3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strike Plate Tuning ?SS  (Read 626 times)

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
Strike Plate Tuning ?SS
« on: July 14, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Its wierd but I'm sitting in Kandahar thinking about the upcoming hunting season. I was thinking about my bears and tuning when it hit me. I've never been concerned with the strike plate width. I have tuned a lot of arrows to a lot of bows without ever being concerned about the strike plate.

Please educate me on Strike Plate materials, width and tuning.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strike Plate Tuning ?SS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
As long as you can tune the arrow to the bow, there is no use in messing with it.
Hap

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
I just recently started playing with the 3 Rivers version of Stu Miller's dynamic spine calculator...it has a slot to enter the thickness of the strike plate on your bow...I was coming up with some very odd numbers until someone reminded me that the thickness of the strike plate can be quite critical...so I got out the dial calipers and started measuring some...I now know for instance that a Bear Weatherrest is pretty much a tenth of an inch thick, about double what I would have guessed...I am from Canada and will still thank you for your service to your country...we have lost quite a few people in that area...not a nice place to be

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
it definitely can make a difference, depending on whether your riser is cut not quite to center, just to center, or past center. I shoot a Sheepeater Spirit (very short 50" static recurve) that was being kind of critical of the GT 3555's I was shooting with it. at 51#, I knew it was right at the dividing line between one spine and the next.

I was changing point weights, nocking point, and was about to start cutting the shafts down to stiffen them up, when a friend suggested sticking a little bit thicker piece of leather on my existing strike plate, thereby building it out some. lo and behold, that's all it took to dial in like a laser. of course, with longbows mostly not being cut to center, it can be more of a problem than with most recurves, but it's definitely not something to overlook, particularly if you've tried other remedies without success.

good luck!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Agree. Strike plate thickness, or more accurately the degree of center shot, makes a difference in the arrows dynamic spine. Closer to center weakens, further from center stiffens. Also the texture of the strike plate can play a part if its soft and pliable or stiff and rigid.

Many ILF bows can be fitted with a plunger to allow for adjustment of center shot and resistance.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
I admire you...if I was in your neighborhood I would not have the mental strength to think about the strike plate! Big thx for your service...also hats off to Dave from Alberta Canada who thanked you for you service to the U.S...that's a good neighbor!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Material and thickness type introduce multiple variables.

Just for a ball park figure example....

Bow is shooting left ~8"s at 20 yards utilizing an ~.075 leather shelf pad.

Replace leather pad with Velcro which will move the arrow right ~4"s.

Replace Velcro with a Martin Pad which will move the arrow right another ~4"s.

Note: The shelf padding may be effected in the a similar way except the increments will be in the magnitude of 2"s vs 4"s.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Have been working with a Morrison that was driving me up a wall searching for consistency. Knowing that part of the problem  was the shooter--still looking for a more forgiving setup. Put a tiny strip of leather under the bottom and sideplate and these high points drew it all together. It is perfect--now to work out the shooters problems. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Friend brings up a good point that I think Rick Welch promotes, tuning your bow to your shot or something like that. You can have properly tuned arrows that hit right, left or were your looking, that's three different setups for three different amounts of center shot.

And I also thank you for your service WhiteOaks.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Good points all around.

I believe this is a critical piece to tuning I've been missing. I have a lot of bows and I think it would be more practical and cheaper to learn more about the strike plate and its affect on accuracy.

Does anyone have any ideas about what works best for material. I use velcro so I could add layers. Add match or tooth pick. Leather. I don't know what's best for the tuning process.

It would be nice to have a multi layered strike plate that you could peel the top layer off until you find the right width.

Gotta be an easy way.

As for thinking about hunting while in Afghanistan, it keeps me sane. This place s!@#ks.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
Each 1/16" equals about 5# when tuning wood either up or down.  I don't know anything about aluminum or carbon.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:00 AM »
Bjorn,

Thanks for the tip.
That helps.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
There are two ways to tune a bow - tune your arrow to shoot good from your bow or tune your BOW to shoot the arrow where you look (this is done as mentioned above and is how Rick Welch teaches).  For me hands down the Rick Welch method is far better.  I can tune an arrow to fly good - but if it consistently hits right or left then I have to relearn each bow I shoot.  However, If I tune my bow (through arrow pad manipulation) to shoot naturally where I look - then I can pick up bow after bow and be on (at lease as far as right/left).
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
So whats the easiest way to figure out the right strike plate with?

Someone suggested adding layers of electrician tape to determine the right width, then adding a match or toothpick under the existing strike plate.

Any more Ideas?

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I like to cut a short piece of an old wood arrow and split it to get the thickness I need and put it behind the strike plate, which for me is a thin piece of leather.
Chuck

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Chuck,

That sounds like a good idea.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
This will not help with the thickness issue...I believe the best shelf material is seal skin....tough and slippery with the hair on...tough to get in the States...you might be able to get it sent to Afghanistan... I also really like the forgiveness of a featherrest
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I now tune all my longbows and recurves with the pile side of velcro,  Why?  Because it is quiet, very durable, has self-sticking tape and I can get it at any drug store, wal mart, etc... across the country.  I use double-sided carpet tape (also available at most wal marts) to build out side plate as needed.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
I'll have to check out the seal skin and thanks for all the tips.

Can you stack the velcro or is it best to place something under 1 layer?

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Randy,

I have been stacking velcro with good results on both the strike plate and arrow rest. I have an old Plainsman recurve with a flat shelf. I build up the arrow rest with shorter strips of velcro under the piece I shoot off of to give the rest a little radius which helps shootability. The strike plate I just build out with equal size layers of velcro.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©