3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stringmaking help needed  (Read 160 times)

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
stringmaking help needed
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Tried my hand at my first flemish string this weekend. I ran into a couple of problems. I used tan/green B50
1) After twisting my first loop and twisting over to close the loop, I combined the 2 strands of the same color. Started that twist, and I finished the green way before tan. (make sense?)

2) When starting my second loop, I noticed the strands weren't the same length. Seems that a little tugging solved that problem)

3) After taking strands from the jig, I waxed heavily. When I twist the green, it forms a "single" strand and holds together. When I twist the tan, it doesn't hold together very well, and the individual strands want to seperate?

Any advice is appreciated. I have watched a couple of videos, but they just give the basics.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stringmaking help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Did you notice a difference in waxiness right off the spool ?  I have seen different spools exhibit different levels of waxiness, so one may need a lot more than the other to be even.  

Are you trying to be even in your twisting and not twisting one color more than the other (like, to make up for les wax on it).  If you started even , you should end up fairly even.

ChuckC

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
On the uneven finish could be you were twisting one color tighter than the other.

The difference between the two spools sticking together might be that one was pre-waxed and the,other not. I see this a lot.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Uneven twisting makes sense. I think I will try to place a clip at my start point to better use my hands. Now that I think about it, ChuckC is right. I think the loose strand is the culprit. That is the longer of the 2 after the loop is done.
The tan string seems to be waxed, maybe not as much as the other though.
Thanks for the tips. I'll just keep trying till I get it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Not necessarily uneven twisting. Could be the dye in the tan might make the tan strands a little thicker. This happened to me with B55 and using brown/yellow. Yellow was thicker and ended up shorter when making strings. Yellow feels less waxy too. Again, I'm talking B55.

Before making second loop, I counter twist both bundles (roughly 11 or so times each bundle)to allow for final twist so BOTH bundles come together as one round bundle. If I do get uneven lengths in the bundles before second loop I do as you did, just pull until the shorter one gets stretched a little an they get even.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Yep, could be unequal string diameters.  I use red and black D-97 a lot.  The red is definitely thicker than the black.  To have the bundles come out equal in length after the first loop, I either use one strand less of red in the string bundles, or a strand or two less of red than black in the loop padding.

As Bud notes, counter twisting before starting the second loop will make for a much smoother finished string.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I find this a lot with B55. Some spools have much less wax, and seem to stretch at a different rate than other spools/colors.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Probably a slight difference in the strand size--it happens.  Sometimes the material absorbs one dye better than the other, which makes the strand a little bigger.

It's an easy fix.  If the difference is noticeable, like it is with you, just add a strand to the smaller color or drop a strand from the larger.  Minor differences can be "cheated" out by twisting one bundle a tiny bit tighter than the other.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©