3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coues deer in az  (Read 340 times)

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
Coues deer in az
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
this may be in a different thread (i am new to the forum so havent quite figured it all out) but i recently came from the midwest, indiana to be specific, and am new to the desert area and am wondering how many have taken a coues deer with trad equipment and if you could give any advice seems how indiana is far different than arizona.   :help:   . any help would be good.
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coues deer in az
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I have read a number of stories over the years of hunters using binoculars to find bedded bucks then stalking, much like hunting Sheep.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
It's hard to spot a stalk . Water hole are better
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
I am in meetings out of town all week but would like to talk with you about hunting coues in AZ.  Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call.
Mark

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
thank you all. i have heard about spotting and stalking. haha unlike indiana where you usually it in a tree most of the time, its all new to me..i appreciate the feedback. i live right by the tonto national forest and am not afraid to have to work to get my deer...its not in my nature to do things the easy way otherwise i would not be shooting trad gear    :p
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »

I shot this one a few years ago over a water hole in AZ.  Used a black widow PSR.  Jim

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Great looking buck Jim! I'll be watching this one, I've been wanting to hunt Coues for quite a while now.

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I didn't have any luck hunting the coues deer.  Only had the opportunity to hunt one season.  I hunted watering holes and could have taken a doe but I was in a buck only area.  I did get busted by a beautiful chocolate horned 6 pointer at 60 yards one evening.  

My advise is to find a friend who bow hunts in your area and learn from them.  I winged it and my Mid-west tactics failed miserably in AZ.  I learned a lot just on my own but I dont think I would be successful until I had many years of experience under my belt.  Also get into shape.  Those mountains and rolling hills are a pain (at least in SE AZ)!

BTW What Part of AZ are you in?
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I want to hunt them bad! Jim that is a great buck!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Jim thats a good looking buck. Nice bow too    :cool:  i am currently staying in the apache junction area right next to the tonto national forest. I moved to AZ for health and now have to re-learn how to hunt out here seems how its a completely different game out here. i know its gonna be tricky but hey who doesnt like a good challenge    :D

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I hope to chase them when I retire there someday...8^)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©