3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to go in November?  (Read 521 times)

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to go in November?
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I realize I live in an amazing area of whitetail country but I'm looking at going out of state sometime from Nov. 1st - Nov. 13th. I need an over the counter tag or maybe a left over tag if I am not too late. I will be hunting public land or walk in hunting. Will be camping in a tent. I don't mind getting away from roads... Much prefer to hunt deep away from roads. I kind of feel like there are so many options that its hard to narrow down where to go. I will also be going alone. I am willing to drive a good distance if it looks promising. I am just looking for ideas.... Please throw some at me.

Thanks

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to go in November?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Stay home, that is the Chase Phase, and the best time to be in the Midwest woods.  That's my idea for that time of year.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I knew I would get that.... I know I must be crazy to leave licking co. Ohio

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Just my 2 cents but I'd say Nebraska would be hard to beat the first week I think their gun season opens earlier in the month, my dad hunts nebraska every year and has killed 3 pope and youngs in the first week of November...  I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Ohio those dates, I hunt just outside of frazeysburg and it's been real slow lye last few years anymore I prefer the last week of October. Good luck on your search
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Last couple years have been tough..... It's hard to find land to hunt anymore..... Most everything in this area is leased up..... I just am too stubborn to pay to hunt land I guess. I need to keep saving and buy my own piece of land so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
I would say you should come to Montana but the out of state tags are ridiculously expensive.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
My vote will always be Montana. But like the Dwarf said, the tags are crazy expensive if you want a guaranteed. I'm gonna live there someday
*****sigh*****
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Personally if it's whitetail your hunting I don't think there's a better state to do it than Ohio.

I would give a serious thought to finding a really big chunk of public land with terrain tough enough for you to hunt it like you would a pack in elk hunt in the Rocky Mountains. That's if a place exists where you can pack in far enough in rough country to have to yourself.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Gotta agree...leaving Licking County in November?   :knothead:  

I have a nice spot here in PA...I'll trade with ya!   :pray:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Good luck finding anything in licking co. To hunt.... Gotta have money to hunt here anymore. A lot of land is leased up.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with wanting to try new places!  I've always wanted to go somewhere where I will see a lot of deer. The old days along the Milk River in Montanna would have been heaven for me!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
If you want to buy land someday take the thousand bucks or so that you'll drop on an out of state whitetail hunt and put it in the "land piggybank".  If I was in your shoes and looking for decent public hunting in that timeframe not too far away I'd check out western KY.  There used to be some pretty good public hunting in SW Indiana as well, but those areas have been hit hard by 1. the IN DNR and 2. EHD last year, so populations are generally way down compared to a few years ago.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I hear some areas in NE didn't get hit too bad with EDH
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Irish wilderness south central mo.

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I used to live in Licking county before I moved to MI., sorry to hear about the leasing situation.  I would suggest going down to the Wayne Nat. Forest area.
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Check out South Dakota, alot Deer.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline awehrmann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Look into Halsey State Park in central Nebraska. Thousands of public acres with whitetail, mulies, and antelope. Great whitetail in eastern NE but land is tough to find here....

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
MT and ID would be great choices.  MT has leftover tags and a deer combo is $570.  There is no such thing as a guaranteed tag anymore, the system has changed.  Since the regulation change it seems they don't sell out.  The MT tag comes with upland bird and fishing....that could be a great trip.  ID has a ton of whitetails and over the counter tags.  For what it is worth any weapon seasons will be on in both states during that time frame.  There are a few bow only units though.  Washington has some great whitetails on the east side of the state if that is of interest.  

You can certainly get away from the crowds out here.  There are a couple of wilderness areas that would be a blast to hike or float while hunting.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Unless you are looking to hunt another species I would definitely park my A$$ in a treestand somewhere in Licking Co all day everyday.

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys..... I figure the best odds of seeing bucks is this time frame. I have from end of sept.-first of feb. to kill a buck in licking county.  But it is hard to argue that I live in great whitetail country.... Just looking for a change and get away from tons of hunting pressure and leased out land.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©