3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning with vertical or canted bow.  (Read 232 times)

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning with vertical or canted bow.
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I shoot with close to a 45 degree cant because it gets the arrow under my eye. Should I tune my arrows this way? I'm asking because I've heard it's right to tune with a vertical bow, but that puts the back of the arrow out from under my eye and I hit left. My bare shaft seems to fly well, no nock right or left in flight. Thanks!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning with vertical or canted bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
tune the same way you shoot normally. if you tune vertical, you will be off when you go back to canting.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
If it's a recurve or r/d longbow and you shoot with a canted style it shouldn't matter because the grip is centered in the bow. The only time I think this would matter would be when tuning a Hill style longbow.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I have herd it both ways. Some say vertical is correct and others say tune the way you shoot.  I have tried both ways. What I have found is if you bareshaft with your natural cant nock height is very critical and magnified if off just a little.

I have been trying to find an answer for myself for a few years now because shooting a bow perfectly vertical is like puking.... It just feel unnatural!

If an arrow is truly in tune with the bow and your shooting style it makes no difference how the bow is canted. The arrow will fly true.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far! Do you guys always shoot with the arrow directly under your eye?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
It's important to always shoot with the arrow in the same relative location wrt your eye. I think it eliminates some variables if that location is directly under your eye.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
First I am a lefty. However I tune my bow vertical I shoot with the bow canted to 11 o'clock. When Storm (my bow) fliies her arrows perfict from the vertical possition it only takes me two or three shots to adjust to the new piont of impact. I've found for myself that the further left I lean her the further left she will hit. How ever the verticle to the target remains the same.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Tune your bow the way you shoot.  It's a little easier to interpret what's going on with a vertical bow but that's not how you shoot and if you try to shoot that way it will throw off your shot...and your tuning procedure.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Timely thread, I was just wondering the same thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©