3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grain orientation.....yes, it can matter  (Read 607 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Grain orientation.....yes, it can matter
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
I had an arrow break on me today when I dropped the string.  I orient my arrows such that the run outs point up....was taught to make them in the mid 80's.  This particular arrow was one of my blank bale arrows that has been shot into a Rhino Block target from a distance of 10 feet......approximately 5-6K times.  I keep 3 wood arrows of different spines at my work bench for this purpose as I tend to be an early riser and this is a great time to get some bale work done. This has been this arrows' only use, so it has never slapped another arrow, nor has it been hit by another arrow in a target.  The other two arrows have had at least this many shots.....I quickly replaced them.

When it happened I immediately started looking for blood and waiting for something to hurt, but no blood, and no pain.  I was fortunate that both pieces hit the target, with the nock end impacting 4" higher, but remember this was from only 10' away.

There are folks who say grain orientation doesn't really matter. I've shot wood arrows 75% of the time over the last 4 years, and 100% of the time from the mid 80's to 1998.  This is the first incident where an arrow broke without an impact of some kind that I have ever had.  I think I'll continue to build 'em this way.  Rob

ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grain orientation.....yes, it can matter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Glad you are OK. Good reminder for the rest of us.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Build my woodies the same way just in case this ever happens, I did have a nock break on me the other day on one of my first shoots out of a brand new Super D. Kinda made the old butt PUCKER UP.
   :bigsmyl:

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Glad you are OK, Rob!

That means we can go to the shoot in Bastrop on the 4th!!!!!   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Bisch

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Glad you are OK, Rob!

That means we can go to the shoot in Bastrop on the 4th!!!!!    :bigsmyl:      :bigsmyl:      :bigsmyl:  

Bisch
That and HCB this Sunday.  Samantha's ready to take ya on!  She ain't skeered.    :laughing:
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Glad to read you had no injuries from this.
I build arrows the same way but I've always wondered if it really mattered since I have never seen an arrow break along the rift line like that.
Thanks very much for the documentation.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Glad to hear you had no injuries!
Rob, I to was taught to build arrows, paying special attention to the run out in the grain as well.......grain orientation does matter.
Yrs. ago I used to shoot from time to time with a gentleman that bore the scar of a busted shaft in the meaty part of his palm....it made me a believer in orientation.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Green:

Originally posted by Bisch:
Glad you are OK, Rob!

That means we can go to the shoot in Bastrop on the 4th!!!!!     :bigsmyl:        :bigsmyl:        :bigsmyl:    

Bisch
That and HCB this Sunday.  Samantha's ready to take ya on!  She ain't skeered.     :laughing:  [/b]
I was so skeered of her though, that I am going hunting instead!  :archer2:  

Bisch

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
You've earned it Amigo....but I know a teenage girl who's going to be dissappointed.     :biglaugh:

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Had it happen to me but I was not so lucky, had a doug fir shard with about 3in of feather imbedded in my left hand all the way to knuckle took about a month plus to heal and  2 rounds of antibiotics it was nasty ! Your a lucky guy for sure!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Rob

Glad your o.k. Makes me rethink hunting itch woodies   :scared:

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Mitch - the critters are still far more in danger of getting hurt than you are with wood arra's.      :eek:    

I've seen pics of carbons exploding and going through the web of guys palms, those things are nasty!  I'll take wood any day.  As I said, this arrow was subjected to far more stress than most would see in their lifetime.

Ripforce - man that's bad.  Sorry to hear about it, and glad it worked out okay in the end.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Yeah, it's not just wood arrows. A guy I work with had an aluminum arrow break and bury itself into his wrist. A few operations later, and after time to heal, he found out he could no longer shoot because he was so afraid it would happen again. He sold everything and quit.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Hi Rob,
Man, glad you are OK. I had one of those hex shafts that you painted up for me do that in the bale. 'Course it had passed through the bale and hit the plywood backing behind the bale. It broke about 4" behind the point.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
glad your ok, I was taught the same on grain where if it breaks it wont run into your hand,
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline chall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Glad your ok ,that's a scary thought going into your hand.
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Had that happen to once and my butt pinched 5 or 6 button holes in my pants before I settled down
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Happy to hear you are ok. That is a scary situation.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I have a few arrows with grain run out, I am slowly getting through them, and may decide its not worth it. I usually only use arrows without...

Glad you didn't get stuck!

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Glad to hear no blood,no foul.Sometimes wood is just wood and kind of has its own mind that we can only guess at.I broke a bow once right at the fade.When I came to,looked like Mike Tyson hit me in the eye.Bad part was,no warning.It was my old fave, I thought would live forever.Wood is wood,wood is good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©