3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfit Physical Therapy Device  (Read 231 times)

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfit Physical Therapy Device
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
I recently had a anterior disectomy in the cervical spine and haven't shot my bow for over two months and will have to wait another month before attempting to do so. At 70 years of age it definitely complicates the desired recovery and return to hunting. I thought the Bowfit device my be beneficial in speeding up the recovery process. My questions are: Has anyone used the Bowfit medium draw?  Second, how do I setup the device to be at my draw weight at my draw length? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfit Physical Therapy Device
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
My physical therapist used the rubber band approach. It is simply tubing of various pull. It works and was cheap. Many exercises can be done with this simple rubber tube.
Sam

Offline PRK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Like Sam said.  Work with your therapist. He/She will have different colored bands of increasing pull weights that you can use to simulate drawing a bow and working on your form.  I'm not familiar with the Bowfit but I have the Bow Trainer.  It has the bands attached with a chart that will tell you what weight you are drawing at your draw length for each of the 4 bandsl.  I used the therapy bands and progressed to the Bow Trainer to re-hab my shoulder and had good results.  I even attached a formaster to the Bow Trainer bands and still use it daily.  But, only do it under the guidance of your therapist.  Everybody's situation is different.  Good luck.
Paul

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
I have found the bowfit to be great although I havent had a surgery. but the draw weight is simple to adjust and simple to use.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Thank you for your responses to my questions. My surgeon has to authorize the therapy before the home health care agency can provide physical therapy. At this point he hasn't mentioned physical therapy, but with two more followup visits I feel like he will.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Head over to Modells or any good sporting goods shop and get yourself one of these. Start out with the "light" tubing then slowly graduate to "medium" tubing.

I'm using the "heavy" tubing now after one month for all my shoulder exercises. By hooking that round ball (attached to small strap) inside a door,(make sure you close the door towards you), you can pull back one tube to simulate drawing the bow.

I'm at the stage where I grab both handles and pull back to "full draw" hold for 3 seconds and let down. After one month, able to draw back my 55# bow and shoot 10 arrows, twice a week. I also exercise the left arm because I shoot LH also.

You can use these bands for lower back and arm strengthening movements also. The key is start light, work up to medium. Not a bad buy at $10.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©