3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toms- some are lovers, some fighters  (Read 329 times)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Toms- some are lovers, some fighters
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I've been sitting on this one for awhile.            I am fortunate to live on a farm, it gives me a little bit better insight on the location of wildlife. I watched 3 longbeards  feed until last light in last years corn field across the road from our place. They went to roost in a big cottonwood tree in the creek bottom on the west side of that field.  So I made sure to be in a blind that I had setup a couple days earlier when I started seeing birds using  that field before first light the next  morning. I had been using a single hen decoy with turkey skinz on it, but decided that since most of the hens are bred that I would throw a jake decoy out there too about 8 yards in front of the blind. Called lightly when the gobblers were really cranking it up this morning on the roost. As soon as I got a response I shut up. At daylight a hen came off the roost and landed about 20 yards in front of the decoys. As she fed out to about 60 yards I heard the gobblers fly down. One was gobbling going away,so I thought time to pour another cup of coffee. Just got it poured and low and behold two of the toms stepped out of the timber. I threw out  about five soft yelps and they started my way. There was a strip of grass about 20-30 yards wide for them to cross to get to the old corn field. When they reached the edge of the grass they stopped and I putted once, purred and then yelped softly. They both strutted and gobbled, then came at a fast walk right to the decoys. The first one reached the jake and started kicking the crap out of it while the other one stepped around the jake flogging and  mounted the hen decoy . As the tom got off of the jake decoy he was abusing I released an arrow. Got a complete pass thru and the hit looked good. The tom went down and rolled around, so I thought dead bird. I grabbed the second arrow,  drew and released on the tom that was on the hen decoy. Still in the saddle I caught him perfect and he cartwheeled off only going ten feet, before giving up the ghost. Then to my amazement the first one got up and headed for the timber walking like a drunk. I wasn't prepared for a third arrow until he was out of range. He stopped at sixty yards at the base of a tree and stood there for 1/2 an hour. I called several times to see if he might move back in range. Then he disappeared and I figured he went down for good. Gave him an additional 15 minutes and went to check on him. He was about 10 yards in the timber and took off. Our spring season allows us to take 2 toms. This would be my first double. I looked all afternoon for him , but never found him. In retrospect I should have left for a couple hours, then came back to look for him. Sadly he became a meal for the coyotes as I never found him. I was using one of my Wing Thunderbirds, 57#@29 1/4'” with 2215 Eastons and a 4 blade Zwickey Eskimo.                    Scene of the crime.                                                                                                                                        
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toms- some are lovers, some fighters
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Nice job

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Nice setup, and congrats on a great hunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Nice bird Ben!!  TO bad the first one gave you the slip on completing the double.  Those birds sure can take a hit!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
thxs for sharing nice pics!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Great job! sorry to hear of the one that got away.  It happens.  Hind sight is 20/20.  but I think most of us would have done the same thing thinking the bird was dead.

I guess dead is dead and always best to wait regardless.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
Nice job Ben looks like you have a great place to hunt.I guess not just Ben Pearson bows work for you.Kip   :wavey:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
They sure are fun to hunt.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Very nice!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Well done,nice bird and bow.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Great hunt.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Great job! Thanks for sharing.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Great hunt Ben...thanks for sharing at a time when we need a good hunting story...congrats!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
About time you posted this story   :bigsmyl:  

Congrats again buddy.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
About time you posted this story   :bigsmyl:  

Congrats again buddy.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Great job Ben!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Very nice! Congratulations.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©