3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips / Recommendations for Caribou hunt  (Read 283 times)

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips / Recommendations for Caribou hunt
« on: July 23, 2013, 03:41:00 AM »
Hi all, I have invited my dad for his birthday for a Quebec Labrador Caribou hunt and we are really pumped!

My dad is a rifle hunter and he will hunt both caribous with a rifle.  But I am going with my longbow, so any of the experts out there that can give me input and tips for the hunt are very welcome since I have only hunted whitetails with my bow.

The set up I am planning to take is:
- A&H 56@27 Two pice longbow 56" AMO
- FMJ 400 arrows (28.5 in) with cooper HIT inserts (75 gr)
- 100 gr Silver Flames
- EFA Mesa 5 arrow bow quiver
- KUIU Vias gear & Yukon raingear

I am going to hunt from Sept 7-13 with Kevin Mattice from High North Outfitting since a good friend recommended him a lot.

I really don't know how this hunt will be, so any of you that have taken this trip, I would really like to hear your input on things to take, how to hunt, etc.

thanks all for your comments in advance,
Roberto Carrillo
Beto Carrillo

A&H Two-piece longbow / Shrew Lil' Recurve / Black Swan Three-piece Recurve

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips / Recommendations for Caribou hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Best rain gear you can afford - rained the whole time I was there.

Learn to shoot in wind - plenty of that too.

Lots of arrows - ptarmigan are great for lunch!!

Bug spray-100% deet. U won't care about cancer when bugs come out.....not often but when they do / oh my.

Water purifier was nice. Get water any where.

Fly rod - if caribou are there u will have time to fish after hunt.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
:campfire:  I'll be watching this one!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Ditto what PAmike said plus - Don't forget a headnet that you can tuck into your collar.  When the bugs are bad they are unbelievable.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Thankyou all for your comments, I greatly appreciate all input since this hunt is very different than what I am used too.

I went and bought enough of the Max Deet and the Off deep woods. Hopefully they will do the job.

KUIU Yukon gear should be awesome for the rain. Any recomendations on keeping feathers dry? I bought the powder commonly sold for this purpose but I have never tried it.

How about shot distance and stalking strategies for this Caribou? Any thoughts?
Beto Carrillo

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
I would use a cat quiver if you are using feathers. There is no way you will keep them dry on the bow. Personally I used vanes with the other type of bow (years ago). But if I did it now with trad gear I would use elevated rest and vanes. It rained that much.

When I was there the caribou were not there in "herds" just a couple here and there. I shot mine at 35 yards and it would have been very tough with trad gear. BUT that is not the norm and you most likely have many more animals. We were essentially spot and stalk caribou hunting. I loved it but it was hard.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I was there about the 3rd week of August-the migration was "on". Take a video camera,I'm glad I did cause the number of animals we saw was incredible! I took a spinning rod & small spoons painted flouresant orange(a tip from a very "senior" buddy with many fishing trips into Canada, Newfoundland & Labrador.)-I caught many lake trout 25"-30" on 7 out of 10 casts while other guys using other lures(not flo-orange)barely got any hits-gave some of my painted spoons out & they started catching fish.The old boy knew what he was talking about! The Northern light show every night was great too. Hope you get into some animals. Have fun!

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
Pamike - Thanks for helping me with this issues. I might try to practice with some arrows with vanes and see how my bow performs.

huntmaster 70 - I will definitely take your advice on the spoons!

Anything else I might miss?
Beto Carrillo

Offline mrjeffro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Your timing should be perfect. Expect about 1/4 of the caribou to be hard horned. The rest will  be in velvet. Some guys bring chemicals to preserve the velvet. The artificial velvet most taxidermists use comes out nice.

I have been on a couple caribou hunts and the best piece of advice I can give ( besides great rain gear) is if you have a group of caribou walking away from you let them walk.LOL!  It doesn't look like they walk fast and you just KNOW you can catch up to them....ain't going to happen!!!!

Helley Hansen makes really nice rain gear without braking the bank. Sitka gear is great for all day wearing and in light rain.

Bring the best FULL SIZE binoculars you can get. The little binos we use for deer hunting just don't work as nice as a set of 10x42's. Spotting scopes are nice but a hassel to carry around.

Chapstick comes in handy on those windy days ( and it is always windy)

Get a fishing license. GREAT fishing up there. Don't forget small game license too.

Good luck. Beautiful country out on the tundra

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks mrjeffro - I greatly appreciate all your (and everybody elses) good advice and will take it into account.

I am actually looking to get a new set of binos 10x42, and was looking at the leupolds, they seem a good brand for the price.

Any recomendations on shooting distance with longbow? can you get close to them in the tundra?

I am very excited, esspecially because I will have the oportunity of going with my dad, it should be a great trip.
thanks
Beto Carrillo

Offline mrjeffro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Another nice set of 10x42's are the Nikon Monarch ATB's . Great bino for the price ( I think around $299) ...not sure if they make them anymore

I am new to the traditional scene but the ones I shot with the compound ranged from 16 yards to 48 yards. I have had bulls within 3 yards of me. If there is cover and you "guess" there direction  right and don't move, they will walk right by you. Some guides like to put bowhunters at river crossings where closer shots are the norm.

Going caribou hunting is a blast and going with your dad is just icing on the cake!! Be prepared to do alot of walking. Comfortable boots a must!!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Check into how Fred eichler does it with vanes. It should should work out good for you.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I have never been but I'm planning as well for the future. A good and an extra pair of boots, maybe one pair of those pull up hip boots, extra merino socks, bug control(Canadian bug shirt), therma-Cell, rain gear.

These thing should make you comfortable.

Your going to Quebec to hunt caribou! Does anything else matter, LOL

Oh yeah, camera(s)
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
I found that a pair of high snake boots made for great support and ankle protection on the rocks. It's rockier and steeper than it looks. I would also recommend practicing at 40+ yards. It paid off for me on a 55 yard shot. Bring some Benadryl cream for the black fly and mosquito bites...you will get them. Really good rain gear is essential. Good bino's too. Best of luck.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
After you decide to take the shot don't look at the antlers!  The first one I shot right where I was looking, and stuck the arrow into the velvet antler.  Watched the bull head over the hill with my arrow sticking out to the side of his antler!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Lots of good thoughts here.  As Jeffro mentioned, once they've passed you, you can't catch up.  Let them go and set up for the next group.  One group will tend to follow the same path as the group before, esp if it forms a narrows.  If you can spot them coming from a distance, try to predict their path and set up ahead of them.  Caribou seldom stand still and then not for long.  Practice walking speed shots.  I killed both of mine walking at 10 yds.  Watch your wind, they have a good nose and use it.  I use the powder on my feathers.  Have fun and eat some blueberries.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Satellite phone.  The outfitter may have one in camp but its great insurance and you can let everyone back home know that you and your dad are okay.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Wow! This is amazing advice and each if the recommendations are great.

I really thank all the good vibe and will take seriously each recomendation posted here.

This has definetely helped me to be prepared so much better for this hunt and know what to expect from a perspective of a trad hunter.

Thankyou all.
Beto
Beto Carrillo

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Good Post buddy !!

Good luck on the hunt and let me know so we can practice together and I can vizualize a hunt like this in the future

Thanks
Gerardo Rodriguez

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©