3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "WHAT'S ON THE SPIT?"  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "WHAT'S ON THE SPIT?"
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
When I was growing up I was told not to shoot porkys because they were lost mans food.  Easy to kill for a starving pilgrim.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I hear that porcupine is the ultimate survival food, it's the only meat you can eat raw and not worry about diseases .
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
 it's the only meat you can eat raw
I bet it would be better then the recipe I tried.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Ah, Ron. You and I have the same pallet. Creamed chip beef on toast is a favorite of mine, grits are another. Groundhog, porky, coon, possum.  MMMMMM. I have dined on alot of the small game bounty and they are all good eats.  

P.s. try you chip beef over grits next time.... It is heaven on a plate
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Don't have them here in Mebane, NC
I would try one though....
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Cant get any diseases from Porkypine?
Maybe but as a teen in VT my friend and I were eating some lunch during a fall squirrel hunt when we were charged out of nowhere by a very angry Porcupine.  We both unloaded our 12 guages on the "Mad" critter.  That things insides were crawling with huge tapeworms.  I mean gigantic.  Grossest thing I have ever seen.  Poor thing was goin crazy with all them worms wriggling around his insides.  Probably was starving to death as well.  Couldnt eat one for that reason alone...less I was starvin.

A few years earlier my brother was charged for no reason by a angry porcupine during a grouse hunt in an old apple orcherd.  I wonder if that one too had been writtled with intestinal tapeworms.  Not saying you couldnt cook it up and be safe but I always found these two incidents interesting.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I'd like to give that a try!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I know someone who shot and ate one.  I'll take his word for it. Not that I fear the flavor, just too dang lazy to skin one.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I know someone who shot and ate one.  I'll take his word for it. Not that I fear the flavor, just too dang lazy to skin one.
That was the fun part Charlie.  The neighbors came over to see it because they had only seen them on TV.  Actually, the neighbors come over quite a bit when I come home, just to see what critters we came back with.

Leather gloves are a requirement.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I killed one once with my belt knife, it was coming at me making an aggressive sound. I chucked the 6" blade into him from just a couple feet away. It took him a few minutes to die but it took the fight out of him. I didn't eat that one.

Frassettor, I think there's more than enough porcupines in the woods to feed all of the lost hunters..     :rolleyes:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Chipped beef on grits????  Grits, eggs, butter and cheese with some pepper!!  I've eaten raccoon, armadillo, flying squirrel, groundhog, rattlesnake, and all sorts of other stuff.  In Florida, I helped a guy catch possum one time using a burlap sack over the large opening at the hind end of a dead scrub cow and beating the sides with a stick.  Got 3 possum like that-lost my curiosity about how possum taste!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Ron is the Ultimate Woodsman killin a Porky with his knife. I bet Badgers are scared of him
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
<<<<<< This guy dont mess wid Porkys
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
 Ron is the Ultimate Woodsman killin a Porky with his knife. I bet Badgers are scared of him  
Just the opposite, I got charged by a badger once. It was in the spinng of the year and I had ridden my Honda Trail 90 to check out some fox dens that I knew about. This one den was in the middle of a big grass field and the grass was several feet tall. I parked the bike and walked in to see if the den was occupied. When I got to the den the grass was all matted down in a 30' circle. I was checking out the den entrance to see if there was any fox tracks in the sand. I heard a rustling and saw the grass moving in a line towards the den. As I watched a big badger popped out into the opening. I just stood there looking at it and it had stopped and when it's eye's met mine I said, "Hello there". It came at me as fast as it's short legs could carry it growling as it came.    :scared:    

I was wearing shorts and sneakers, all I could think of was those long claws on my bare legs. I jumped straight in the air and when I landed I was 8 feet away. Every jump after that carried me 10 feet or more and I didn't stop to look back until I got to me bike 100yds away ... I probably set some kind of record for the 100 yard dash..   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
This sounds like another one of Ron's stories, or rumors'n recipes. Bring em on.  :biglaugh:    :jumper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
Ron, I'm not sure if they all are like the one I watched a guy dress out for a meal but in the case of that one I had never before seen so many parasites inside and outside of an animal in my whole life. I relies that a good hot fire will kill anything but that was a little much.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
I would eat porky to survive.....and maybe try it if someone had a knack for cooking it.   However, I would always have in the back of my mind,  the fact that Porcupines eat their own feces to obtain maximum nutritional value from what they take in as "food".    :saywhat:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
LMNS, I don't know where you heard that they do that but I don't believe it. Anyone that has spent much time in the woods where there are porcupines has seen piles of porkie pellets at the base of a hollow tree where they have denned up for a period of time.

read a little more about them in this link.

http://bobarnebeck.com/ppines.htm

about their eating habits
 http://www.allstateanimalcontrol.com/animals/porcupines/porcupine_eating.php

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
.....it's actually very interesting!!! A porcupine is what is know as a "hindgut fermenter".   They will consume up to 60% of their feces.  The practice is called coprophagy....
This is just one small bit of info below....
you may have to print it to read it.  Check out the 4th page,  right side and read on!  Very interesting!
 http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR_203.pdf

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©