3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: in pursuit of the cliff dwellers  (Read 496 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
in pursuit of the cliff dwellers
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
hey folks i thought i'd share with you a day hunt/scout i had a couple of weeks ago not far from my home.

i got to the property as it was getting light after the hour drive from home.
my plan for the day was to do some scouting for an upcoming 3 day backpack hunt here in october with a mate. i wanted to explore an area the owner says no one has been to for 10 years. i love the sound of that, don't you? the terrain can be very rugged but that's just how i like it.

there is a creek that flows into the main river that bisects the property. it's the catchment of this creek that had my attention.

i parked up the ute and made my way upstream along the main river to the ridge that overlooks the confluence of the side creek. my intention was to use this ridge to go up the valley formed by the side creek. this would allow me to go up the valley above the creek and check out some north facing slopes that i wanted to scout, since goats prefer north facing slopes because of the drier more open plan living this aspect provides. the south facing slopes tend to be more heavily vegetated, something the goats seem not to inhabit with the same regularity as the other side of the hill. the less vegetated side of the hill affords them many more vantage points from which to keep an eye on the world. perhaps they just enjoy a view like i do?

anyway after a couple of hours of slow hiking into the backblocks punctuated by spells of listening for the bleat of goats i stumbled into some ultra fresh pig sign. so fresh i went into still hunt mode expecting to hear or bump them at any moment. it wasn't to be though.

content with just having a nice day in the bush, alone checking out country rarely visited by man, the non event with the pigs didn't dampen my enthusiasm to explore.
i forged on stopping often to listen for a bleat of betrayal. none had found my ears so far.

continuing on up the valley i once again found some fresh pig sign. by now it was lunch time so i listened for swine and goats while eating my tuna and biscuits and when i threw my banana peel away i couldn't help but wonder if a pig might find it and have a cheap snack.

pig sign. slow right down time.

got to have dinner now. back later.......
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: in pursuit of the cliff dwellers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Beautiful country!  I found it interesting when you mentioned the north slopes being drier and more open - then I remembered "oh yeah, he's down under!"     :knothead:   And while you are off having dinner I'm just getting up with my first cup of coffee.   :coffee:   I'll be waiting   :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
after lunch i decided to go a little further up the valley before decending into the creek and beginning the walk out. i hadn't gone far when i stopped for another listen and heard a buzzing noise. i knew what to look for and here's what i found.

a bee's nest. bumping into things like this are what makes being in the bush so enjoyable. that would be some sweet tasting honey in there.

so it was, i made way way down a steep gully into the creek, by chance at the head of a gorge.
the creek plunged down through the rock on it's journey to the river. being impassable, i had to go around the beginning of the gorge a little before i could drop in. when i did it was like another world. the temperature dropped the vegetation changed dramatically and the sun disappeared. it was a completely different ecosystem. the steep walls of the gorge plunged what lay underneath into deep permenant shade. the creek provided moisture, a pocket of rainforest amongst desert it seemed. i couldn't help but stop awhile and just enjoy being there.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Awesome, thank you for taking us along. You have a good writing style also.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
after enjoyment of the scene, progress downstream was in order.
it wasn't long before i sighted the first game animal for the day. some nanny goats feeding on a bench halfway up a cliff face. this one was licking a soak coming out of the cliff face which was no doubt laden with minerals.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
That and all you share, seems to be in the category my friends in Montana would call" Sudden Country".

Sudden up and sudden down!

Do it while you're young and strong... amazing country you have access to...

Keep the story coming.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
That is nice looking place !!
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
still i left them alone. their position rendered them near unapproachable and today scouting the new area was more the objective than killing. so with that thought i continued on down stream, the jungle giving way to more normal habitat as i went. soon i rounded a bend and had full view of some bluffs and cliffs that i had seen earlier from up on the ridge. a quick glass soon revealed a goat lazing in the sun at the top. by now it was mid afternoon. i decided to make a mad dash up the hillside and see if i could get into range. i love spot and stalk in rough terrain like this. half an hour later i made the summit ridge after gaining about 300m in elevation in about 300m of horizontal travel.
as i snuck down the the start of the cliff a breeze blew in my face, upon which was carried the stench of billy. got to love the smell of billy goats, not because i like the smell but because it reminds me of past experiences and because it also carries the hopes of the near future......
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Getting exciting!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
This is good stuff!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Aaaghhhhh!!
Now I wanna hunt goats down under!
Killdeer~rapidly ageing.
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Good post Oz. I enjoyed it.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
That is pretty country.  I would love to see it some day.  Thanks for the pics and keep 'em coming.  

