3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting gear if you can't control your temp well?  (Read 282 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting gear if you can't control your temp well?
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Between the ravages of disease and a head injury when I was younger, I don't control my temp right at all.  In the summer I can overheat, but sweat finally kicks in and I can make it.  Not comfortable like it used to be, but I make it all right.  But in the winter, my body has a very hard time handling the cold.  I know that the deer are not going to give me a free pass, so for those with poor circulation, what do you guys use to keep you out in the field?  Any tricks, or is it really just down to gear?

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting gear if you can't control your temp well?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
How cold is cold to you?

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Around 70 or so my body starts cutting blood flow to my hands and feet, and it goes downhill from there.  I used to love the 60-65 degree weather around here until my hands started going numb.  I have severe Raynaud's syndrome, if it helps any.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Raynaud's is a whole different animal.  My BIL has had it for 45 years and still hunts up here in Wisconsin though I have seen his hands and feet totally white many times.  Try Merino wool underwear, neck gaters, balaclavas, gloves, etc.  It's the best I have come across personally.  Beyond that you might try some of the newer electric vests (I've seen them for motorcyclists) that look like they would work.  I don't know of anything that consistantly works for Raynaud's - sorry.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
When it gets cold I like to use foot Warner's with the sticky side and put them on my kidney area. I have learned to put them on once at the tree because while walking they tend to make me really hot.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Merino wool base and a heater body suit for the cold.  No gear beats a HBS for keeping you warm.  Sorry about your condition.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I agree with NBK, the heater body suit is the way to go, they are a little pricy, but you will be warm.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I'm sure there are others but I know rigid tools has a battery heated jacket I tried on once and it will flat warm you up. It comes in camo too..

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
For your hands, I would suggest Military surplus Artic Mittens. We used them when I was in the Marines in Norway & Alaska. -40 to -60 degree temps and our hands were always warm! The mittens are pretty much useless for doing anything with them on though... They have a string on them that goes through the arms of your Parka. Take them off when you need to shoot. Put your shooting glove on & then the mitten. With practice, you might even be able to shoot with one on your bow hand. Good Luck!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©