3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bug spray  (Read 484 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bug spray
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Haven't used bug spray in nearly 10 years....THERMACELL
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Thermacell does keep flying bugs away, but does it also take care of ticks and chiggers ?

I'll have to try the bite blocker, thanks jhg, I'll try and let you know how it goes. It only lists black flies and mosquitos, like I said above,  it's the ticks and chiggers I worry about.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Thermacell does keep flying bugs away, but does it also take care of ticks and chiggers ?

I'll have to try the bite blocker, thanks jhg, I'll try and let you know how it goes.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
for keeping ticks and chiggers away I use home made spray 1cup distilled white vineger 2 cups water 2 tsp lemon juice. mix it up, put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. I haven't had a tick, chigger,fly and very few mosquitos. I only use it for 3D shoots and ground hog hunting. I don't mind the smell for that but deer hunting I use thermocell
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Permetherine is very effective against ticks and chiggers albeit not so effective against flying pests. I have come to accept flying bugs as a trade off against ticks.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Jake,

I've read stats quoted here on the effectiveness of permetherine to ward off misquitos... about 70% if memory serves me, which often anymore, it doesn't!

I spray down my face mask, shirt, coat, pants, socks, hat...then line dry... and I see skeets buzzing around my head, but they don't seem to land and bite...

Course, my hearing now sucks from tinnitus, so I don't hear them like I once did (skeets)but I swell up from every such bite... and Permetherin has served me well.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Doc, you are right. I spray all my clothing down as well but, since I don't use a face mask they tend to try to get at my face. Same if I wear short sleeves. Here in MO the risk of malaria or west Nile is fairly low and my fear of Lymes Disease is much greater. So when it gets a put thick I will spray a little off around my ears but, I hate the ticks much worse and permetherine is very very effective against them.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »
I did a permethrin soak on my clothes and it works very well indeed, the military knows it works too and if its good enough for them it's ok for me too.

I remember reading some studies a few years back and they claim that going over about 70% deet doesn't really increase the effectiveness.  Personally I hate the stuff but ill use the spray when I have to.  I haven't used 100% deet for years and don't ever intend on doing it again.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
A Thermacell is the answer.  It works and you obviously can't get overspray on ANYTHING.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I vote Thermacell    :archer:
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Yep deet messed up the finish on my little Browning 22 I had back in the 80s that stuff is potent. I just use my thermacell know.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I try to avoid DEET. Actually, I use very little repellant at all, just around my eyes and ears. I wear a face mask and gloves. I am using a bottle of all natural stuff that I have had for about 5 years.
Sam

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
In Dorchester Co, MD the mosquitoes are out in Dec. Thermocell works great while on stand but not while walking, you'll be eaten alive by the time you get to your stand. When using DEET products spray them on a paper towel and then apply to your body. You won't get any on your palms to harm finishes.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
yep, been there done similar with the deet, I'm really liking the botanical repellent that Off makes, there are a couple of them and I've had good luck with both.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
permethrin on clothes for ticks and chiggers,

picardin on skin, I use the 7% since I can't smell it once dry, the 15% had an odor. Picardin works pretty well but does require more frequent application then deet in a our hot skeeter infested areas. I use it when working/walking in the woods. Have not used deet for years. Just bought another 20 bottles for the season. Yeah I spend a lot of time in the woods.

Thermacel in stand but use picardin if needed as supplement when the little buggers are viscous.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©