3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Kodiak set up  (Read 430 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
New Kodiak set up
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I have a used, new model Bear Kodiak coming that I just bought. It is 50# @ 28 . What bow quivers are you using or going to be using on yours? I am thinking of a strap on EFA because of their light weight but I am open to suggestions of other quivers.
Also what set up have you found to work with this bow, brace height etc ?
Thanks...Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Kodiak set up
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
If it has 1/4-20 bushings on the side of the riser, I would go with that type of system. Perhaps a sidemount Great Northern???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Efa all the way. Can't bear em. Light, tuff, and grassy craftsmanship. Judy ordered my second one today. Should juno on the harley and disappear to NC this weekend and pick it up
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Any of the strap on quivers work well being as there are no side mount bushings. I am currently running an 8 strand SBD with my brace at about 7 1/4". These bows are very smooth & very quiet you wont be disappointed.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken... (which is entirely possile)

He said he had a "used,new Kodiak"... 3Rivers lists all new Bear bows a haveing "side mount quiver buhings" A fellow teaching my son's bowhunting safety class had a new Grizzly with a side mount Selway quiver.... It looked very nice on the bow!!!

No bushings? Possibly a 1959 Repro???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
That is true I am assuming he means the new model 59' Kodiak? If so then no it does not have quiver bushings. Other models such as the Kodiak T/D, Super Kodiak, Grizzly, Super Grizzly etc... have quiver bushings.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Yes sorry for the confusion.  It is a new model Kodiak.  They don't have quiver bushings.  Also I want a light weight. Quiver that I can also use on my 57 Kodiak.
Jsparky93  did you notice any difference in sound or shooting feel with the SDB string ?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I did notice a difference in sound you don't need much silencing with the SBD string. As far as feel it is very dead in the hand very, smooth shooting. No wonder everyone wanted bear to remake this bow.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
The quiver bushings are like $6 at 3Rivers and easily installed.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
I am going to make a contrary suggestion that you are free to consider or reject out of hand.

I fought the idea of bow quivers for a long time until I bought a  a 1958 Kodiak this past spring. I opened my mind to the idea, and I was successful in bidding on a White Wolf bow quiver during the St. Jude's auction.

It has a steel strap connecting the hood and the other end. As the guy says in the video linked below, if you're looking for a light quiver, this isn't it. HOWEVER, I found that the weight was a substantial aid to my shooting, as it steadies the bow hand. I like to think of it as a purist's stabilizer.

I had to cut a section out of the strap to make it fit my bow. I wrapped the two pieces together with some wide tape, just to position them, followed by some clingy camo wrap tape. The intent was just to see what it felt like shooting. Hundreds and hundreds of arrows later, I'm wondering whether I'll ever get around to a more permanent joining of the two pieces. The quiver has been rock solid, both at the taped strap and at the two velcro straps holding in on the bow.

YMMV, but you might be surprised at how the weight helps your shooting. I'm convinced it's the real reason hunters started lugging those steel bow quivers years ago.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I use a thunderhorn boa.  I love it.  Light weight and absorbs shock and viberation really well.  Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Eidsvolling, I agree on the weight helping with shooting. I have been a Black Widow fan for years, because I seem to shoot them the best, and I believe it is because os the mass weight. With that being said, I am kinda looking forward to something lighter.    :dunno:
 Aldo Leopold

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
I've got the small 4 arrow EFA on my new 59 Kodiak, works well IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©