3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much will a 1/2" longer shaft weaken spine?  (Read 208 times)

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
How much will a 1/2" longer shaft weaken spine?
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
My 28" Axis .340 is just a tad stiff with a 75 grain insert and a 125 grain head. In addition, I need a touch more length for broadhead clearance, so I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. But I'm not sure how much 1/2" will weaken my shaft, and don't want to go too far.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much will a 1/2" longer shaft weaken spine?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
A rough rule of thumb would be 1"=5#=25 grs of point weight but the truth is,every setup is different and you would just have to cut one and tune to know for sure.Starting at 28",I suspect a 1/2" difference would be fairly noticeable.Playing around with Stu's calculator might give you a feel for how much that would change things.You would still need to tune to confirm.Good luck with it.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
If you want to keep the same tip setup, 75 grain insert and 125 grain head, the only way to know for sure is leave them long and slowly cut them back in small sections until you get a good bare shaft tune.  Easy if you have a cutoff saw, less practical if you don't.

If you aren't committed to that exact point weight I would just add the length you need for broadhead clearance and retune letting the point weight fall where it might.  

I wouldn't even hesitate to make a guess on how much longer you need to go, carbons seem to respond pretty quickly to a change in length.  When in doubt it's better to leave them long and cut back...can't put it back on once it's cut off.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I doubt you would notice much difference, but if you did you could build out your sideplate a smidgen to compensate.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm with Scattershot... Don't think you'll see much difference at all (if any) with carbons.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm close enough that I know I can play with point weight and make it work at 28", but I might cut my finger off with a broadhead attached. 28.5" should work for clearance, and I'll tune with point weight from there.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I've slowly over the last couple of years been dropping in bow weight. I draw 30" and a 31" 5575 Gold Tip worked perfect at 52/53@30. Now that I'm down to 47/48@30 a 32 1/2" 5575 bare shafts perfectly. I'm here to tell you a 32 1/2" arrow with a broadhead on it is a mighty long arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©