3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradbow in the Tree Tops  (Read 585 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradbow in the Tree Tops
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
The excitement of a planned “away hunt” is like a drug to me. I get a ton of excitement from the planning and waiting and that’s why I try to set up a hunt as far in advance as possible. I started thinking about another African bowhunt years before it came along. It would be a retirement gift for myself from the fire department after 31 years and a hunt to share time with my 15 year old son Luke. Two things needed to happen- first, I needed to retire and second I needed my son to get a little older so that he would both be able to bowhunt with his recurve on the trip and fully appreciate the importance of the event. The four years flew by.
We decided that Namibia was where we wanted to go. It is a very safe location for travel and we had hunted there before. The location had proved to be extremely bowhunter friendly in the past and offered something that was important to me, options for hunting away from water holes. This would be my third trip there.
I have nothing against hunting at a waterhole. As a matter of fact, I had done it many times in my previous trips and found it to be a very exciting way to see staggering numbers of game. It is also great for the hunter that is inexperienced in learning to judge the large variety of game to learn so much more. Even determining the sex of many species is a difficult task for many antelope species for a first timer.  It also makes getting close to many of the species even possible. I had learned in previous adventures that stalking plains game species in the dry season is more difficult than you can imagine. I would compare it to stalking a turkey, with zero cover, on dry oak leaves. Yep, that is about how difficult it is.

For this trip, I wanted more. I HATE sitting in a blind. I know it is very productive but I always feel like I am looking at the world through a pipe. I had some past experiences hunting from tree stands in Africa and loved it. No doubt that it created some problems but I was ok with less success for the chance at taking all of my animals with a tradbow from the treetops.
The scent issue was a big one. Pit blinds help a great deal in containing scent and being in the open is a sure way to be detected by any animal anywhere near down wind.  Next was the issue of the uncanny ability of African game to spot predators. This issue would turn out to be huge when you combine it with the fact that I would be self-filming the hunt. Adding camera gear to any hunt compounds the difficulty.  I would rate African game as much more alert than North American game and this is greatly compounded by the fact that there are often 20-30 sets of eyes looking for danger.  I knew it would be difficult but it would be stalking and tree stand hunting or nothing at all.
Our hunt would be taking place in the Tsumeb region of Northern Namibia. June and July are mid-winter there and there would be little cover and extreme dry conditions. My son and I vowed to stalk early on and after eating enough humble pie we would move to the trees and some blind hunting for him. The best way to tell this story is from excerpts from my journal.
Journal Entry- Namibia 25 June, 2013:
The flight over is a grueling one and as we approached the African coast I had to wonder if this place would impact me the same way it has in the past.  The answer came quickly when the great dunes of Namibia’s Skeleton Coast appeared below us.  I actually felt my pulse quicken and the excitement began to build to a fever pitch. I felt like was coming home after being gone for six years. This is going to be awesome.
Hunting Day One- Wildebeest Hide:
We were accompanied on this hunt by my friend John Abbott. He had never hunted Africa and I thought I would spend the first half of the day in a blind watching him shoot and giving him the rapid course on judging the various species. We got up in the early morning and took a few minutes to shoot the bows and headed out.  Thirty minutes after arriving it was as if someone had opened the gate at a zoo. Waves of animals approached the water and when one animal finally drank it triggered a mass pandemonium. I was doing my best to help john pick out the right animal from the 6-7 species. The look on his face as he tried to take this incredible sight in for the first time was priceless. It only took one look at a great impala ram to know he wanted it. He made a great longbow shot and we watched it go down. Later, we spent the afternoon stalking gemsbok and I had a great bull at 12 yards but the shot was blocked by brush.
That night my son Luke recounted a full day of stalking. He told me “Dad, this is really hard”. He had gotten close on several animals but had not been able to seal the deal. He had also had a chance (and passed) on several Dharma dik-dik.  These are a very small 15 pound antelope and a rare treat to see at close range.
That night we all sat around a warm fire and watched several species including kudu, duiker, springbok and warthog come to a waterhole illuminated by a solar light just 60 yards from camp. We cook wild game every night over an open fire for dinner and it is better than any beef I have ever eaten.  This place is just simply awesome.