TG
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Cool stuff.   :campfire:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
moments after the smell hit my nose the unmistakeable sound of a billy hit my ears and with a couple of more steps he came into view from behind a ledge. strangely it wasn't the same goat i had glassed from the valley floor but as luck would have it he was on his lonesome, giving the 'getting close' part of the deal a little more chance of success.
he stood up and began to sidle the face. thinking he might walk out of my life i followed as hastily as could while trying to minimise any fast movements and noise. luckily he stopped, propped up on a rock looking down the cliff, voicing his presence to those who cared to listen. having seized opportunity to make enough ground to be within my shooting range and nock an arrow while he was preoccupied, i settled in behind a convieniently located cypress. for now at least he was in control of the situation. the black billy began to pace back and forth across the top of the cliff, looking down, looking my way, then looking down again. all the while i tried to reposition my feet for a better stance in case he gave me a shot. again he walked back to where he started always seemingly partially obsured by a tree or a rock. by now i was in a good shooting position i just needed him to stop somewhere at a favourable angle to allow me to shoot. by this time i could tell the billy was thinking that this had gone on long enough. with luck on my side he turned and walked back once again, this time stopping half way.......in front of two trees.
i could see his chest but he couldn't see me, usually the opposite happens. sometimes luck plays it's part. at first the trees put me off but after a few moments of concentration the subconscious said 'go time'. often that is the opposite too. i'm a big believer in listening to my instincts in deciding whether to shoot. sometimes a shot opportunity pops up but things don't feel right and when your in that frame of mind the shot has already missed. instinct decides and i rarely question it. it's too often right to bother.

i don't know if the trees helped me concentrate more or not. i picked a spot, drew my 69#recurve and the arrow was loose when i hit my anchor point. the 980gr arrow flew through the estimated 18m of space that seperated us landing right on the point of concentration. it vanished and i thought it lost forever somewhere distant down the valley. i had helped make up the billy's mind to the depart the scene. he crashed over the cliff and out of sight. i went and collected my pack and then scrambled down and found him and by chance, my arrow.
beside the tree that stopped him from going all the way to the bottom stands a large, long since dead, cypress pine. the resting place of that arrow.
by some slim chance the arrow must have bounced off a rock, glanced the trunk of the tree then lodged in a side branch. a bizarre set of circumstances had saved it from a trip into the abyss to be lost forever. instead it now bears testimony to the fact that a hunter has been there.

here's my sight picture at the shot. the billy was standing a little beyond the line of rocks, facing to the left. his head behind the larger of the two trees and his vitals dead center bewteen them.

you can see here were it hit the trunk then lodged in the branch. out of reach, it remains there, giving meaning to the my name of the location, 'arrow tree cliff'. also, i like it when yellow feathers turn orange.

thanks to a small cypress the meat was saved from a long tumble and being badly bruised.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
time to try out my new pack. packing out some meat is always a good finish to a goat hunt. the back legs, shoulders, backstraps, kidneys and ribs came out with me. unfortunately the liver stayed behind. a victim of the fall he took. the kifaru spike camp pack with my heavily modified frame has become my ultimate daypack. it carried like i hadn't added any weight at all.
it turned out i was alot further back in than i thought. almost two hours of solid hiking later i made it back the to ute. wet and cold from fording the river a few times under torch light, i was relieved to see the ute again.

yet another rewarding traditional bowhunting adventure.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Tickbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Awesome story and great pictures.  Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Just reading your incredible and detailed stories and pictures, makes my aged bones ache, but I surely do appreciate the thrill of being an armchair witness to it all!

You guys ROCK! And must be some rock-hard gents!

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing!!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
:campfire:  
Great adventure. Thank you for sharing with us.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©