3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mystery Ranch Packs?  (Read 665 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Mystery Ranch Packs?
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Anybody use them?  Thinking about getting one for my moose hunt.

If u have one you want to get rid of let me know - dragons layer???
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mystery Ranch Packs?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Mike,

I have a NICE frame with a 6500, Metcalf, and Crew Cab bag and they carry HEAVY loads best in that order.  Have a Load Sling as well.  Some complain they are heavy, but I do not mind an extra couple pounds for the bullet proof construction and load handling ability.

I believe the Dragon Slayer has its own frame and is more of a daypack?

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
I am looking for a day pack. Outfitter said day pack perferred. They have the equipment for heavy hauling.

Would really like to try a dragons layer.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
What Steve said! I have the NICE frame Crew Cab and it's the most versatile pack I've ever owned. Many will talk about ounces but it's more about fit and design than just weight.

I dont think you can go wrong with an MR product but you really should look at the NICE frame!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Mike, the Dragonslayer or more likely the Bighorn are what you are looking for then. Definitely SOLID daypacks.

Kifaru Spike Camp or Late Season would be another high end daypack.

After that you are into Eberlestock X2, HornHunter,  and Badlands 2800/2200 territory and they are definitely a lower rung.  I carried 93# of Sitka Blacktail and gear on Kodiak Island a decade ago in a USA made Badlands 2200.  They don't make them like that any more and I am a lot smarter now    :D

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
I debated back and forth between the two MR packs your looking at and the two Kifaru packs mentioned above. My wife made the choice for me by getting me a gift certificate to Kifaru for our 25th anniversary   :bigsmyl: (she got some finger bling)My Late Season showed up a few days ago and all I can say is WOW what a quality built pack, can't wait to try it out this fall!  

Steve

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
For day pack I'd take a look at Hill People Gear.  Their harness is the most comfortable I've ever worn and I've tried most everything out there.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
Mike,

Lots of good packs of course. I have the MR Dragonslayer and happen to think it carries better than any daypack I've ever owned. It has an integral frame, but not anything stiff or heavy. The pack is adjustable for torso length, and let me tell you...that is invaluable for comfortable all-day carry. The shoulder straps and hip belt are more heavily padded than your typical $150 daypack. In fact, the Dragonslayer is basically a true heavy-duty pack...just downsized to around 2100 cubes. The design results in a very slim bag which carries well through brush and branches. All in all, it's a very hard core hunting pack which is more than tough enough for many moose hunts. My pack is headed to Alaska in just under 60 days...again.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Do any stores sell MR packs or they direct only?  I would like to compare them and put them on. Sounds like they have great CS - do they do free returns like "zappos" until you run the right "shoe" that fits?

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Yes they do returns.  I have a Metcalf and Crew Cab.  I am 5'9" with a 32" waist and use a medium yoke and a small waist belt.  I wish the small waist belt was a little bit smaller.  The nice thing about the NICE system is the ability to add future bags to the harness system, one harness multiple bags.  For a smaller day pack I use one of their hotshots.  These packs are made for the firefighters, but I find that they also make for a great smaller daypack. Lots of open pockets for easy access. I can fit alot of gear into one of these, but would not like to try to pack an animal out in it.  

I tried last year to do a mile with 230 pounds in my Crew Cab, I did not make it very far, but the bag and harness held up under the load (two 50 kilo plates in the bag).  I typically do 5 to 7 miles a couple of times a week with 80 to 100 pounds in the bag in the off season, the NICE system handles this with ease.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
One other thing, Biathlonman and SteveO always have good advice when it comes to these types of setups and backpacking gear.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I may have found a crew cab for sale. Need more details on that pack. Looks very versatile.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline BearCrkBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I have used several MR packs, and although they are extremely rugged and durable, they are heavy, and the running joke with my sheep hunting buddies is to call them Misery Ranch, because they can be pretty uncomfortable when loaded, I would suggest you check out Kifaru's line, they are also very durable, and the most comfortable pack I've ever worn, even when loaded heavy. The one I currently use is the prototype timberline (full size pack), I've taken it on 2 sheep hunts, and 2 goat hunts and it's holding up great!

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Which kifaru? Spike camp?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline BearCrkBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
yeah,that would be a good pick, but since I got mine, they have come out with smaller versions of the timberline that are excellent as well, their suspension system is awesome for load bearing and comfort.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
i just watched a video on the crew cab and i am really impressed on versitility.  

more thoughts?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I used a Badlands 2200 for the past 5 elk hunts and really liked the pack. More than once I used it to pack out elk quarters and various loads in the 75 lbs range.  I know that I exceeded the intended design of that pack but it always performed.  However, on a recent trip a buddy picked up a Mystery Ranch Longbow and let me try it on to show much how well it carried average loads in the 40 lb range.  I was very impressed but where the pack really shined was when we were able to remove the pack and lash an entire elk rack, head and cape right to the Nice Frame.  I was so impressed with the carrying capacity that I am now the owner of a MR Crew Cab.  This fall will be my first backpack style hunt with the crew cab but my initial tests while training tells me it's a keeper.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
I think I am going to see if mystery ranch will send me a crew cab to try - if too heavy maybe they will let me swap for dragonslayer????  That would make it easier.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
The "issue" (if you want to call it that) with the CC is the shallow angle of the load lifters if you have a torso longer than 18".

Load lifters become an issue when more than 30lbs is being packed because the weight is not being transferred to the hips, but rather to the shoulders.

They are great packs IF THEY WORK FOR YOU. If they don't, they are heavy and uncomfortable. Like any pair of boots or good pack, one size does not fit all.

Any pack with working load lifters will be slightly higher than the shoulders. Some guys don't like this (feels it impedes travel through brush). You are either looking for a pack that hauls well, or is strictly a daypack. Compromise either way.

If you are feeling like spending once/crying once, look at a Metcalf from MR or look at  a Stone Glacier Solo.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
The dragons layer is nice if you only need a day pack.  I just got back from a 16 mile overnight trip with my Crew cab. Very comfortable, tough, and versatile. If you really have no need for a frame pack I would stay away from it.  
 I prefer my Bison pack for day hunts where I know I won't be packing out a critter. Much smaller and compact as well as fleece which I love.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©