3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your preference on a Tree Stand Harness?  (Read 561 times)

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
What's your preference on a Tree Stand Harness?
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
For those of you that hunt out of tree stands at times, what harness do you use? I currently have an older Stalker Hunter Safety System but really wanting to get a thinner, less bulky harness. I'm in between with the newer Hunter Safety System Xtreme something and the Tree Spider Speed harness. I really like the bungee tether that attaches to the tree on the tree spiders but don't know if they are of high quality...? And they are a bit pricier. Anyone have opinions with either?

Thanks, Scott.
66" Fox Triple Crown 48 @ 30
58" Big Jim Thunderchild being built

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your preference on a Tree Stand Harness?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I really like my HSS pro series vest.  I love all the pockets and how easy it is to put on. The mesh lining is pretty cool.  Originally I planned on buying one that was as minimum as possible, having used a SOP in the past.  But I found I really liked the vest and all the pockets.  Everything I carry in the pockets I was carrying anyways, but not it is always in the same place.    If you are looking for really lightweight one, a lot of folks seem to like the one from Muddy.  I tried one on and didn't care for it, but most all others that use it have nothing but good things to say about it.  There are even a lot of guys going with just the rock climbing harnesses now.  Again, not my choice but many really love them and they are less expensive and very light weight.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Summit Seat o the Pants.  I also have an HSS that is light and comfy, but after I bought it I found the made in China tag.  I'm really not comfy with trusting my life to made in China.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I've got a Muddy and HSS Pro...don't really like either one. Use one that came with an older Summit more than any. It's the lightest.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Mountain climbing harness for me. Much lighter and easier to put on.

Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
How do you lower yourself to the ground in the event of a fall?

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
jax, if the question is aimed at me, I use a rope and a Gri Gri that Tippit recommended. The Gri Gri is attached to the front of the harness with a carabiner and is easily reachable to lower myself down.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
Hunters saftey system
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
Bill, I use a GriGri as well (Tippit is a good salesman)  With my SOP harness the GriGri has to attach behind my head.  I've gotten to where I can work that, but I know they are really designed to be worn in front.  Is that how you are using yours?  If so, how do you run the attachment rope to the tree?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
Ok guys GRIGRI??? Fill me in. Thanks.   BILL

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Hunter safety system here.  Cost a little money but cheaper than doctor bills and my life.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
HSS "Bowhunter Harness" Works for hanging off trees to hang stands as well.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Bullfrog, the GriGri is a descender device made for mountain climbers, etc. that allows for easy and controlled descent on a rope by using a lever.  Pretty slick set up.  They are made by Petzl - try a Google search and they should pop right up.
I haven't needed to use mine as an emergency descender, but I have had more fun coming down out of stand just for practice!   :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Here is a link.  I hope this is ok to post since it isn't listing a price or trying to sell them - just describes and pictures the product.
 http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/belay-devices/grigri
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Joe, Do you have the GriGri on all the time while in a tree stand or only when ascending or descending?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
AHH. I see. A question for you guys using the rock climbing harness. Most do not have an attachment for a tether in the back do they?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Rock climbing harness for me.  I'll never wear a treestand type harness again.  The reason?  IF you fall, it's easy to end up facing the tree.  Then decent or getting back to a ladder, stick or stand is a breeze.  It also takes the weight out if you groin area so lack of blood flow and death from hanging in a treestand harness cannot occur.

Not looking for an argument, it's just what I believe in.  Oh and a set up with lifeline is about $75-$80 instead of twice that for big name brand treestand harnesses.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline MAGICMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I use the silent slide. It's just a safety belt. I just set it short eneough to where there's no way to fall off the stand and you can spin 360's in the belt and the tether just slides as you spin. I really like it and won't go back to a full harness.
Judge not less thee be judged yourself.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I've been thinking seriously about my situation with a body harness for a few years.

I've been lucky and never had to depend on a harness, but have had two open heart surgeries and therefore had my sternum..breastplate.. sawed in half twice. I've often wondered if the sudden jolt when the harness strap comes tight with my weight would crack it open.

I do try to set my strap to the tree high and fairly tight when sitting to avoid the jolt, but don't always.

I've been giving the Rock Climbing Harness some serious thought. Although I've had major back surgery also and don't know how the jolt at the waist would work out either. That $100 fitting I don't know about.

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Hunters safety system. I can put it on in a few seconds & wear it while I walk to my stand. Climb in, hook it up & im ready to hunt. Instead of getting into my pack untwisting a harness putting it on taking it back off 3 or 4 times to get it on right. Then I wear it on my walk back to the truck & take it off there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©