3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back From Arizona  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back From Arizona
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
A picture of some of the country we were hunting. Steep canyons with lots of ravines, dry washes and creek beds.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Another picture and I'll have to come back later with the rest of the story.
IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/bowjack/IMG_0975-1.jpg[/IMG]
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/bowjack/IMG_0975-1.jpg[/IMG]
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Well that didn't work so I'll be back later anyway.
Jack Shanks

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Great story Jack, we are patiently waiting for the rest of it! Congrats on the Javie!! That is some gorgeous looking country!!!  Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
We spent the next couple days checking out different areas of the ranch. We would get up each morning at 6:00 AM and eat breakfast. Tom would have our lunches packed and we would be on the trail a half hour after daylight. We would make a twenty mile or so circle and be back at the ranch just before dark or after. Tom and I had three animals between us. Two mules and one horse. We would take turns each riding the horse one day and the mules two days. That way each animal was riden two days and had one day off. Jerry had two horses and rotated riding them each every other day. By the fifth day the dogs needed a break. We took Jerry's best dog Odie along with us in case we hit a fresh lion track and rode to some high ridges and glassed for deer. We saw a pretty nice buck with some does on the opposite hillside but by the time we could circle around and plan a stalk they were no longer there. As it turned out that was the only buck we saw that day.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Rooster was working and staying on another part of the ranch for a few days west of Oracle. He called to tell us he had seen a lion while gathering cattle the day before so the next morning we loaded the truck and trailer and drove an hour and a half down there. This area known as the Black Hills was more rolling hills and quite a bit more like desert. Lots of huge old saguaro cactus along with all the other varieties. We made a big loop riding up and down some dry washes and ravines but never cut a fresh track. We did see a few mule deer but nothing we could put a stalk on. We hunted until late in the afternoon and then drove the hour and half back to the ranch.

As luck would have it Rooster was working in another spot on the ranch where during the night a lion had drug a calf that had died out of a holding pen and buried it. He had no way of getting ahold of us so he turned his hound loose on the track and it ran the cat clean off the ranch onto another where we couldn't hunt. I'll try my luck at picture from the Black Hills.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
This is a picture I took during our day outing in the Black Hills west of Oracle.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
A friend of Tom's from Tucson, Chris came up on the weekend to ride with us. We hunted one day from the ranch house without cutting a fresh track so Jerry came up with a different plan. We would get up an hour early trailer the horses and mules back down to Oracle with the plan of covering some new country by riding all day back to the ranch. The plan was to then ride from the ranch the next day taking a different route back to the truck and then trailering everything back to the ranch. Chris could only ride part way with us as he needed to head back to Tucson that afternoon.

Soon after riding out of Oracle we ran into another group of lion hunters driving ATVs up a dry wash towards the area we planned to hunt. We had to make a change of plans and head off in a different direction and hunt another canyon. Early in the afternoon we finally cut a fresh lion track and the chase was on. We were in a steep canyon and the lion took Jerry's pack of seven dogs up into the boulders and sandstone cliffs high above our position. Tom and I stayed with the horses in the event the chase went over the top we would need to ride around the mountain to follow. Jerry went up on foot after the dogs. From the sounds of their voices we knew the hounds were close behind but once the cat hit the rocks and the cliffs the dogs couldn't follow. With the chase ended. Jerry gathered all the dogs but couldn't find Odie.He had heard him bark last up in some cliffs but he didn't come or answer his calls. It was getting late so he finally had to give up his search for Odie and head down the mountain with the rest of his dogs. It was late in the afternoon by the time he got back to where Tom and I met him with the horses. We had a three hour hard ride in steep country ahead of us and only one hour of daylight left.

We made it back to the ranch after 8:00PM took care of the animals, had dinner and went to bed. It was a long hard day but I still didn't sleep that well knowing we had a lost dog. I'm not sure that Jerry slept at all.

I had hoped that when we got up in the morning that Odie had returned but he hadn't.
Jack Shanks

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Jack,
I'm enjoying the adventure. Were you near the 96 Hills?

Hope Odie is OK.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Chad,  Sorry, I'm not sure where the 96 Hills are so I can't say.

It was a pretty somber party of hunters that left the ranch that morning. No one said much in the three and a half hours it took us to reach the spot where Tom and I had picked Jerry up the day before. It was a long climb up to where Jerry had last heard Odie and I wanted to go with him to help search. I didn't know if I would be more of a hinderance or help but it seemed like going with him was the least I could do given the circumstances.It took us an hour and a half to claw our way up through the rocks and brush to where Jerry had last heard Odie. Jerry was in the lead fifteen yards above me calling for Odie when he suddenly changed his tone and start cussing out his bonehead dog for not answering him earlier. I knew then that Odie was OK at least until Jerry got his hands on him. He yelled down to me that he just saw Odie stick his head over a ledge some thirty feet above him and then duck back. I made my way up to Jerry's position and waited for him to climb up and retreive his hound off the ledge he had been stuck on for over twenty hours. Other than hungry and thirsty he was no worse for wear and we made our way down the back side of the mountain to where Tom met us with the horses. It was now 2:00PM and we had a long ride ahead of us. After eating a quick lunch we proceeded on towards Oracle where the truck and trailer were parked, reaching there an hour after dark.We ate dinner in town and then headed for the ranch house arriving after 9:00PM. After taking care of the animals we hit the bed as tomorrow was the last day of my hunt.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Before we leave in the morning I tell Tom and Jerry no matter the outcome of the day I have had a great trip.Finding Odie yesterday was worth more to me than any lion could be.All we need now is a little more luck and who knows?

