3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting your heavy bows  (Read 446 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting your heavy bows
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
this question is for 65# plus shooters. I am wondering how long you guys can shoot before your back and shoulders begin to get tired? I am fairly new to shooting my heavy bow, but i notice that after about 12-15 or so arrows I am getting tired and my accurracy really starts to suffer. Sometimes I want to continue shooting even after I begin to feel fatigue and I know this is a bad thing to do because I get frustrated with bad shots... Just wanted some input from you guys on how your practice sessions go with the heavies. Thanks!

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting your heavy bows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Keep at it. I shoot a 65#er and it was really tough at first. I practiced so much, that I actually tore something in my shoulder after a 300+ arrow day. I developed a workout routine specifically designed for strengthening bow shooting muscles. Now I can shoot that same bow as easily and as effectively as any 45# bow without the hint of fatigue. The body gets used to things real fast. It's even better if you can shoot with either hand to help balance out the muscles, otherwise that can be an issue down the road.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Lots of great info and training tips in this previous thread.

Heavy Bow Thread - Click Here

I will politely suggest that you follow some of the training advise in the thread and you will be able to SAFELY double your shot # soon enough and with proper form.
I am also a strong believer in working your off side as well. I do it with the draw and hold exercises. Also get a good warm up before shooting.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the warm up, otherwise that cracking sound you hear won't be your bow.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
I find my accuracy will start to suffer after a few dozen arrows shot at a fast pace.  I mean its all relative to your current fitness level and shooting pace.  I specifically trained with a 90# ELB for several months just so the 'lighter bows' 55-70# would feel normal.  45 feels really light for me now but makes a perfect form/3D type weight for me.  53-65 is a pretty comfortable range for me now.  My best advice is either stick to a particular weight until it gets easier and intersperse it with a light weight bow for accuracy/form, and even consider getting a beater that's heavier than your goal to work with like I did.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
For me it depends. I shoot bows from 70-100+ regularly. Of course I fatigue faster as the weight goes up. However if I am shooting in my back yard I will tire faster than say on a 3d course where I have a rest period between shots. Always keep in mind that the first shot is the most important and work into the weight slowly, don't rush it. Also, nineworlds makes a good point. If you can find a heavier bow, even if is a cheap bow and not a looker. The extra weight will condition your body to shoot the bow you are wanting to hunt with easier. My 90 and 102# bows are primarily used to keep myself conditioned for the bows I hunt with. I have not plans to hunt with either of them.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
I shoot about 30 arrows daily from my 85# longbow. I do it daily so that my muscle memory stays with me. I have temporarily injured myself by laying off too long and then trying to shoot a bunch of arrows. I don't like light weight bows. sometimes just get busy with life and shooting suffers. Shoot daily. You will not regret it.
Hill

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Lots of good advice in the link. Keep working at it, look at shooting the heavy stuff as part of a workout routine and listen to your body. Don't be afraid to rest, or shoot a lighter bow if need be.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I just bought one of the heavy bowfit bands to warmup and keep my back strong, I usually hit the gym weekly as well to stay in shape. Anybody else using the bowfit?

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I just got my 62# longbow, up from 59# recurve.  I am still building up to it.  I shoot 20 arrows and I'm beat.  I started out at 35#, so I know how it goes, just keep on and try not to overtrain.  Warm up and stretch good before shooting!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeyebowhunter:
Thanks for the advice guys, I just bought one of the heavy bowfit bands to warmup and keep my back strong, I usually hit the gym weekly as well to stay in shape. Anybody else using the bowfit?
I have a bowfit on my desk at work. It helps, but I think it is geared more towards release shooters the way it is setup. There is another item called the bowtrainer that is a little better in my opinion. Google it and you will see what I am talking about
H. L. Mencken

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
What glove do you folks prefer for heavier weights.  The damacus glove I shoot now still leaves my third finger sore and calluses after daily shooting and 100s of arrows.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I shoot a Big Shot Crossover
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline greenfish13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I only shoot a 60 lb longbow, but being able to physically pull that weight took about 2 or 3 months to be able to shoot it nicely with out any of the fitness routines that others are talking about on here. At first what I did for about 2 or 3 weeks was to just draw the bow with out an arrow repeatedly and then return the string back to normal brace height. Hope that doesn't sound like I was dry firing it. I still a little stiff when I shoot it for the first 10 or so shots, but usually after that shooting it becomes so much easier.

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I find the fingers tire out fastest so your release goes first, followed by the tricep and the back muscles. I shoot 100# bows often and the nature of my work makes me leave them be for a few months at a time. I find it comes back after two or three weeks of building up the number of shots in twice daily, or more if it's cooler, sessions.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I shoot 75-80# bows daily.  I can shoot a 3d course and never notice it.  It all depends on how much you practice.  I know there's a lot said about exercising for shooting heavy but the best way to learn to shoot heavy is to shoot heavy.  It's like anything else, once you get used to it you'll never notice it.  It's not for everybody but 99% of the people shooting lighter bows could do it if they wanted to.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
stalkin4elk ,......your link was to page 16...so I corrected it so it would link to page 1.

The Administration of this site would like for the alert whistle to be blown if this topic gets off topic...or derailed in any way from the subject.

The whistle is at the bottom of each post.

Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Guess I was off topic.  ???

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I have a longbow that I don't particularly enjoy shooting, that is about 78# at my draw, and I use it strictly to work-out with.  I never fire it, but I draw it regularly -- both left- and right-handed.  

If I neglect to exercise my left-handed draw (since I shoot only right-handed), my C5 vertebrae area starts hurting.  A balanced exercise regimen has proven very important for me.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Do you guys think that during a shooting session it is a bad idea to go to a lighter bow once you start getting tired with your heavy bow? Say for instance I'm shooting my 70# bow then switch to a 50# bow? Right now the only two bows I shoot are 70# and 50#, I wish i hadn't sold my 60# longbow    :banghead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©