3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NM Shelton A fine one  (Read 442 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
NM Shelton A fine one
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I recently had my New to me shelton up for trade. Big mistake...after quite some headache I got the right arrow/point weight together and this bow shoots great.I`ve always shot wood or aluminum from my hill style bows and getting carbons tuned was a task. Took a while to realize they are STIFF.
  Its off the for sale block .
  i must say this is the sweetest at the shot longbow I have ever shot.You can only hear feathers as the bow makes no noise.It draws so smooth I could probably shoot at least 5 pounds heavier.
  folks looking for a great hill style bow should look at these northern Mist bows.They sweet.RC

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NM Shelton A fine one
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I thought you might have been jumping the gun a little too fast on that bow.  I haven't ever herd a bad review about a NM bow.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
What are the specs of the bow and what is the arrow/point combo did you find?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
RC,
I very happy for you. Glad you figured it out. I would have liked to own another RC bow tho!   :bigsmyl:   Always meant to tell how much I enjoyed your post on your state web site. It was about shooting deer and holding low. Great piece.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Thanks guys. The bow is 66" long and around 49-50 pounds at my draw. I`m shooting GT 35/55 29.5 long and 275 grains up front. Pink arrows by the way from Big Jim. I may have to get some brown paint though...RC

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I just got some of those pink arrows too. You have to admit they grab your attention.

And you are so right about the Shelton. I had one very similar to yours and it drew so smooth I could have easily shot 5 more pounds. Trading that bow off was a big mistake.

steve

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Same here.. I have a NM Shelton that's 52@28, I probably get around 55 out of it.. But it is so smooth I thought it was light...

I have another one in the works thats 59-60@28.. I'm guessing I'll get 62-63 out of it..  Great bows.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Great RC. My Shelton should be here any day now. Can't wait. Mine is about the same specs as yours.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
RC, Yes they are a fine shooter, my favorite! It sure does take a lot of weight to get them carbons soft enough. I'm shootin a 29 1/4" 150 with 275g with a 56# Shelton at 29" DL.

My favorite part is the release, when that string comes off the fingers you hear nothing and feel nothing.

Eric

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
WAY TO GO Brother RC!

My first Shelton - that WESTBROOK kindly sold me - was a most-excellent shooter!  Because I moved up in draw weight - and I needed a new clutch - that fine shootin' longbow moved on to another Trad Ganger.

Steve's standard straight grip fits me perfectly and one day I will have a 68" or 69" Shelton back in my herd.

Enjoy!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
I was wondering if you were shooting split or 3 under the past few weeks. And, if one way or the other was giving you problems with that bow.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Glad you got it dialed in RC, Hill styles are deadly quiet, deadly accurate, and just plain deadly. Did I mention they throw a heavy arrow with authority? Excellent choice for a hog hunt    :thumbsup:  

Congrats and watch out for the Hill virus, it's very contagious!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Good for you....my new NM Baraga is the finest bow I have ever owned......
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing RC.  I've always shot GT 3555's cut to 29" out of longbows ranging from 46-52# at my 28" draw.  However, I recently tried some GT 1535's out of some longbows from 47-50#.  D-shape longbows with shelves nowhere near center.  What a wonderful difference it made for me.  

Specifically, right now I'm shooting a Bama Hunter that is 64" and 50@28.  Using 29" GT 1535 with 200 up front, for a total arrow weight of 475 grains (9.5 gpp) and getting perfect flight.  If I want to use GT 3555's with this bow, the arrows are 29" with 300 up front for a total of 590 grains (11.8 gpp).  Both setups work great.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
I was thinking about some 15/35 arrows but I hunt a lot from a tree stand and like my shots close. so for a downward close shot I wanted to get over 500 grains to help me get and exit for a blood trail.I been shooting a bit but have not been able to go hunting. Its rained near everyday here for nearly 3 weeks with only two days with no rain. Hopefully we will get a bit of sunshine and I`ll be able to get after some pork.I`ve hunted with Hill bows a lot in the past and killed quite a few critters with them but I`ve never shot one that felt this sweet.I`m already trying to figure out what to swap and sell for another...RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©