3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Bighorn Sheep Hunt  (Read 1019 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Bighorn Sheep Hunt
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Great looking family Steve, Awsome country too.Thanks for the story, Sounds like the Sitka gear did real well for ya. Mine came in while we were in Montana and I couldn't be more pleased.

Good luck to you the rest of the season.  :)

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
A great story and awesome pictures, thank you for sharing  :)

DQ
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Great story and pics!! Congrats on the hunt and with the familt too. Well Done!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I agree great pic's and a great adventure.. FWIW, I heard on the news just today, a couple of teenage girls, I believe in the Ft.Collins area disappeared over night, the next morning they found they had fallen into an abandon mine with their 4 wheeler. One didn't make it the other is critical. Good point on the old mines to any foreigner going into the area.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Steve you should be comended, for getting so close to your ram and not taking a risky shot.
 At least it allowed you to spend the month up in Colorados high country.
 Not many places nicer than that.
 Good luck drawing your next sheep tag.

>> Tom >>
"My health is best in October"

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Steve,

I followed your story over on the Bowsite.  You are an admirable hunter.  You worked hard and enjoyed your time on the mountain.  Like you, I know what it's like to come home without a ram.  I am now waiting for my second sheep tag--maybe next year.  Your story has inspired me and made me more anxious for my next hunt.  Unlike you, I'm fortunate to live in Colorado.  But, it still can take many years to get the tag.  Again, thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Mike

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Great story and pics.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
SJS,

Yes, I did make it to the Bowsite a few times...I was communicating thru PMs to get more intel; there was NO time to come in here--it is too addicting   :p  .

I saw some incredible things in the mountains.  I saw my first mountain lion in the wild.  It was a BIG mountain lion!  I saw a red fox kill a rockchuck and a red tailed hawk swoop down and take a cottontail.  

I wish I had an adapter to take photos thru my spotter; then I would have some GREAT shots.  For now, here a few more of my favorites.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
This is NOT what you want to see when you are stalking a ram!  It is hard to see, but that is a lightning bolt on the right...

But then, I do not see many thunderstorms here in Michigan that produce SNOW!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
The kids had a GREAT time.  My wife and I were planning on taking a vacation out west to show them the mountains in a few years; this tag moved that up a bit.  I have a friend who is an outfitter in Idaho.  We hope to pack in to the White Clouds on his horses so they can get a real wilderness experience someday soon.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Simply awe inspiring Steve!  You did it right, and like you said, left no regrets on the mountain.  What a cool trip!
I know you were in darn good shape before you left, but now you must be one lean, mean, fighting machine after that many days up and down those slopes!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Joe,

That is correct sir!  It sure feels good to know you can go anywhere!  I am thinking real hard about going lion hunting this winter so I stay this way   :thumbsup:

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Great story, Steve!  I've done some stompin' on those very same peaks.  You're sure hunting for all the right reasons.  Good job.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Great stuff Steve, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to actually getting to pack a bow after my sheep in a little less than a month. Gotta try and get Brian on an elk first for the St Jude hunt he bought. Thanks again for sharing your trip!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline dhwooda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
WOW!!! Great recap!  Are you sure we don't have some customers out there!
Dean

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
On Monday Aug 27th, I wandered into a Subway in Leadville CO. I'd just spent a few days around here

looking for mule deer.  Only seeing a few bucks and not thinking the area in general was right, I decided to climb out and spend an afternoon in town to recharge, study maps and come up with a new plan.  When I wandered into the Subway for a meal, I get behind this guy in line wearing Sitka Gear head to toe.  Darn serious elk hunter I'm thinkin.  So, I pipe up...."elk or deer hunting?"  "Sheep" was the response.  Whoa, I thought.  He was polite enough to share some of his story with a stranger but I didn't want to keep him long as I knew he had precious little time left and was on THE sheep of his hunt.  I didn't know until reading this post he was a Tradganger.  Good thing, cause I'd have probably kept him there all afternoon!  Mr. Steve O, what a privelage to meet you sir and while I was impressed with your story then, now you are THE REAL DEAL in my book.  Hope to see you again some day.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
LOL what are the odds?  That's neat Duckbutt.  Beautiful pics Steve O and nicely told.  What a great chance for you and your family.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Julian,

I was on a mission...my resident buddy and I were hunting opposite sides of the mountain.  He called to tell me he found 6 rams we could stalk; all I had to do was get him lunch on the way over   ;)  

It was a pleasure meeting you...I was a little worried about walking in there with full camo, but then I realized it was OK in CO   :D  .

I wish you had your maps with you so I could have been more specific on where we had seen some nice bucks.  As you could tell, I was getting pretty worn down by then.  Did you ever find any good bucks to hunt?

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Steve O Camo no problem I once walked in a store in Delores Co. with a pistol on my hip forget I had it on but the clerk (women) eyed me funny then I realized.It was a .22 for grouse but should not have had it in town but in Ville Platte La. I don't think it would raise an eyebrow in most stores.Nice pics and hunt hope you get another chance,Kip

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Steve, thank you for sharing your hunt with us. I think it is awesome that your family got to share this with trip you! When you get the chance, post and let me know what camera you used and I am curious as to what bow/arrow/broadhead combo you carried? I do hope you get drawn again, but if you don't you have already made memories that will last forever! Thanks again, Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©