We leave the ranch early that morning just as we have done in the nine previous days.The day unfolds pretty much like all the others too. We make a big loop checking some creek beds, dry washes and ridge tops to see if a lion has been through them lately.Ocasionally the dogs will hit a cold track and bawl on it for awile but there is never enough scent for them to follow far.The young dogs can't resist chasing after a fresh deer track after they have jumped it including Rooster's three dogs that have joined the pack today. They usually don't chase them far and we continue on our way without them. They always return a short time later, tongues hanging out.

By late evening we are in Stratton Canyon making our way back to the ranch house.The last two times we have come back this way it has been past dark so I'm glad we still have a little light left so we can see to duck the overhead branches in the trail.The dogs are scattered about some still hunting for sign others following the horses. When a dog suddenly bawls ahead I don't think much about it.The dogs following the horses are gone in a flash and pretty soon the whole pack is barking on a fresh track. We aren't far from where the dogs treed a family of coatimundis the first day so I'm thinking that is what they are chasing. Jerry rides ahead and in a short time I can here the short chops of the dogs signaling they have something treed.I'm sure of it now, coatimundi.I here Jerry yelling I think at first for the dogs but as we get nearer Jerry is running towards us yelling hurry up the dogs have a lion cornered in a mesquite bush. He then turns and runs back. Tom and I are off our mounts I grab my bow and quiver and we are running up the creek bed towards the commotion. The dogs are in a barking frenzy with a few yips thrown in. I'm ahead of Tom and as we reach the scene I can see Jerry standing on top of a rock on the side of the creek bank.He is yelling for me to get up there.I claw my way up the bank to him and peer over the rock. The lion is sitting on a rock ledge twenty feet away with Rooster's bluehealer, Joker and Jerry's catahoula, Junior barking in his face. I grab an arrow from my quiver before handing it over to Jerry. I can't shoot from here for fear of hitting one of the dogs so I step closer. It isn't like when yo have a cat up a tree and there is time to tie the dogs up. Things are happening fast. We are all yelling for the dogs to get back and I am waiting for an opening. The lion turns just enough and I draw and release all in one motion. I am less than fifteen feet away and at a steep angle. The arrow enters high in the left shoulder but looks good to me. The lion seems uneffected by the shot so I grab another arrow from Jerry. The lion has turned and I can't get another shot from this position so I quickly move around to the other side of the boulder to where his right shoulder is open. I drive another arrow down high behind that shoulder. The lion pitches off the rock into the pack of hounds below. I'm sure he is done. We scramble off the rock Jerry in the lead followed by me and Tom bringing up the rear carring my quiver.Once again I was wrong as the lion wasn't finished quite yet. I no sooner hit the bottom of the creek bed and looked up and he was headed straight at me with the pack of hounds and Jerry in tow. All I could do was swing my bow at him for protection and he passed by me a few feet away. I grabbed my quiver from Tom and joined the chase that had ended in the middle of the creek fifty feet away in a shower of water, dogs and lion. In the time it takes me to cover the distance Jerry already has his foot on the lions neck the lion has Jerry's dog Blondie by the head in a death grip and a dew claw through her ear. I pulled an arrow from my quiver and drove it with my hand through the lions chest in an attempt end it's life quickly and try to save Blondie's. It is over in an instant and the lion moves no more. We have to use a stick to pry the dead cats mouth open and release the hound who is howling the entire time and then thread the lion's claw back out of her ear. She will survive to chase other lions. I'm not sure I will ever again. I think one lion is enough for me.

The whole incedent is over in a matter of minutes from chase to finish. It is too late for pictures so we bring the lion back to the ranch whole. We prop him up on the back of Rooster's flatbed for a pose in the morning and he is frozen to the truck bed in that postion when we get up. We need to pour warm water on the truck bed to unstick him. We take our pictures and Tom and Jerry bring him in the ranch house skin and butcher him while I'm packing to catch my plane.

By that night I am back in Michigan and still amazed by what happened.

Outfitter Tom Klumker  

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Guide Jerry Jump and some of the real heros. Odie in Jerry's hands. Two of Rooster's dogs Joker in the middle and Pup. We couldn't get the rest of them to stand still long enough for a picture.
MG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/bowjack/IMG_0993.jpg[/IMG]
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/bowjack/IMG_0993.jpg[/IMG]
Jack Shanks

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Wow.  INTENSE!

Looks like a really NICE cat too!

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
one last try
Jack Shanks

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Sounds more like a survival contest, quite an adventure.
Great story.
Congrats on your hard-earned lion.
Those hounds are some tough critters in their own right.
"My health is best in October"

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Great story Jack, I could feel the excitement in my gut. Gotta love those hounds. Congratulations on a wonderful adventure,and memories for life.

96 Hills is an area north of Tucson that I hunted in the '70s. Used to be some good Desert Mule Deer in the area.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Awesome!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
WOW...I'm STILL out of breath, just from reading it!!! Thanks for sharin!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©