope head on the wall.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I'm not sure about scented but I use Dead Down Wind brand because it is all natural, and biodegradable. Of course it is unscented.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I bought a cake of soap from Hobby Lobby to make my own soap. The directions said to add your own fragrance and color. I didn't care about color but for fragrance I used sweet corn scented deer lure. I added the whole bottle to the cake of soap. It worked great. I didn't realize it also had deer urine in it but you couldn't tell. It just smelled like sweet corn. I'm doing it again this year.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I got a few different bars of Uncle Gene's soap as well. I really like it. It's lye based and the cedar scented one is pretty tame. Not overpowering like some soaps. I kinda like the unscented best. It rinses off cleaner than the dove. I've been using it for my everyday
That's every BATH day not everyday of the week 8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I've been buying lye soap on line for a while now by the pound. Pretty economical.
I'll put a couple of vanilla beans in the bag with it and after a while the soap absorbs the vanilla scent.

Mostly I just use the soap as is. I'm not into colognes and other smelly stuff. Clean is the best fragrance in my book.

I've used the unscented Dove as well and like it pretty well. It leaves my skin so soft and touchable.
   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I saw some testing with K-9 and ivory soap was better than the cover scents.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I never was impressed with hunter type soaps til someone gave me a bar of Dead Down Wind. Lasts a long time and suds up good.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
"That's every BATH day not everyday of the week 8-)"

Whew! Ya had me worried Biggie. Don't be getting kookie with the showerin' now.

I think St.Joe River Bows has some stuff. Check them out. I have a deodorant and it seems to work good.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
i use the hunter specialties bodywash/shampoo (green stuff in a clear bottle) year round until i run out... they only carry it at wally world during the hunting season. I have eczema it is the ONLY antibacterial soap that doesn't dry out my skin. and its unscented.  I don't like anything scented, not really even because of hunting... i just don't like it.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Good oldfashioned "Lava" soap is about the best there is... Cleans everything,off of anything!!!

Just one old woodchucker's thoughts.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
My wife makes "Hunters soaps" She offers soaps such as Anise, Dirt, Fresh cut grass, unscented, and she will be offering Balsam and Cedar before season. She    has many other scents available that might appeal to the Wives. I hope I'm not out of line here but this is a link to her online store.  http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThunderBaySoapCo
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
wow I didn't know there was a lot of info on soaps,, Timberking your wife has a lot of soaps man I'll show my wife she likes all that homemade scented stuff I'm curious about the cedar stuff she'll be making so keep me informed.  

thanks everyone!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
If you're going to post a link on here to sell something, you NEED to be a sponsor.  Read the site use rules.  

Haven't heard about the unscented Dove before, will have to try it. Looking forward to some of Gene's stuff.  If it didn't work, he wouldn't be messing with it.

Has anyone tried the soap nuts for their clothes?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©