3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maturing  (Read 591 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Maturing
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
So how long did it take you to "mature" into who you are as a trad hunter/archer?

What I'm getting at is, I started shooting in 2006.  Only owned 2 longbows up until 2010, then started checking out some other bowmakers, designs, etc.

Last summer I switched from shooting a glove to a tab (mainly due to some finger pain I got from training up for my month with Miss Faith which was 10 lbs heavier than I normally shoot).  I stuck with the tab.

Now, this summer, I'm trying to get back to a glove only because I hate hunting with a tab, but do shoot more consistently with one.

I've pretty well settled on what bows I really like and what bows I just can't get along with.

I've "refound" my form at least twice now....LOL

I believe I shoot decently, definitely not on the level of many here, but my 6 month old Glendel buck's core has been filled in once with 'great stuff and now I'm getting back to having arrows pass through it quite often.  It was new 6 months ago.

Just wondering when I'm going to grow into an adult as a trad guy (I'm 44 right now...LOL).

Not sure if any of this makes sense, but it hit me today while shooting.  Similar to the trad journey thread a while back.

Thanks for reading my rambling.

How long did it take you to mature as a trad guy or at what "point" did you get there?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maturing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I was 10, 1962

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Guess what I'm asking Bob is when did you "find yourself" when it comes to how/what you shoot, your form, your preferences....what you like/dislike....what you prefer/don't prefer...
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I have been hunting for four years. First year I hunted with a hand me down compound and the past three have been with trad. Even though I've killed with trad gear, this year I finally feel like I'm really comfortable with it. I've tried many shooting styles, grip styles, broadhead/arrow combos and now I know what I like and why I like it. This is gonna be a great season.   :bigsmyl:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Only 58 years. You have a ways to go.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Reddogge,
I'd surely be blessed to end up with that many years.  This is my 35th yr of hunting coming up, but not sure I've ever had this much fun.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Very good thread Ken. I think on of the reasons folks get burned out, is that they tend to focus on things that don't move them further along in areas that really count.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I think that with every one its different. For some its just a fad that eventually blossoms into a way of life,(or not) and for others, they know at the instant that they release that first shaft from a traditional bow that they get it.
For myself, it was an afternoon spent with an old gentleman, smoking Apple flavored tobacco some 35 yrs. ago ( plus or minus) with a longbow and a lifetime of wisdom and kindness to share.
Traditional maturity can come in an instant for some or it may be a slow progression for others,
but no matter how long it takes, for those who choose traditional archery, the end result is always the same, the simple joy of following the path that they have chosen.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
don't over think it!
Mike

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I'll be 65 next month, and have shot since I was 8 or so, wandered into compound land for a few years until I realized I really didn't like lugging all that garbage around on a simple hunt, gave it all away and replaced it with a Hatfield takedown.  I'll let you know when I've "matured", `cause I'm still very much a kid.  The only difference is, I don't have to ask for allowance now!!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I to am 44 years old, and have been hunting trad. since 1989 with the first custom I bought a Bighorn for a whopping $232. It took me 2 seasons to feel confident hunting  with a recurve although I killed a buck my first and second year.I really wanted to be good with a trad bow ,so I spent a lot of time shooting and developing my form,grip,release ect...I was very hungry for perfection never reaching it but , always trying.  Of course that was before wife,and kids.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Ahhh, grasshopper, you have much to learn.. Enjoy the trip- it never ends
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I think it was in the late 80's. I have shot since the middle 60's. I had been playing around with compounds for about 5 years and finally threw it down. Then I bought a Hatfield takedown and shot it about four to five times a week in the mountains. I live close. By the end of summer I could hit about anything I wanted. Since then I have been pretty confident and I know what I like. I still buy bows occasionally just for fun. But my style and grip on the bow hasn't changed. Gary

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Tomorrow.  The next day.  The day after that.  Since I did my first English project in eighth grade--the one where you have research several books and present the findings in front of class, as well as, turn in a "report". My teacher was named Mrs. Couch.  She was blown away.  She had no idea of the depth and breadth of the sport of archery.  That was in 1971.  After I explained in diagram, how the recurve limb worked as opposed to the longbow, it was evident that this is who I was and not something I did for a hobby.  SO, if this is who/what I am, it stands to reason that I will be so tomorrow, the next day, the day after...just a little more grey, a few more lines and a bit wiser.  
I have rubbed shoulders with some of the greatest men to ever draw an arrow.  I hope yet to do more.  I am where I want to be and no where close to what I need to be. If archery were about comparing my group to someone else's, I would simply cease the operation. I take archery seriously and do not take myself seriously at all. I tweak something here and there all the time.  Growth!  
I remember when Jim Brackenbury died.  They broke an arrow and placed the fore end with him to guide him in the right direction and gave the the fletched end to his family to signify where he had been.  Unlike the arrow that ultimately slows down and stops, the man that released it never has to do that.  Thankfully, I never have to settle for the bowman I am today, Maturity will make me different tomorrow.  I await that with great anticipation.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I refuse to grow up. You guys need to go hunting more often .Sitting around thinking too much. been playing with bows since grammer school not sure exactly when . Im always getting better at hitting and hunting stuff. So im not ever going to grow to maturety.Life is short and theres too many games to play still.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
Instead of using the word mature, let's use "comfortable with our choice".  I see this quite a bit with folks that are new to traditional style bows.   Some weather the storm and growing pains and some do not.  Shooting a traditional style bow well is not easy and pin point accuracy every time is difficult to obtain, but everyday we continue to practice in an effort to obtain perfection.     :thumbsup:

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
I grew up once didn't like it.Now retired acting like a kid again.Playing with the grankids and still flinging arrows.Bows and arrows were made for kids like me.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
In my maturity... I have regressed to my roots.....

I have shot bows & arrows for as long as I can remember!!! I started bowhunting in 1976, with a 50# Bear Alaskan & cedar arrows, tipped with old green Razorheads. Put a weatherest on the old Bear and shot aluminium GameGetters with plastic vanes in the 1980's. Did the"compound thing" for a few years, but... It just wasn't my thing!!! Gave up bowhunting for awhile, Then got back into it in 1996, with an old 55# 1967 Kodiak Magnum & wood arrows. I did the "custom" bow thing for awhile as most did & still do. But, I just like shooting the old Bear recurves..... There's just something about them, that brings back memories & takes me back in time. When I'm hunting with one of my old Bears.....

I'm 16 again!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
What Tim Said!  :thumbsup:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Funny you should start this thread.
I was just talking about that very thing yesterday.
I switched hands at 65 years old, and am wondering how long it will take to get the consistancy back, that I enjoyed shooting righty.
The journey is 90% of the fun.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©