3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shield cut or parabolic  (Read 686 times)

Offline Hunterjp1

• Trad Bowhunter
Shield cut or parabolic
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
Is there any difference in the way shield or parabolic  cut feathers fly. Is one quieter than the other ? Or are they the same and just a personal preference to what shape you like. If you have experience with both please share it. Thanks !
Black Widow PCHX 58"  45# @ 28"
Zipper SXT 58"  47# @ 28"

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shield cut or parabolic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Parabolics are supposed to be both quieter and slightly faster, but at our close-in distances, this probably doesn't make that much difference.  I shoot 4" shields on mine, out of a Toelke Whip that's almost silent on release, and I don't hear any sound after release until it smacks the bag. Shields claim to be a little more stable, but I don't notice any difference whatsoever.  I kinda think it comes down to a properly tuned arrow.  If you're spun up you shouldn't  notice any difference, so it's down to personal preference-in my experience anyway!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
parabolics are quieter. just have someone stand off to the side when you shot,to see the difference any advantage you can get will help.cold mean the difference between a good shot and a bad shot.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Also, from my experience, parabolics are quieter. However, I like the traditional look of shields.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
In my experience Parabolics are definitely quieter. The only Shields I ever shot that were consistently quiet were some low profiles that Rod Kelley (Mountaintop Traditional Arrows, Kalispell, MT.) burned on some shafts for me.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I think parabolics tend to be more quiet, but I have encountered some arrows with parabolics that were noisy. I have found arrow flight about equal, but I simply prefer the look of shields. That is the primary reason I favor them.
Sam

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I think parabolics may well be a tad faster, and they may be more quiet. I shoot shields and have not gotten complaints.   :bigsmyl:

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
For me parabolics are quiteter.My 4-4" parabolic are quieter then my 4-4" shield and they seem to slow down alittle quicker.But also the 4" shield are slightly taller in profile then my parabolics  which I feel makes the most difference.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I shoot 5" shields, haven't compared the two.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
I've shot shield for a few years because they look cool but this year switched to parabolic just for a change and I think they look great too. Parabolic feathers are quieter and afford you a few more fps but the deer don't really care one way or another    :D
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I shoot the shield cut. Really prefer them better. But parabolic isn't bad either. God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
It looks like this is pretty much in the eye of the beholder here; I cut down some 5" shields on the arrows I made for my horse bow.  They still stabilize as well but seem faster, so that's one possibility, cut them down a little.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
i think parabolic are quieter.  speedwise i can not tell any difference. shield looks better to me.  just my opinion

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I have searched this extensively myself. Most would say the parabolics are the way to go. But the high backs are not as the 5inch standard profile.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Downtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I like shield because I shoot cock feather in and use the top hen feather to touch the tip of my nose.  Then I know I am at proper anchor.   Parabolic feathers tapper off to fast to touch my nose at my full draw anchor point.

Offline nocksmasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Downtime.. interesting technique.. gonna try it.

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Downtime:
I like shield because I shoot cock feather in and use the top hen feather to touch the tip of my nose.  Then I know I am at proper anchor.   Parabolic feathers tapper off to fast to touch my nose at my full draw anchor point.
I too use the tip of the shield cut fletch to help my anchor.
I wonder if you moved the parabolic fletching back as far as possible if you would be able to use it in the way that you can with the shield cut.
Would be interested in knowing if anyone has any experience with this
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Going with parabolic lately.  Quiet and good enough for Howard Hill and John Schulz.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I think it probably doesn't matter that much.

FWIW vanes are alot more quiet than any shape of feather. So if you shoot an elevAted rest ... you can just shoot those .... or really even if you shoot off the shelf ... people don;t like to hear it but a well tuned arrow and a clean release can shoot vanes all day without contact.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfshead:

Originally posted by Downtime:
I too use the tip of the shield cut fletch to help my anchor.
I wonder if you moved the parabolic fletching back as far as possible if you would be able to use it in the way that you can with the shield cut.

I to Would be interested in knowing if anyone has any experience with this [/b]
It works for me. I made several changes - one to left hand and the other to 3 under. I started using the top hen feather (actually, I rotated the nock so the cock feather was at 1:00 position) to touch the tip of my nose. I had both parabolic and shield cut and both worked. Rather than move the shield feathers farther forward to where they needed to be, I just cut the rear of the feather to achieve the proper distance from the nock. I'm sure I could use either shield or parabolic as a nose touch signal if it is positioned properly.

Meantime, I've gone back to split-finger draw and no longer use the feather as a signal.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©