3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Long Overdue Spring 2013 Turkey Thread....update w/ new video's pg.4&5.....  (Read 799 times)

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
The Dream Hunt...

In this interview from a few years back, there was a question about my dream hunt...
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000055  

Although this past fall, we did share a deer recovery of Cade's with my Dad.....this was the hunt I was really looking forward to.....

To have my dad in the blind with us on Cade's 1st turkey hunt.....well.... it was about to happen!

The NY youth hunt weekend was here. Friday evening I had plan to sit in a particular spot and try to roost a couple gobblers I'd been keeping track of. But a 3 fisherman that were fishing in the pond in the middle of the orchard foiled that plan...no worries....I'd been scouting     ;)  

I kicked into "plan b", and headed for another spot....  

I parked, and before I even entered the orchard and exposed myself, I stopped to owl hoot with my voice...
•  

I got an immediate gobble....and only 100yds. away....in a part of the orchard that would be a real easy walk for dad....the dream hunt was on!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:  This is good Curt, keep it coming.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:  Can't wait for the rest of the adventure!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Love all the preparation that always goes into your hunts.     :campfire:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
The Dream Hunt....

I went to bed that night knowing that we would be in a great spot with at least one gobbler nearby after roosting that gobble a few hrs. prior...but..

I also knew that is was going to be raining to some degree when we woke up! The forecast was for heavy rain pretty much all night, but getting lighter and stopping a little after sunrise.

I knew we'd be dry in the Double Bull, but setting up and not getting soaked while doing so would be tough.

We picked up grandpa at 4:00am and although it was raining, it was light....he thought we were crazy, but he was in for whatever we had ahead of us.

During the 10 min. ride to the spot we'd hunt I tried to cover how we'd setup and how we'd sit in the blind so we'd all be on the same page.

We parked and the rain was still light. In the pitch black I set up the blind and got it arranged so dad and Cade could get out of the rain, and stayed out to set up the decoys...

Once I got settled in....it started to pour!!!

It poured for a good 20 minutes, but just as we could barely tell the sky was starting to lighten up the rain just about stopped and not seconds later the monotonous sound of dripping trees was broken by a booming gobble....game on!!

**********   I have all this on video and will share when I can get it all together  ***********

Cade was getting fired up with every gobble, I was nervous beyond belief!

Soon we could tell there were at least 2 gobblers in the trees behind us and and it seemed like it was taking forever to get light.

Then we heard some hens....

I called lightly to let them know a willing hen was close by and to see if I could get them coming my way right off the roost....

Soon they were on the ground, but they had flown down the hill, but I figured I could call them up to us...

I called and they gobbled...back and forth we went...

We could tell they were getting closer when I saw movement out in the orchard on the crest of the hill....they were coming!!

We could see at least 2 gobblers and at least one jake, but the hens didn't want to play and the gobblers seemed reluctant and were in a out of sight on the crest of the hill. Just when it seemed the a jake was going to break off and come in, he froze up...then disappeared back over the hill....I shut the camera off and just figured we'd wait them out.

We were sitting talking excitedly about what we'd just seen when we could barely hear a commotion over the hill and I saw flash of movement out in the orchard again...It was something dark and moving fast and my heart skipped a beat thinking a gobbler was charging in....

I was just about to tell Cade to grab his bow when I realized the fast moving ,dark critter was a big, dark colored, soaking wet coyote!

Game over!!!

We waited a half hr or so without hearing a peep. Cade had a baseball game that we had to get to, so time was short. But I wanted to move to another part of the orchard to kill the last 45 mins. we had left to hunt....

Dad and Cade...
•  

We moved to a nice open area in the middle of the orchard...
•  

Soon afterward we started to hear some gobbling again. I called but time was getting short.

Three generations in the blind...
•  

With turkeys gobbling in the distance, I figured we'd better get out while we had the chance...
•  
•  

A morning I'll cherish forever....
Curt } >>--->   

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
FANTASTIC stuff as always!  It's been a real pleasure watching him grow up on this site.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
So, Sunday morning, the last day of the youth weekend we were up early again and went to one of my favorite all time spots to hunt turks.

Scouting had proven that there were a few gobbling birds and if I had to pick one spot to go to when the chips were down and I wanted to get into some action....this spot would be it!

We set up with plenty of time in with the sky behind us to the east just barely starting to lighten the horizon.

