3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long recurves  (Read 550 times)

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long recurves
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
I picked up a 65#@30" 66" Brackenbury Legend on the TG classifieds.  Smooth, zero finger-pinch, whisper-quiet, and feels like it pulls 10# lighter than it is.  A real pleasure to shoot.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Shawn....that is a beautiful bow.....just my specs also....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I bowhunted 2 yrs with my Howard Gamemaster Jet, 66" 60#. I always shot 62" recurves but the smoothness of that added 4" was a pleasure. Unfortunately, as a ground hunter, I blew an easy shot from a kneeling position on a nice buck when the lower limb bounced off the ground when drawing the bow back.

Although I took 2 deer with the Jet when still hunting, I found 66" not conducive for my kneeling shots. Sold the Jet and have regretted it ever since. Should have kept the bow for small game and stump shooting. Longer is smoother and stable.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
I've had 58" - 60" recurves, but just picked up a used Acadian Woods 66" curve. A real joy to shoot.

I'll probably hunt my 60" Mojostik because with some faded snake skins, it's already camo'd and it draws very nicely all the way back to 32" (3.5" beyond my draw). Having said that, for target shooting or stumping, this long, tall new one is sweet.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Shawn....that is a beautiful bow.....just my specs also....lol!
:D

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Bear TD...B Riser and #3 Limbs... and my other favorite is a '70 Super Kodiak in the 64" length..

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Nice lookin' rig Shawn!

My son and I have been drooling over your knives this afternoon...one of these days!   :pray:

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks, Allen! The Robertson is wearing one of your awesome strings. I'd love to build you a knife when you're ready.     :campfire:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I know a guy here in Michigan that has hunted with the same 72" Assenheimer for 30 years. It's too long for me, but it is a smooth shooting bow.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Surffever

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Up until recently I had been shooting 62" bows.  Then I acquired a 64" of the same model.  Wouldn't have believed 2" would have made such a noticable difference.  Now I prefer the longer, smoother bow.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
My go-to hunting bow configuration is an RER LXR...it has a set of 62 inch static tip limbs and a set of 64 inch deflex/reflex longbow limbs...when I started hunting with traditional bows about 4 years ago all I had was a 1963 Kodiak Special and a 1963 Polar, both 66 inches...those bows are so easy to shoot I would take both of them with me all the time...I call one Whitetail and the other Mulie...just depended on which type of deer I felt I was more likely to encounter on a particular hunt which bow I would carry...not uncommon to be chasing a bunch of mulies around here and turn and see a whitetail cruising past...I still kick myself for not buying a 63 inch 1963 Kodiak Special in new-in-the-box condition...so yeah I like longish curves

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Yeah man, I like longer bows.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©