3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Altitude Issues  (Read 648 times)

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Altitude Issues
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
I am going on a pack In Archery Mule Deer Hunt the beginning of September. Hunting above 10,000 feet. I have never been above 8,000 feet. Do I need to consider any type of medication in case the altitude bothers me. The Outfitter does not seem to think so. I asked my Dr. about diamox and she said no. She said I am in good enuogh shape I should not need it. I would hate to ruin a trip because i did not bring something as simple as a pill along to cure altitude sickness. i have friends that hunt above 10,000 feet and most of them recommend diamox. Any thoughts ??

Thanks, Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Altitude Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Lip Balm is a must. Bring extra.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
My experience is when I moved from sea level (North Carolina on the coast) to right at 5000 ft (southern Arizona).  My trip took three days and we gradually gained altitude.  My first night in AZ was horrible.  My wife, daughter and I were feeling horrible.  Not sick but didnt want to do much.  I was in shape and still felt it.  After a day I was good but not 100%.  If there is a pill you can take along with you to combat the sickness I would take it with you.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Sounds like you've got a fun hunt ahead of you!  Everyone responds differently to the altitude, but the better shape you're in and the more water you drink the better off you'll be in the high country.  Regardless, you'll likely feel some effects the first few days as your body acclimatizes.  If the altitude does cause some problems, the best and most effective solution is to drop down in altitude for a day or two.

Have a great hunt, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Randy, I have always had a problem with altitude such as headaches, vomiting, and nose bleeds.  Last year I tried something new.  I drank large amounts of water starting a few days before the hunt and didn't even have a headache during the hunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
If you can, go a lil early and acclimate.  Sleep at 7-8 thousand for at least one night before you go up high.  Each day like that helps you.

ChuckC

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
As a couple people have said, water is huge. I had to carry my dad out of the mountains due to altitude sickness once. Let me tell you, it is very scary to have, and easily preventable. Being well hydrated and taking a couple days to acclimate yourself will be hugely helpful. A "bridge" day, where you just rest and drink lots of water at 6-7k, before going to 10k would be immensely helpful.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
A couple of things that I've done to help, besides the above mentioned, is:  
Multi vitamines with iron, and red meat leading up to the trip.
Double your water intake- not just more- double.
Don't overdoit the first 2 days.
I like Theraflu before bed; it helps me sleep, decongests. Get good sleep.
Avoid caffine and alcohol until you are well acclimated.  Ease off coffee before the trip.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. I am flying into Montrose August 29 and the next day packing into camp. Horseback into a Wilderness Area. 6 Days of Hunting. No easy way out once we are back in at camp. I will try drinking alot of water . i take a pack of vitamins daily. i do the aspirin daily along with a few other meds.

Thanks, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Aerobic condition to increase your 02 blood carrying capacity is part of that "being in shape".

But you never know about YOUR body's response.  I thought I had the FLU when I hit 10,000 on Mt. Casper visiting in WY on my move to MT.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Sent you a pm buddy.   Widow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
i've heard starting a regimen of vitamin E well ahead of the trip can help?  Suppose to help your red blood cells carry oxygen.  Anyone else ever hear of this or tried it?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Also, sleep with your head above your feet.

Water intake and two "easier" days to help your body adjust is good.  Oh, don't take any kind of antihistamines.  I had a sinus infection on my hunt and took sinus medicine.  My nose bled so bad that it was crazy.  Made it very hard to breathe too.

I think everyone reacts different.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
No carbonated drinks, take the first day easy to acclimate, and keep hydrated.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Read somewhere about Tums reducing the risk of Altitude sickness. Anyone here about this?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
No alcohol either
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
No Alcohol, No Coffee, No soda. All good tips that I will use. Thanks for the tip on that supplement Widow.
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I took a tablet called Altitude Adjustment the day before and two days after we got there and felt fine.  I went from elev. 30 at home to elev, 11,400 in CO.

NBot sure if it made the difference but altitude never bothered me, except I couldn''t breathe very well.     :bigsmyl:
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Altitude sickness can develop into something very serious. I do not believe being in great shape helps to protect you much. I have a friend that lives in Colorado at 7500 feet. He took a 2 week vacation to the beaches in California. He was 25 years old and in the best of shape. After returning to Colorado he developed altitude sickness and spent 3 weeks in intensive care. This almost killed him. His lungs filled up with fluid among other things.

Most that develop it have headaches and feel like crap. Others have chest pains and mistake it for a heart problem. You need to realize when something more serious is happening and get to lower altitude quickly as possible. Serious altitude sickness happens to very few but it is not to be sneezed at.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Being in good physical condition is the best medicine to avoid altitude sickness. That, keeping hydrated and getting enough rest. Traveling from sea level to the site and going out on the first day is asking for trouble. There is only 2/3rds the amount of oxygen in the air at 10,000 ft. a there is at sea level. Your body will eventually manufacture the hemoglobin so your blood can carry more oxygen but it takes time. Giving your system an extra day with plenty of rest will give it a chance to acclimate.

The other thing you can do to help, with your doctors advise of course, is to get a good aerobic exercise program and push into the anaerobic level briefly. Running is great for that. If like me your knees can't hold up to that any more, lap swimming will do the same thing. Your body will sense the oxygen debt and start building more hemoglobin before you go on your trip. I'ld find a good trainer to help you. You should be able to find someone at  local fitness center.  

Get in shape! Not only will it help prevent altitude problems, but you will enjoy your trip much more if you are not sick or struggling to keep up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©