3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "WHAT'S ON THE SPIT?"  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"WHAT'S ON THE SPIT?"
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
 "Grown particular?"  
If you haven't eaten porcupine, you may have missed out on one of Natures finest meals.

I ate my first porky when I was about 15. I lived with my grandma in Northern Michigan for a couple years when I was 15-16. Grandma used to cook in the lumber camps  when she was younger and later cooked for the High School in the small town of Ellsworth.

Anyway at that time I had a single shot .22 rifle and a single shot 12ga shotgun and I'd slip off to the woods behind the house every time I could and hunt for anything that was in season. I brought my game home to grandama, rabbits, squirrels, partridges, raccoon and porcupines and she was glad to get any and all meat for the table. The coons and porkies she roasted in the over until the dark rich meat was tender then she's coat it with barbecue sauce the last 10 minutes of cooking, it was mighty tasty hot or cold.

Since those days I've sat down to many a meal of coon and porky.

the picture is of a friend of mine some years back skinning a porky that I had killed and brought to camp. The question is always, "How do you skin a porcupine." the answer? "Very carefully"

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "WHAT'S ON THE SPIT?"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
I shot one last fall scouting/small game hunting because a buddy and his Dad always told me it was good eatin'. They baked it and pulled the meat with some home made BBQ sauce and we put it on some toasted rolls. I left the skinning to those guys.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Interesting.  Loggers down East here always said they tasted like boiled pine bark! They surely are destructive li'l pikers!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind giving it a try   :thumbsup:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
As ole Jeremiah use to say..."Meats meat when yer in the mountains"

:saywhat:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Cool post, Ron!  Shot one a couple years back for eatin'.  Never got the chance though.  Had him cleaned up and in the freezer. Unfortunately a power outage doomed that frozen porcupine to the garbage bin. As I remember, there's a lot of guts to them.  Not a ton of meat for how big they look.  Thanks for bring back the thought.

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
PASS
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
I shot one a few years ago with my Wesley Special to see what it tasted like and because I was small game hunting. I tried a recipe I found online.  My oldest son, Nick, 4 at the time (He's the one who walked up to you at Marshall this Spring Ron), wanted to be the first to try it.  So I cut off the best looking piece and immediately once he got about 3 or 4 chews done, he stated "Is that the butt, because it tastes really bad!"  I have not shot another one since.  I'm thinking I need to try a new recipe.  
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
 "Is that the butt, because it tastes really bad!"  
That doesn't say much for your cooking Mike...
   :biglaugh:

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
Gotta be better than "creamed chipped beef on toast", right guys?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 03:54:00 AM »
Italians...well...we'll eat almost anything that crawls or walks across the back yard....but I will draw the line on Porky Pines...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
I always enjoy reading your posts Ron!  Never tried porky, but wouldn't mind if I knew someone who was experienced In making it.    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 05:36:00 AM »
Can't say I've ever tried armadillo but porky's gotta be better!   ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
Ron that was funny.    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

"Is that the butt, because it tastes really bad!"  
That doesn't say much for your cooking Mike...
    :biglaugh:  [/b]
Why do you think I'm REALLY happy Roger will be with me in Wyoming.     :biglaugh:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm sure it has to taste better than grits...lol So, yes I'd give it a go.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
No way No how Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
One fall back in the late 90's in deer camp, I was telling the "Shrew Crew" about how good porcupines were to eat. Of coarse they didn't believe me and to a man said, "NO WAY"    :campfire:

I made a lucky shot throw the shoulders and when the porkie hit the ground the cedar arrow was sticking straight up unbroken. I put the arrow back in my quiver, skinned him out and slung the spinney hide back up in the branches of the tree so it wouldn't harm an unsuspecting scavenger.

I slipped a stick through the gambles and carried my prize back to camp. After trimming off all of the fat that I could and removing the glands under the arm's, seasoning with salt and pepper he was ready for the roasting pan. I fixed him just like grandma used to with the final barbecue at the end of cooking and let the boys have at it. There was not a morsel left and they sucked the bones to get the last of the flavor    :D   .... try it, you might like it...   :dunno:  

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Boy do they stink but I guess hogs and rutting bucks do too and they're good vittles.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I forgot to mention to soak the meat in salt water for a couple hours then rinse before you season it. It helps to "freshen" it.   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©