We got everything set up and waited for the show to begin....

We waited, and it got a little lighter.....we waited some more just knowing any second the morning stillness would be shattered...we waited some more....

Hmmmmm....something was wrong....it was way past time for a bird to start gobbling and it just wasn't happening...dang it!

For whatever reason, the birds just weren't there this morning....but we gave it an hour to see if anything would reveal itself....nothing....we packed up and headed for the spot we hunted the morning before...

As we were pulling into the orchard, just past the last house on the road leading in I look up ahead and see a gobbler with 2 hens!

They had already seen us and were heading up on a knob in the front part of the orchard that I usually don't hunt because I've never seen them up there.

We drove right on by, parked, and headed into the orchard to a spot that I thought we could get to without them seeing us.

The plan was to set up, get everything ready except put our black gear on, then get out of the blind closer to where the birds were over the hill and call to them to let them know a willing hen was ready for some love....then retreat back to the blind.

We gave it some time then got out and slowly walked closer using the rise of the hill to our advantage, when we were as close as I dared get, I called...cluck, cluck...yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp...

We instantly got a response from the bird we'd driven past!!!

Although he had hens, I was still confident we might persuade him to us.....now we headed back to the blind.

We got in and were both putting our back gear on....I mean we weren't back in the blind for 20 seconds when I looked out a side window of the blind and see a bird come into view not 5 yds from the blind!

I tell Cade not to move as it was a hen, but then I see it's a bearded hen!

I asked Cade if he wanted to try for her and he quickly whispered....YES!!!!!!

But the problem was he had his black jacket only half on, no face mask, and he didn't have his bow in his hand!!

She was mad at the intuders and was headed directly for the hen deke in front of the strutter jake deke(Papa Strut), but she was so close to the blind now, probably 3-4yds, that when Cade reached for his bow she noticed it and started to angle away from us and by the time got in position to shoot she had gotten about 20yds away and was just too far and still walking....he had to pass.....

Just then I noticed out of the same window a Jake come into view, and then another behind him...but they were angling toward the bearded hen that was now about 30yds away....so the jakes passed at about 20yds....again, just a little too far for Cade...dang it!

Not 10 seconds later in walks another hen, and of course she walks by totally oblivious to us 7-8yds away....but she has no beard, so she's not a legal bird....what excitement!!!

The worse part is that it happened so quick I never got anything on video!

I called to try to get them back, and also after a while tried to call the big gobbler over the hill....we got some responses...but nothing was coming in.

Cade yawning, doing some schoolwork...
•    

Cade's set-up... My Kempf Raven "Bonita" blacked out with athletic tape, CX Predator .700 arrow, and 250 gr. 2 blade VPA Penetrators, Selway slide-on with string tracker attached...
•    

Packing for two...
•    

My boy...
•    

By next year he'll be as tall as me!
•    

We got to the car and started out and what do we see...but all the birds were right back where they were when we drove in....including this big gobbler!!!
•    
•    
•    

Those pix were taken right from the truck!

Off to his baseball game...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Good stuff Curt. Keep it coming!

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I am sure that this not over yet.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Loving it buddy,Cade is really growing up fast.   :wavey:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt this is turning into a great thread! Just curious my little cousin is going to be 12 next month and likes shooting my bows now that he can pull them to his draw. What poundage is your bow at Cades draw?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I am loving this Curt!  Keep it coming.   :campfire:    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Great stuff, Curt and Cade!

I'll be waiting for more!

Bisch

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Well done bud!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
So where were we.....

Ok, with the youth weekend over, we had 10days till the regular season opened up. I continued to scout every morning, mostly video taping things....but I did manage to remember to take a few pictures...

This was a birds that I got on video...he had a terrible limp. I've seen plenty of limping turkeys, but this one was by far the worse.Never did get a good look at his legs with the high grass...
•  

This was a gobbler that was walking into a fight that was going on between two other big gobblers(on video)...
•  

"Turkey" buzzard...no idea why he was sitting up there...
•  

This was something I saw while heading back home in the truck... this hen was walking right toward a red fox...strange...
•  

Another nice gobbler...
•  

more later...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like we might finally be gettin' close to a...

...SCORE!!!

:pray:    :pray:    :pray:

Bring it on!  Huntin' season is almost here!

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
James Kerr