3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HABU Guys  (Read 497 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
HABU Guys
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Saw someone talking about a Habu Jet model.  Is this something new?  Thnx for info.  

My name is coming up and was curious.
Blessings,
Steve

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HABU Guys
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Steve

Yes it is a newer vyperkahn made like the dark matter - no woods.  Chris said a little heavier than Mac ebony - so pretty heavy.  I was going to try one but chris set the price at $2500.  Chris's woods are so pretty it didnt feel right paying more for a non wood version.  No performance difference.

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Wow.  Thnx Mike.

How much heavier than wood models?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Chris can give exact numbers but it was noticeably heavier bocote and coco, but not much different than ebony( which was what I ordered). There was a couple oz diff between each wood in that order with jet being the heaviest. Make sense?

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
Yes sir.. Thnx
Blessings,
Steve

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Never had a Jet in my hands but I imagine its an excellent bow. I know one thing...the more I shoot my Vyperkhan the more I love it! I shot a bottle cap 5 times today with mine at a touch over 10 yards. 3 times in a row.  For me Habu bows do all I could ever ask of a fine bow. And the grip is the best out there at least for me. Pretty sure everyone knows. I love 'em!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I got the Jet.  Took it off Lonewolf73's hands.  My first Habu.  I'm lucky, bow is absolute like new, made Sept 2012, and no 2 year wait.  Riser 2.2 pounds.  Benchrest rifle of bows, hehe.  It's superb, when I got it from Kimba and unpacked it first thing I thought was "dang this is like a Mercedes, or a Bentley."  Absolutely flawless.  I shoot split and at 8 1/4" the thing is absolutely quiet with a 600g arrow and shoots them at Millennium Falcon velocities.  The Jet has a nice bocote accent strip up the 'back' side of the riser and two marroon glass stripes also.  Will post some pics shortly.  Oh and the white script, well it doesn't look right in pics, but in person it just works.  Amazing bow.

I decided I had to try a Habu, and BOY am I NOT sorry I did.  Thing looks like a million bucks and flat out performs.  I get it now.  So many guys who haven't tried one bemoan the cost and wait.  All I can say now is that I get it.  I put it in perspective--I have a background in restoring classic cars.  The shop I used to work for charged $45/ hour flat rate for resto work.  If you divided $2500 for the Jet by $45 that's 55 hours of work...for a bow some would argue is the pinnacle.  A week and a half's work?  That's not so unreasonable.  But then again I'm a bit of a bow nerd along with my hunting so I get a kick out of high-po stuff.  For some a $500 Martin is enough, but that's not me.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Here she is..the Black Death, haha.  Pamike mentioned wood vs. all glass for the riser on the Jet.  I think the point is the mass, very high at 2.2 lbs, and also the sheer durability.  This seems to be a riser you could drive over with a truck.  Seems bombproof, that's the word Kimba used.  I have a feeling it weighs a good bit more than ebony.  Can we get a weight measurement on the ebony version guys?  If you add the limbs you're prolly talkin 3 lbs for this bow.  Not everyone is gonna want that, but I'm a big fella and don't mind it one bit.  The best part is the bow doesn't look ungainly, I was amazed how graceful the bow was in person when I first got it.  It's a winner and keeper for me for sure.  I really feel like I need nothing else at this point, other than to try a few other makes here and there.  But this is the Queen of the harem, no doubt about that..

I think the next natural step is to put in an order someday for some additional limbs, maybe some Hycurves?  I think someday I will, I get it now and would gladly do the wait and pay the $.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
If i remember right chris said 4oz more than ebony - total weight. The Mac ebony is pretty heavy as well.

Love that bow
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
Absolutely flawless, and don't let Sixby tell you otherwise.

OK!! They are wonderful. Perfect in every way. No other bow even comes close or equals them.
 I am really glad you like your bow.
Don't shoot any others and you will stay happy the rest of your life. There may actually be something to that. You could pay 2500. for a bow and save lots of money simply by not buying all these other bows and trying them out. Makes sense.  when you own and shoot a Habu you have a bow you can be proud of in any company. You paid for the best and deserve it.

God bless, Steve

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »
Lol.  Steve, not to worry, I stated pretty plainly that since I'm not the original owner I paid quite a sight less than 2500.  Please don't take my line 'don't let Sixby...' as a jab, it was meant more tongue in cheek than anything. Quite simply, I've mined the posts about Habus on TG and the other sites and noticed you had a good handful of comments about them.  Whats wrong with a little praise for Chris Cox?  He's not active on the forums plugging his Habus so his only advertising must be word of mouth.  No worries, I hold quite a few other bowyers in high regard, no Kool-Aid here, and I'm lucky to get the chance to try many different bows through the classifieds, noting each time which bows I like and which I would order new.  I'm still on the lookout for one of yours bud. I'd really like a go at one of your Frontier 66 models or one of your takedown models.  Up til now I've seen few for sale, prolly cause their owners won't give em up..might just have to order one spankin new from the source!   ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Seeing the Jet for the first time in your pictures, it looks like a mighty fine bow. I sure like the narrow throat of the grip. And the riser looks trim.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Yea the grip on them have slightly changed from the old recurves. The change is for the better in my opinion. Very thin grip and the shelf is very very close to the hand.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Yes the shelf is very close to the hand, bout as close as it can get I'd say.  The grip is very comfortable, seems like a nice medium wrist.  The bow is very easy to shoot well.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
I love my VK, also on Chris' list to get my second. Bet the Jet is really stable due to the extra mass weight.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
looks like a sleek killing machine.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
looks like a sleek killing machine.
I agree 100%!!!  It's got HAWG written all over it.  But now now lets watch that word 'killing'..some of the fellas out there who think we lullaby the deer to sleep plucking our bowstrings might take offense!!   :p   j/k j/k.  In all seriousness it is a fine weapon.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Are all vyperkahn limbs interchangeable with the risers?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Yes I do believe they are.  I've been eyeballing those Hycurve 55@28 limbs on the classifieds, hehe, wondering if I should sell a harem girl.  They aren't carbon though..hmm.  They must be pre-2008???  Prolly still REAL sweet shooters though..
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I had a set of hycurve non carbon and they were awesome - even more quiet than carbon.

I saw them too but I have too many limbs already - I was thinking about finding another riser and making two bows out of my setup. I really like the LB and RC limbs.

If you see a bow for sale we can split it - u get limbs and I will take riser!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©