3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Enough Arrow?  (Read 274 times)

Offline Passingthrough

• Trad Bowhunter
Enough Arrow?
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Hey everyone. This is going to be my first year hunting with traditional equipment and I need a little guidance. I know when I list my bow and equipment it's not 100% traditional...I'm working on it I'm just slow to change...lol.

But seriously I am shooting a hoyt excel 21" riser (ilf rig) with ******** black max 45lb recurve limbs turned all the way in so I'm shooting closer to 47-48lbs at 28". I'm shooting full length beman ics bowhunters 500 spine (7.3gpi) with standard inserts and 175gr points. Tab, 3under, 3 4" feathers. Let me know if you need anything else.

It shoots straight and tunes well. However my total weight for my arrow with point is only 447gr. is this enough at my poundage to ethically kill whitetail deer out to 25-30yds. I know most of my shots will probably be under 15yds but I want to know worst case.

I have been looking at shooting the zwickey delta or Mag I's. Sorry for the long post but wanted to try to give you all the info I could up front.

If too light how would I increase weight without effecting arrow flight?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Enough Arrow?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
9-11 grains per pound is fine so if your arrow weighs 433-517 grains you will be fine as long as it tunes and flys well. The tuning and flying well is very important but you have enough weight to do the job.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Lots of reports of guys killing animals with setups just like yours.  If you really wanted more weight, go with a heavier head and shorten your arrow to compensate, but if they're flying good, your good.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Everything I've shot in the last several years has been with bows around 50# and arrows ranging from 350-420 grs. Never had a problem with penetration.

You should have more than enough to get the job done.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Your good to go. I'm shooting beman ICS 500s with std insert, 175gr broadhead at 28.25" and total weight is 432. Your set
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Passingthrough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Awesome news everyone...thanks so much for such speedy replies! I really didn't feel like changing things up this close to the season. I know we are a few months out here in Georgia but I have been shooting close to this set up for almost a year now.

Can I expect pass throughs at close range(under 20yds) or am I asking a little much?

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Lots of guys shoot ILF bows and carbon arrows,  shoot what you got, you're good.  IMHO, this is all about the challenge, skill, and the hunting experience.  Pass through for deer, yes; Cape Buffalo, maybe not.  Good hunting.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I think your arrow will work just fine but I would discourage the 25-30yd shots at deer. A LOT can go wrong at those distances, especially for a new trad hunter. JMHO

Bisch

Offline Passingthrough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will probably keep the shots under 20yds. Most of my deer shot with bow, and back in the day my pistol and rifle have been 20yds and closer with the exception of a few. Thats one reason I said why not traditional. I get close enough already. That and it has really brought back the fun to archery. Good Luck this coming season to all. Thanks again!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©