3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Bow for under $250 ??  (Read 700 times)

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Bow for under $250 ??
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Any of you that have read my "would you trust this" thread know that I am looking for a hunting rig for this season after my bear grizzly broke last summer and am low on funds. I am looking for a decent hunting bow for under $250 bucks if possible. Preferably new, but I have been scanning the classifieds constantly to see what pops up. Any recommendations would be great. Times running out. Thanks.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Bow for under $250 ??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Jon I would say scan the ads with a type of bow you want in mind. Recurve or longbow , take down or one piece. Length of bow and weight of pull. I think you will find most all that have ads on here are trustworthy. Most are passing along bows that are not fitting them perfectly or once they get their hands on them , is not what they wanted. I have some bows for sale. [email protected]

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Jon,

I'd personally go the classifieds route.

There was just a great Bob Lee Dark Archer sold on the classifieds for $200.

Whoever snatched that bow up got a heck of a steal!

A lot of great bows for great prices on here.

Matt

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I see you're in ny, what area? if you're not too far from denton hill Pa, it might be worth it for you to check out the blanket sale next weekend. last year I got a hill country longbow for $250.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Check RMSG on the web. I have two lefties for sale on the web page.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
If you cant find one in the used route, Samick Sage, put a fast flight string on it and you have a sweet shooting little bow and still have money for arrows and broadheads!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
3Rivers has a Martin Jaguar right hand only for $249. I think it was a new item in the most recent catalog,and it's showing on their website.

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Jon,
Sent you a pm about a Hornes Traditionalist.
Dave

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Check out Kustom King also.  They have some great choices, made in Germany, 30 year warranty!!  Pete Ward's website reviews most of them quite favorably.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
I have one word for you: used. Almost any used vintage bow is going to be better quality than anything you can get new for $250. I know there are a lot of Samick Sage fans out there, they're OK, but they are what they are.... Beyond the obvious Bears, which seem to bring the highest prices, look in the classifieds and on the auction sites for Wing, Damon Howatt, Shakespeare or Ben Pearson. Lot of great old bows out there for less money.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Check the classifieds. Pick up something around 40-45lbs at 28" and learn to shoot the darn thing. You can even post a wanted add with some criterion.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I have loved grizzly bows for a while.  You shouldnt have any issues finding another one of them matching your criteria.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
not sure how I managed to double post here
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I have about a buck and a half in all my bows for the string and arrow rest, the rest is free plus some shop time.

Cut my own wood and start shaving off the excess.

I find my bows to be up to the task on any deer.

Once you start making your own bows, the idea of spending a pile of money on bows won't make sense to you anymore.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Eric stop teasing, next thing you know is his entire property will be covered in shavings, saw dust everywhere, staves all over the place and all his and his neighbors trees cut down, then while hunting he's too busy looking up at trees to look eye level for deer.

agree with you 100% though,, 8^)
"Us vs Them"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
I have one word for you: used. Almost any used vintage bow is going to be better quality than anything you can get new for $250. I know there are a lot of Samick Sage fans out there, they're OK, but they are what they are.... Beyond the obvious Bears, which seem to bring the highest prices, look in the classifieds and on the auction sites for Wing, Damon Howatt, Shakespeare or Ben Pearson. Lot of great old bows out there for less money.
Mahan' makes an excellent point.  Eric does as well.  You've got options.  Have fun with it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Okay guys, maybe this was bit misunderstood. I'm definitely not a novice traditional archer by any means,I've been shooting since I could walk and consider myself a good shot say consistent 3-4" groups at 20-25 yards, a lot of the time better. I'm in the college boat though, and like all of us college students I am dirt poor.

I had a 45# bear grizzly that I bought when I was 13 and shot probably close to 200000 arrows through her before it developed some twist and a small crack last august after a long 3d shoot.

The main reason I don't want to go the cheapo samick sage route is I feel like after shooting a grizzly for so long it would be a small downgrade. Not sure. My bear wasn't perfect and the finish wasn't great from the factory, so maybe it wouldn't be.

Eric thanks for the self bow idea, and guess what, I've made close to 3 dozen self bows. some are pretty good even, but I am not as confident shooting them as I would like.

So I guess from your suggestions I'm gonna be looking at a lot of used bows and see what I can get until I manage to get through school and snag that 80k a year job.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I would reccomend an older Damon Howatt Hunter.
In my opinion it is the best bow you can buy for under 200 bucks and better than most costing 3 times that much.

John

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
You can't beat the classifieds here.  Some great folks to deal with and all of them will be happy to answer any questions you might have.  If you find something you like and don't have all the $$ right now....just send a message and politely inquire if they might be willing to work with you.  I've bought a couple and the sellers were happy to work with me.  Especially if the bow had been listed for a little while.  Just offer to pay half now and half in 2-4 weeks....or whatever you can afford and comfortably work out.  Let them know that you DON'T expect them to ship the bow until they receive full payment and that will certainly let them know you're on the up and up!  Just make sure you are understanding and polite if they can't work with you.  Sometimes we need the cash asap for personal things (or another bow).   Can't hurt to ask and you will end up with a great new bow that's better than you might be able to rush out and buy with the money currently in your pocket and might even end up with a new friend!!  

There have been some amazing and desirable bows on here lately at incredibly good prices!!!  Wish I hadn't just lost my good job!!  HA HA....

Just a thought....that and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.....not including the "tip"!!     :D
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
if you look on Raptor archery's website he has used bears there that are hunting weight and very affordable.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©