3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those who love wood shafts.........is it just me?  (Read 395 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those who love wood shafts.........is it just me?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
actually I've been noticing something,,,,,, when I started I shot woods, then aluminums then carbon and I did mix it up depending if I had my selfbow or not but lately I took a shot and bought this Baraga here with cracks in the limb and I decided it would shoot woods only.

so I found 11 45/50 finished woods with 160 tips that Renee from the original Lost Nation Archery made me years ago before selling the shop and they have been dead nuts perfect!! okay I drifted off but my point is shooting the woods has rekindled a spark that went away years ago,,,, shooting a longbow with woodies feels fun again and I'm enjoying it big time!!!  I have talked with snag about ordering a custom dozen but the bow possibly blowing up kind put the brakes on that.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I have tried woods a few times. I like the idea and romance , but I love my carbons from my Hill style bows. I can make them heavy, or light my choice.
I do stump with the remaining 2 doz woodies of mine because I don't mind if I break them.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
I started with wood arrows.  I lost that dozen while learning to shoot.  Switched to alluminums becasue at the time I didn't know where to go to find wood.  Shot alluminums, switched to carbon, back to alluminum because I didn't need a high speed cut off saw and a mask to make some up.  I am now slowly putting together another set of douglas fir woodies for this coming season.  Seems I've come full circle.  Can't wait to send some fir down range.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
WOOD ARROWS TILL I CROAK! Just wish the price was traditional. LOL

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I think I read Hill said something like he preferred wood arrows because aluminum didn't have any "life" to them.  

I have to agree!

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I love wood arrows.   Ive made quite a few a them.  Past few years and currently,  I have been shooting carbon only though.  Just my honest opinion,  it is MUCH easier to make a perfect arrow with carbon and its components....and lately,  I have been taking advantage of this and doing alot of shooting.  Part of my heart breaks when I ruin a beautiful wood arrow.... there are no feelings when I break a carbon (which doesnt happen often).  I have far from forgot about wood though....and will shoot it again! As for now,  I will shoot the carbon a little more.
I was organizing my work area a few days ago....moved a bunch of arrow cases....and happened to open up one that had a dozen cedars in it,  all done up beautifully.  I closed my eyes and took a big whiff....AHHH!!!  the smell brings you to a good place   :thumbsup:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
I love making wood arrows. I also really like the romance and quiet of wood arrows, but can't seem to get them working as well as my carbons.  I'll probably use them for deer but when the rubber hits the road for my elk hunt this fall I'm afraid carbon arrows will probably be along for the ride.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
I use both aluminum and wood. But wood arrows have spirit. Wood arrows are made reflecting the love of the sport. Aluminum or graphite tells me what you do but wood tells me who you are.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I use both aluminum and wood. But wood arrows have spirit. Wood arrows are made reflecting the love of the sport. Aluminum or graphite tells me what you do but wood tells me who you are.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I use whatever but love wood.

Besides Wood arrows shoot farther than carbons   :readit:   .

Ok maybe not   :dunno:   , but I sure look a whole lot cooler shooting them.   :cool:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
I think I read Hill said something like he preferred wood arrows because aluminum didn't have any "life" to them.  

I have to agree!
He also said something along the lines of,that the "New" materials were probably even better for arrows than wood,but he preffered wood for the tradtion and romance. Me too. Wood only out of my Hill style longbows. When I shot recurves I used wood,aluminum and carbons.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©