Day Two- Tamboti Forest:
Early morning found me high in a Tamboti tree in a small forest. The area we were hunting is primarily bushveld. This is an arid mix of thorny brush and grass lands. We had hung tree stands in the small woodland patches because they provided shade during the mid-day heat and trees large enough to conceal a hunter. About one hour in I was attempting to video a sand grouse and was caught flat footed by a group of Gemsbok and kudu cows. It took some time to reposition the camera and get the bow off the hook. I waited for a perfect quartering shot and watched as the arrow landed right where I was looking. Gemsbok are really tough animals but this one was quickly down in sight. After the recovery, I spent some time with Luke hunting a mid-day water hole and then back to the tree where I passed on another great Gemsbok.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradbow in the Tree Tops
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Day Three- Eland Waterhole Treestand:
I traveled some distance this morning to an area with a treestand that overlooked a waterhole from about 70 yards. My number one animal for this trip was zebra but this location had very few and were off the hunt list. Well, you don’t have to guess what came into 15 yards. Five Burchell zebra and a host of other animals including black wildebeest, waterbuck, duiker and kudu kept my head on a swivel all day. I also watched several warthog feed on a dead jackal. Some of the hogs were monsters.  Side note: I had been given some arrows by some friends and I had brought them along on the trip. Jeff K. had given me the Grizzly sticks and Dendy C. had made some fine cedar woodies for me. I had saved two of these woddies just for this trip.  I hope to put them to good use soon.

Luke and John had great days with John taking a kudu bull and a duiker and Luke taking a very wide impala and a good warthog.
Day Four- Tamboti Forrest:
Back to the forest where I saw some great kudu bulls and eland in the morning hours. The winds were swirling terribly.  I then acted as a cameraman for Luke at gemsbok water hole where I watched him pass on a 50” kudu bull at 12 yards. That boy has more patience than I could have dreamed of at that age.  Birdlife: How can there be so many species of beautiful birds in this arid place. The numbers and species variety is staggering.  

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Day Five- Marula Forest:
This is a forest area with some big trees. The stand is 25’ up in a Marula tree and completely concealed in the canopy. I passed on several impala early along with a scattering of warthog, gemsbok and duiker. Later, a very nice kudu bull followed a cow into a salt lick. He was at 12 yards but never presented the perfect shot for both the bow and camera at the same time. He eventually walked away. It had been requested that I cull a kudu cow so when I got the chance, I pulled the custom wood arrow (the Dendy Stick) from the quiver.  She finally gave me the perfect shot and I watched as those barred turkey feathers suddenly appeared right in the crease. The Delta broadhead did its work and the tracking job was a short one.

I hunted with Luke during mid-day and then he hunted the Eland waterhole where he had a 55” kudu close but it never gave him a perfect shot angle.
That night we tracked a big wounded warthog with dogs. The dogs cornered the big hog in an aardvark hole and when shot with a rifle, the hog charged killing one of the dogs and nearly getting one of the Professional Hunters. That little Jack Russell terrier showed a lion’s heart as he fought that giant hog. It tore us all up to see him pass.  

Day Six- Eland Treestand:
Wow, what a day! It was quiet for the first 90 minutes and then I was covered up by kudu, blesbok and black wildebeest. The stand was well placed but it is nearly impossible to move with 25 kudu standing under you.  The view of the water hole is obscured by several trees and at some point to great kudu bulls slipped in behind me. One appeared at my feet and was a shooter for sure but the other one that was behind me was a true monster bull. Getting a shot at him would require standing up, repositioning the camera arm, turning around and getting the bow off the hook- all with 25 kudu within 20 yards. A strong wind began to blow and this made all of this possible. I finally made the maneuvers and concentrated on the spot I wanted that arrow to hit. The white feathers on that grizzly stick indicated a perfect hit as the bull raced away. I lost sight of him as he ran around the water hole but I knew he would not go far. I radioed for trackers and within 10 minutes a loud growling sound began to emanate from the area where he had gone. I did not recognize the sound and was totally screened from seeing what was going on. Every animal was looking in that direction as well.  Moments later I looked up into the sky to see a vulture in a steep dive and realized what the sound was. I raced to climb down but heard the PH and trackers coming down the road. They instantly saw what was happening and raced to the downed bull. It was amazing that in just a few minutes around 50 vultures had found the dead bull. Luckily, we had gotten there before they had torn him to bits. A great bull at 55.5” but more importantly I had done it the way I had always wanted to do it, from a tree stand.

I did not think the day could get better but that afternoon my son shot a great kudu bull as well. John shot a good blue wildebeest. That afternoon I spent some time with Luke stalking birds on a vast plain near camp and watching an intense sundown.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
Day Seven- The Fig Tree:
I hunted a waterhole from the branches of a giant fig tree. This thing was massive and for 11 hours I balanced on a branch over the water. I saw kudu, warthogs and a host of other animals including a big black wildebeest that never really gave a good shot angle.  Luke is still on fire and shot a great red hartebeest. Even in head to toe camo I cannot believe how many animals spotted me high in that tree.  A leopard had also visited the water hole that morning.  That night we did a night drive and laughed like crazy as Luke and some of the others chased springhare, rabbits and genet cats on foot. Apparently it is difficult to see the many aardvark holes that litter the ground and we howled as they tripped and flipped in red dust clouds.  Man that is fun.

