3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help. Hitting low new bow  (Read 296 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help. Hitting low new bow
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Hey guys.  I have a question...   I gotta new Habu and it hits dead on left n right. All the way out to 40 yards.  Great feel grip etc.  but I can't raise up the arrow.  From close in all the way out it hits low.    

I've lowered and raised the nock on it until it gets poor flight both ways.  

Is it something that will "click" or is there some way to raise the impact of my arrow?  Thnx.
Blessings,
Steve

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help. Hitting low new bow
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Try a thin piece of leather material on the bow  shelf, sometimes it will help the arrow bounce up upon release

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Give it more time. I've had bows that took my brain a bit of time to adjust to shooting. More times than not it was a different grip.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Thnx
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Steve, I'm having the opposite problem! Lol. I think for me it has a lot to due with the bow hand position and how closer or far it is from the shelf.  Closer to the shelf produces lower arrow impact. Anyway, I think we have the difficult thing down regarding good arrow flight.  I just started aiming a little lower and it was good. I'm sure your computer between the ears will get it figured out.  Best wishes
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
I agree with billy. You should really give it some time to allow your brain to adjust to it. It shouldn't take that long.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
are you saying the nock is LOW when its in the target? Not that your arrow is ending up lower in the target than you were aiming, correct?

You would not change nock point to achieve 'higher' arrow flight so I think that's what you are saying...it's "nock low" when its in the target.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
I have one bow that  always goes  high, it is lighter than the others. My issue is finger pressure. If I used too much pull on the bottom finger, it goes high (bouncing off shelf maybe).
Just a thought with you having the opposite issue, maybe use more pressure on bottom finger. The pressure variance will adjust limb, tiller during draw, especially on bows under 50 lbs for me. I assume the top limb is bending more than the bottom or maybe the tiller is more positive on top than you are used too.

Just my thoughts, my wife says I'm usually wrong though-ha!

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
I had the same problem with a new recurve I got a couple months ago. I just built the shelf up a little and raised my nocking point. Now it shoots where I look if I do my part. I could tell a big difference. I think my brain would have compensated but I'm not very patient sometimes.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Ray, no.  I'm getting good arrow flight but just hitting low every shot.    I put some leather on the shelf.  I am gonna see if that helps.

For guys who hit high:  I've solved this problem before by a slight raise in nock point and double nocking.
Blessings,
Steve

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Pastor Steve, if you look closely, your Vyperkahn is designed so that the arrow is extremely close to your hand. Compare the shelf to one of your other bows and you will see what I mean. This could be what is throwing your brain off a bit. As was mentioned, one thin strip of leather underneath your shelf material will raise it up enough to cure your low hits.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
And i thought it was something important! Raise your bow hand!!!!!   :goldtooth:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Try cock feather in.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Chris recommends cock feather down - r u doing that?

Are u using Chris's little limb tip protectors or did u put a bigger one on the bottom? A heavy rubber limb protector on one end will affect the speed of the bottom limb - chris told me that years ago and now I only use his on Habu bows. Just a thought....
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Your just. Getting use to a new bow. Your bow arm, your anchor point, are in your comort zone.Mussel memory.
I would lower your knock point,  a 1/16" at a time, till your on. Or I would add a strip of felt, on the shelf.
Good luck

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
If you can do it without compromising your form, you could try anchoring slightly higher on your face with this bow. 1/8-1/4" could make a significant difference.  Whether you shoot instinctively, gap, or point of aim, you are effectively raising your "rear sight," and will need to lift your bow hand more to get back to your familiar "sight picture"... thus making your arrow hit higher.

May not be for you, but if your arrow flight is already excellent, it might be better than monkeying with the bow setup.  

Could be worth a shot...   :dunno:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm chomping at the bit for my next one!  I'm expecting a call anytime now from Chris! Going with the recurve limbs but I can't stop shooting my longbow Vyperkahn!  Only thing I can't decide on is wood. Prolly gonna be Cocobolo but if he has any ebony.....I don't know!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
If the left and right is good I would just give it some time.  Rick Welch says that any miss that is OK left/right is a good miss.  Your brain will catch up and you'll be on before you know it.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Like I said- raise your bow hand- it'll become natural quick.  I wouldn't change anchor or diddle with nock point simply because that's changing a lot more than just raising your bow hand slightly

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I thought of one more thing you may want to make note of: be sure, with a different feeling bow than you are used to, that you are not dropping your bow hand at release to watch the arrow fly.  That is also a sure way to develop "lowitis"!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©