Day Eight- Wildebeest Waterhole Stand:
We went out late last night and placed a treestand near the waterhole. At first light two different herds of red hartebeest converged at the water and I got to watch as the bulls went to their knees to fight. A good bull gave me a perfect 17 yards shot and I made it count. I watched him go down at 60 yards.   I also came close on 30 blue wildebeest and saw over 70 kudu and many other animals. The winds are killing us during the middle of the days and we combat it by burning lines of zebra dung. Not always perfect but it often does fool the animals. I am sure I saw more than 25 warthogs in the morning alone. I have buddies back in Georgia that would FREAK if they could hunt hogs here. In the late afternoon, I had a massive bull giraffe roll into the water. I was 18 feet up and we were eyeball to eyeball. He did not seem pleased to see me up there.

Day Nine- Last day:
Back a wildebeest Waterhole.  Bad winds hurt me all day but I know I saw over 200 animals before lunch.  Luke got a nice springbok ram at kudu waterhole. That afternoon I spent just an hour at kudu waterhole. It was more for a bit of reflection time than hunting. I was treated by 5 giraffe coming to drink and a slender mongoose than came to the blind window looking for a handout. He let me feed him some crackers and then he bit me. Special note: Mongoose have VERY sharp teeth. This blind is the first spot that I hunted in Namibia in 2006. It is lined with exotic palms and also the first look at Africa that my children had in 2007. I have so many great memories there.  With a half hour of shooting light remaining, I stepped from the blind and walked to the edge of the big clearing. Listening as the African bush goes to sleep is a sound you will never forget and I wanted to take it in just one more time.

Hunt Summary:
The hunt is over and all that is left is the 8,000 mile journey home. We certainly miss our families but leaving here is always so hard to do. I think Luke is ready to move here.

End journal notes.

I knew Africa from the tree tops would be much more difficult but it turned out quite well. I saw so much from that different perspective. I certainly would not recommend it for a first time experience but if you are ever blessed with the opportunity to hunt there more than once, give it a try. You won’t be sorry. Africa will absolutely capture your soul.  I have been blessed with hunting some pretty awesome places but no place on earth calls to me the way Africa does. Somehow, someway, I will find a way to return here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and go along on the hunt. If anyone would like additional information on this awesome place, just visit my website or shoot me a PM. I can get bowhunting packages for Trad Gang members that will blow your mind.

Jerry

Equipment Summary:
Black Widow SAIII Recurve- 53@28
Grizzly Stick Carbon Shafts
Dendy Stick Custom Pine Shafts
Steel Force “Hellfire” Broadheads
Zwickey “Eskimo” Broadheads

Photo Credits: John Abbott, Luke and Jerry Russell

Offline Tickbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
That was an awesome story!  Even better was the chance to share it with your son.  Something I'm sure he will never forget.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Excellent post, Fireboss. looks like a great hunt.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Awesome pics man!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Excellent read with super great pics. Thanks for the journey!
Never wait too long!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Excellent read and pics! Looks magical. Congrats on a great hunt for you and your son    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I will try and get some videos up here before long. The amount of footage shot was unreal. We captured 10 hunts on HD cameras.

Guys, this hunt is so doable from a $ perspective. Depending on what you want to hunt from the 15+ species available there, I can get Trad Gang members a 5-6 species package hunt for less than $5,500. It is also the safest possible location you would ever want to go. I took my daughter there in 2007 and would not hesitate to do it again. Namibia is a beautiful, clean and friendly place to visit and the game density here is staggering. I have been very blessed to hunt three countries in Southern Africa and without a doubt this is the best bowhunting location I have seen. Just for the record, I don't make a penny off of hunts booked there. This is just something that I want to get the word out on. It is stickbow heaven.

If you have dreamed of Africa, don't wait till it's to late.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Jerry great hunt, thanks for taking the time to post it! Jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I always enjoy reading your posts.  Awesome!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Congrats! Thanks for sharing!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
thanks for sharing "awesome"
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:26:00 AM »
Awesome
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
Great read!  Thanks for the story and pics of your trip...   :thumbsup:

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Got to love those jack Russell's.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Easykeeper:
Great read!  Thanks for the story and pics of your trip...    :thumbsup:  
Your pictures make me want to go back. I went in 1995. It was quite a trip.
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©